Old 05-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #29
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
I also sold my C7 Z06 for the ZL1 1LE.

From my experience, I moved 'up'.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #30
siggy_30

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Is anyone concerned about the depreciation over 5 years of a Camaro vs Corvette? I would love ZL1 as it would fit the family needs better, but I struggle with how quickly Camaros depreciate. As soon as the next generation Camaro comes out, you’re basically left with a car that is worth very little. That doesn’t seem to be the case for Corvettes as they seem to hold their values for much longer.
siggy_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:08 PM   #31
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
You’re correct. Corvettes have traditionally held their value better than Camaros. Any time a new model comes out that depreciates the previous models. The problem with the C7 is the anticipation of the C8 which comes out this year and will be a revolution in the tradition of the Corvette. This is something I’ve onsidered too
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #32
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggy_30 View Post
but I struggle with how quickly Camaros depreciate. As soon as the next generation Camaro comes out, you’re basically left with a car that is worth very little.
What is this based on?

I bought my 2015 ZL1 fully loaded in 2015 for 52k.
I just looked on Cars.com and found a similar one selling for 42k.
I just saw a 2013 Z06 (with less miles) sell for 45k (which likely had a much higher new price).

Gen6 Camaro began in 2016 and will likely last until 2023, given that the Gen5 was from 2008 to 2015.

Now if we assume the Gen7 ZL1 wont even come into production until a couple years into Gen7, that means you've got at least 5 or 6 years of having the Top-Camaro.

If you want good resale, buy a lightly used car.
For best resale, buy a lightly used Honda Civic.

EDIT:
I think more than camaro vs corvette, I think its generational gap.
C6 -> C7 Z06 gained a supercharger
C7 -> C8 ??? going mid-engine.
Gen5 -> Gen6 got slightly smaller and lighter.
Gen6 -> Gen7, definitely not going mid-engine.
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #33
siggy_30

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
What is this based on?

I bought my 2015 ZL1 fully loaded in 2015 for 52k.
I just looked on Cars.com and found a similar one selling for 42k.
I just saw a 2013 Z06 (with less miles) sell for 45k (which likely had a much higher new price).

Gen6 Camaro began in 2016 and will likely last until 2023, given that the Gen5 was from 2008 to 2015.

Now if we assume the Gen7 ZL1 wont even come into production until a couple years into Gen7, that means you've got at least 5 or 6 years of having the Top-Camaro.

If you want good resale, buy a lightly used car.
For best resale, buy a lightly used Honda Civic.

EDIT:
I think more than camaro vs corvette, I think its generational gap.
C6 -> C7 Z06 gained a supercharger
C7 -> C8 ??? going mid-engine.
Gen5 -> Gen6 got slightly smaller and lighter.
Gen6 -> Gen7, definitely not going mid-engine.
Valid points. I think $42k for a 2015 ZL1 is probably generous though. Did it sell for that much or is that what it’s listed at? I hopped on cargurus and most are in the low 30’s. I do agree on the generational gap, and I’m probably not being fair on the ZL1 retaining its value better compared to other Camaros.
siggy_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #34
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
You’re correct. Corvettes have traditionally held their value better than Camaros. Any time a new model comes out that depreciates the previous models. The problem with the C7 is the anticipation of the C8 which comes out this year and will be a revolution in the tradition of the Corvette. This is something I’ve onsidered too
I think the ZL1’s hold there value fairly well. I think the percentage is very comparable to the Z06. I would say your correct with the SS model.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #35
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you were asking which one to buy as in you're going to purchase one and you don't currently have either car...then I would say go with the Z06. Since you already have the ZL1 and it is basically new I would say just stick with it. That is unless the dealership gives you a deal you just can't turn down. Regardless of the C8s, the C7 Z06s will still be sought after very much. They are still very powerful very fast cars at the top of the food chain right now. The C8s will be nice. But I'm not interested in the standard trim. I'll wait for the C8 Z06 which should arrive right around the time I'm done paying off my current cars!

So basically, keep your car unless it is a smoking hot deal to get the Z06. If you ask me, the ZL1 is beautiful car but it is still a Camaro. The Z06 is a Vette. That is enough to make it more desirable.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:36 AM   #36
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Where I live I will see 25 GS or Z06s long before I see a ZL1. Never mind a ZLE.
In the short time. I have been driving my car I have really found nobody knows what this car is. I’m serious. Nobody really even knows what a ZL1 is.
I looked at Z06s long and hard. 43gs more money.
Yeah right. No goddam way the price increase reflects a performance advantage. If anything the ZL1 is the better performer. Maybe not in a drag race but lapping on a track????
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:38 AM   #37
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
In fact, I had never seen a sixth gen ZL1 in person until about 2 months ago. Fellow member Sibze bought the car from the dealer I went to look at it at.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:40 AM   #38
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
I keep hearing and reading a lot of Chevy guys and gals stating the C7 is going to drop in value. I'm not an expert in Chevrolet, but I am definitely a car guy, I'm currently in the car business, and although I've recently had a slew of German cars, I still have my finger on the pulse. I'm going to respectfully disagree with the C7's dropping in value when the C8 comes out.
Let me explain: First, the regular Corvette buyer is going to have a bit of sticker shock when the C8's drop. Second, the Vette purists are going to take a loooong time to warm up to the mid engine idea. Third, this is a Corvette, not a Porsche (which means first year and first gen mid engine cars are likely to be riddled with issues that will take time to get resolved as Chevy is learning more about this platform). The reason why I say it's a Vette, not a Porsche is because Porsche does a silly amount of testing (literally all over the world) before they drop a new car or platform on the market. That's why Porsche new gen cars/trucks rarely have major issues out of the gate. I'm a car enthusiast, not just a Porsche fan boy. I do believe the C7 will initially drop in value when the C8 is released, but I believe that will be short lived (maybe 6 months after we start actually seeing new C8's on the road), then they will go back up to almost where they are now, possibly a bit higher... This is my theory, so no need for anyone to punch me in the nose over this, but this is what I believe will happen with C7 values when C8's finally drop.

To answer the OP: personally, if you really want a new Vette, I don't think there will be a better time than RIGHT NOW! This is a killer time to buy a Vette! As long as they offer you a legit value for your car and a heavily discounted Vette, it's a great time to consider it... I also was considering a Vette, not because I've always wanted one, but because the deals are so aggressive. With my daily commute being 100 miles roundtrip daily, and my love for a quick nap in the car before walking into the gym after work, the Camaro will suit my needs best. It seems that with Chevy, the most aggressive pricing always falls in July and November (correct me if I'm wrong here). FYI: I'm Not advising you to trade your ZL1 for a Z06, I'm simply saying if you've always wanted a Vette, the timing is right...

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5

Last edited by TEST DRyVer; 05-26-2019 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Grammatical error
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:30 AM   #39
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I live in LA and drive to work on the 405 every day in my MDX, in the six months I’ve had my 2018 ZLE I’ve never seen another one except at the dealer or track. I’ve seen a few ZL1s, but not a single ZLE. I see a C7 Z06, GT 350 or M3/4 every day, and many GT3 RSs, F 488s, Huracans, etc. It’s weird, people in LA don’t like or know about this car. But I expected to at least see a few, I know they’re here, I see them at the track. 6 months, zero ZLE sightings except dealer and track.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:29 AM   #40
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

From the reviews that I read specially from MT, they preferred the ZL1 to the Z06 because it feels more stable, more planted to the road. I would keep the ZL1, if you don't mind the looks of the C7 Corvette. The Z06 would be faster only because is lighter. But the big difference would be the confidence level on a car that suddenly could steep out. The confidence level of the N.A. engine Corvette Grand Sport is higher compared to the Z06.
In other hand you have a perfect marriage of the Camaro's Alpha platform with the S.C. V8
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 05-26-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #41
Bosse'sBoss

Yes 5th and 6th gen ZL1s on the street aren't common compared to the Corvettes. Where I live I only saw another 5th gen ZL1 besides mine and no 6th gen ZL1, this car would have a very precious classic value on the future is a keeper and it's the best performance monstrous Camaro.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 05-26-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #42
Bosse'sBoss

Talking

If you see my list below, I went from a 5th gen Camaro ZL1 to a Corvette Stingray Z51, and then back to a 6th gen Camaro SS. I loved my C7 Corvette external and interior design, but that car was an unreliable bitch which would like to be frequently at the dealer repair shop and twice it let me stranded and was towed.
Also the only time that I took it to my local DDE track, it wasn't able to finish any course after few laps and then overheating the rear because of improper cooling design of the automatic transmission, I felt very embarrassed looking at even Honda Civics finishing their laps with my dam Corvette stranded with an open hood waiting to cool down. At the road the car drives great, has the low seating driving feeling, jet cockpit interior design, has the amazing exterior design which looks like an italian exotic sport car. Everyone stared toward my car because the design is beautiful. But for some reason that I can't explain both of my Camaros 5th gen ZL1 and the 6th gen SS have proven to be way more reliable. Do I miss my Corvette? Hell no, I wouldn't go back to one.
The ZL1 is great for spirited DD and track performance followed by the SS1LE and then the SS.👍
Attached Images

'02 Porsche 911 Carrera

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 05-26-2019 at 07:37 AM.