Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Corded tire?

So I take my car in for alignment today in preparation for track-day tomorrow at Inde Motorsport ranch, and I got a nice little surprise. It turns out the camber bolt twisted sometime earlier in I got 3.4 degrees of camber on my driver side front wheel. Needless to stay it started wearing the inside of the tire. Wondering if anybody knows if this type of where can cause a major problem on a track. I feel no loss of traction, see new loss of air at all. I will be mostly using the mid to outer sections of these tires as evident by previous track sessions by the current track alignment they have..
It's a real bummer, wondering if anyone has had experience with something like this
Attached Images

DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
You're asking the forum if you should run a tire that's no longer safe for street use at a track event? Hmm
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
DOHCVTEC

I'm pretty sure I'm not going, it's probably more of a question as to what happens to the tire after cords are showing like this, other than loss of traction. And has anyone experienced this.

Let me rephrase this, I'm definitely not going..
Just cant find any good information as to the effects of such wear to a relatively new tire
Old 05-26-2019, 05:41 AM   #4
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
No, you shouldn’t run that tire. And unless you have camber plates or something is broken you don’t have -3.4 of camber. Did a shop read -3.4?
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
No, you shouldn’t run that tire. And unless you have camber plates or something is broken you don’t have -3.4 of camber. Did a shop read -3.4?
^^^This... There is no way you have -3.4. Toe could be way off too.

...I have no idea why you're even trying to run that tire anywhere.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
So I take my car in for alignment today in preparation for track-day tomorrow at Inde Motorsport ranch, and I got a nice little surprise. It turns out the camber bolt twisted sometime earlier in I got 3.4 degrees of camber on my driver side front wheel. Needless to stay it started wearing the inside of the tire. Wondering if anybody knows if this type of where can cause a major problem on a track. I feel no loss of traction, see new loss of air at all. I will be mostly using the mid to outer sections of these tires as evident by previous track sessions by the current track alignment they have..
It's a real bummer, wondering if anyone has had experience with something like this
(1) It won't pass tech

(2) Even on the street, you're only a few miles away from a fairly rapid loss of inflation. It probably won't be blowout-from-a-pothole-strike-sudden, but it'll be pretty damn quick when it does happen. Been there exactly once, sort of, with a tire that went from not quite into the cord to zero inflation in surprisingly few miles. Circa 1966, some things you tend to remember.

Norm
Old 05-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
DOHCVTEC

Shop red -3.4, said that the camber bolt they installed twisted around by itself and caused this problem.
Norm, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense
Old 05-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #8
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
That tire wear is not likely to be from camber alone. Yes, camber can wear a tire on the inside. But, it the camber changed because of a bolt slipping after the alignment was finished, you got toe change. Our cars, as with most front engine rear drive cars, have the steering on the front of the axle centerline. When you increase negative camber the result is an increase in toe to the negative(toe out). Toe out will excessively wear the inside of the tire much more rapidly than camber will.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #9
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
Shop red -3.4, said that the camber bolt they installed twisted around by itself and caused this problem.
Norm, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense
Find a new shop, their alignment rack is way off! Regardless, don’t run the tire
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Find a new shop, their alignment rack is way off! Regardless, don’t run the tire
for sure on my to do list. definitely not happy with them right now, very very not happy.. its a beautiful day at Inde and I'm not there
Old 05-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
If they were correct that the bolt slipped on its own, that should be pointing a finger at whoever did the final torquing on it.

I'd expect that to happen occasionally with most of the aftermarket "camber bolts" used on Mustangs and other cars, not on what should have been a factory OE or OE replacement fastener.

What Scar said - that wear came mostly from the toe being way out. Give the tire on the other side a close inspection for somewhat similar wear, or at least accelerated wear on the inboard shoulder from trying to compensate for the bad toe on one side with steering input in the other direction.

Norm
Old 05-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #12
DOHCVTEC

The other side is fine.. they immediately said they torqued it to spec, but I have very little trust with their alignment guys at this point