Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 05-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #15
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Yeah it is a lot easier to just have a local guy do the tune, I know you are kind of stuck now having made purchases and all of that but I like being able to drop my car off and then go pick it up when it is done over all of this crap.
But no where near as satisfying
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:57 PM   #16
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
But no where near as satisfying
I don't know, I feel pretty satisfied when I can drop my car off and then pick it up and go play in it without going through all of that. I mean I am paying for someone to tune it anyway so what's the point of doing all of the extra work? If they can't get to a local tuner or don't have a good one sure but when have access to a good tuner why go through the extra trouble and expense?
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:21 PM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
I don't know, I feel pretty satisfied when I can drop my car off and then pick it up and go play in it without going through all of that. I mean I am paying for someone to tune it anyway so what's the point of doing all of the extra work? If they can't get to a local tuner or don't have a good one sure but when have access to a good tuner why go through the extra trouble and expense?
It typically works out less cost and you become part of the process then you learn your car and know for sure it is actually a good tune instead of being told it is and never really know.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #18
Silentlegion

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Manual (Karnage)
Hi, I know you want to tune your vehicle with HP Tuners as that is what you ended up getting but my best suggestion is read... read... and read some more... when you think you know, question it and find out if its correct until you are 100% certain you know it.

Luckily, HP Tuners has a forum sections that everyone goes and talks on and also you can find instructions on how to tune as well. I highly suggest reading about it and understanding what you will be doing before going and trying to do it and end up with an issue that you dont know how to fix.

I just came over from a Pontiac G8 Gt. G8 board has a section on how to tune the vehicle with instructions: https://www.g8board.com/forums/24-pc...ng-basics.html

https://www.g8board.com/forums/24-pc...pt-basics.html

I dont know how accurate or info related this is to our cars as we are now LT engines and not LS engines and a diffrent transmission but its something that can give you a general basic guide line or can give you a little bit of understanding of what is what and were to find it.

I wish we had a general tuning guidline like this in our forums. Also know anything you change can impact your vehicle. I have learned that price on my previous car by trying to get better mpg by tuning the spark detentation but was not looking to see if i was getting any knock from the vehicle.... tuned it enough that on my way to dallas i blew a piston... tow, new engine, and labor cost me over 6k. But hey lesson learned in a big way. If you do anything i highly suggest doing small increment changes and watching it through the scanner to make sure you are not making a bad mistake or heading in the wrong direction.

HP Tuners is alot for a new beginner but right once you start to understand it and know it, its only the mods that will be holding you back.

If you want immidate gratification i suggest going to your local tuner that knows what he is doing. If you want long term gratification and unlimited amounts of tuning then grab a seat and start learning.
Silentlegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #19
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Well, all’s well that ends well, I guess! It took some time and research, but I got over my apprehension about messing with the tune and figured it out. I was able to do a “read” on my car and send it to my tuner, and he then sent me an initial tune which corrected a lot of issues. Then, the scariest part was trying to figure out how to data log and set up the configuration file correctly. Luckily, there are a few videos on YT that helped guide me along the way. I especially found the videos from “RedRacer” helpful. Anyway, I got my data logs all done and recorded, and sent them off to my tuner for fine tune adjustments. Just waiting on the final tune now. I’m actually quite proud of myself for accomplishing what I did, especially since i am fairly computer illiterate! In the beginning, I thought this was going to be impossible! Thanks for all your help and advice along the way.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote