Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 07-19-2020, 11:12 PM   #43
BMKY

Drives: 18 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Sorry for the late reply. I first cut a small triangle (abt 10 mm from the front) off and then cut a little bit more each time Until it fits. Sorry I don’t have any pic of the cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garion1076 View Post
BMKY, Do you happen to remember how much you cut off? If you have a pic of the cut before mounting the skirts, I'd be most appreciative!! BTW, I think they came out great.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Old 07-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #44
Garion1076
IG: @velveteen_camaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
No worries at all! Thanks for getting back to me - appreciate it!

I ended up doing the same and then used a heat gun to reshape the end so it snugs up to the edge of the rock guard, then plastic-welded close the end using some of the plastic I had cut off. Still a work in progress but I'll post pics when I'm done (since the description above is probably not easy to envision). 😁👍🏼

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKY View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I first cut a small triangle (abt 10 mm from the front) off and then cut a little bit more each time Until it fits. Sorry I don’t have any pic of the cut.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #45
BMKY

Drives: 18 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Good idea! It takes time to make it look perfect. But definitely worth it when its done.

Quote:

I ended up doing the same and then used a heat gun to reshape the end so it snugs up to the edge of the rock guard, then plastic-welded close the end using some of the plastic I had cut off. Still a work in progress but I'll post pics when I'm done (since the description above is probably not easy to envision). 😁👍🏼
Old 01-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #46
oneslick8

Drives: 2016 Mustang, (Camaro SS soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinschief View Post
I have the ZL1 add-ons rock guards and 2nd Gen GM side skirts. They both have done the job so far.
Did you get those side skirts installed when you picked up the car from the dealer? Also any trouble when adding the ZL1 adds on with that GM side skirt? Thanks!
oneslick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:13 PM   #47
Garion1076

Wow, it has been quite a while since I last posted - I actually finished this install back in June 2020. (Thanks to TP2SS for reminding me that I hadn't followed up as promised!)

Well, without further ado, here we go...

The following descriptions correlate to the images attached below..apologies, couldn't figure out how to get them inline with each step.

[1] I had to figure out how much of the ABS plastic to remove. (Wish I had thought to document the actual amount I removed from the front end of the skirt.) As you can see, I first attempted an angled cut in order to mimic BKMY's install, but I couldn't quite get it right, so I abandoned that approach and instead...

[2] I cut off enough to ensure a flush fit against the GM splash/rock guard. I then used the first skirt to mark off and cut the second one (not pictured).

[3] This shows how much I cut off the end. I used a heat gun to warm up the ABS plastic enough to carefully manipulate the cut front end of the skirt to line up flush with the splash/rock guard. Then I used a Benzomatic butane micro torch to "weld" some of the discarded plastic onto the reshaped cut end.

[4 & 5] With the ends filled in as best as possible, I proceeded to sand off any excess plastic and fine tune the new end-cap for the best possible fit against the splash/rock guards.

[6 & 7] With the "fabrication" part done, I moved on to paint prep, sanding all surfaces smooth and then applying Adhesion Promoter from paintscratch.com before applying their Primer.

I honestly don't know why I don't have any pics of the primer stage...could've sworn I took some, but can't find any on my phone (oh well, just imagine the skirts in grey).

[8 & 9] Next up was the base coat (also from paintscratch.com). Note: dark colors like Blue Velvet Metallic require the application of several coats until the color is uniform. In pic #9 you're looking at the insides that lay against the body, which is why the paint is rather spotty and the primer coat is somewhat visible.

[Not pictured - story time]
When I applied the clear coat I messed up, laying it on way too thick. I attempted to correct my mistake, once dry, by wet sanding down the runs of clear coat but I didn't like the result so I opted to sand everything back down to the base coat. I ordered more base and clear coat (waiting another 5 weeks for delivery, ugh), then resprayed the base and clear CAREFULLY (this time covering the insides as well as the outsides completely in Blue Velvet Metallic). Finally, after several passes with successively finer 3M wet sand paper, I applied TurtleWax polishing compound until the surface was super smooth and shiny, then sealed the paint with TurtleWax Super Hard Shell wax, and...

[9] Voila! The finished, painted (but yet unmounted) product held up against my hood and fender in the sunlight showing off a perfect OEM paint match by paintscratch.com products.

[10 & 11] When installing, I opted to use both the 3M tape provided with the installation kit and proper rivets I bought off of Amazon (the rivets provided with the kit didn't inspire confidence). So mine is a permanent installation. These are two close-up shots showing the reshaped end against the painted splash/rock guard - one taken without the flash and one with. The color match is pretty spot on in both unlit and lit conditions.

[12] Finally, here's what the painted and installed sideskirt looks like in the sun along with new ACE Alloy (AFF005) wheels and painted front splitter I also installed. At the time of this pic I had only lowered the front suspension with Phastek Performance springs, but eventually installed the rear springs last year.

I did a bunch of other stuff when installing the skirts (custom painted SEMA lower front grille, flowtie upper front grille, etc.), but that's another post for another day...if I ever get around to it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote:

I ended up doing the same and then used a heat gun to reshape the end so it snugs up to the edge of the rock guard, then plastic-welded close the end using some of the plastic I had cut off. Still a work in progress but I'll post pics when I'm done (since the description above is probably not easy to envision). ������
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #48
super_sxxy322

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS/1LE
Looking for some rec's on side skirts. Does anyone have these particular ones installed? Doing my research on this site I've seen some modifications have been needed for installing but not sure if that is specific to certain ones. The few reviews on this site don't mention other than time consuming, it doesn't look like any modifications are needed.

I have the GM splash guards to install as well. Will the fronts effect how the rocker panels are installed?

TYIA!

https://www.americanmuscle.com/camar...60-v2-abs.html
1/13 - TPW 1/31
2/9 - 3800 - BUILT!
3/2 - 4300
3/14 - 4B00
3/19 - per Chevy chat - finishing up final testing and approvals - dealership ETA 4/16/22
3/29 - 4200 - dealer ETA 4/23
4/5 - 5000 - but can't pick up for another week
4/16 - 6000 - Home Sweet Home
Daily driver... '23 Mazda CX5/Premium Plus (dealer demo)
super_sxxy322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #49
Garion1076

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_sxxy322 View Post
Looking for some rec's on side skirts. Does anyone have these particular ones installed? Doing my research on this site I've seen some modifications have been needed for installing but not sure if that is specific to certain ones. The few reviews on this site don't mention other than time consuming, it doesn't look like any modifications are needed.

I have the GM splash guards to install as well. Will the fronts effect how the rocker panels are installed?

TYIA!

Hi!

My skirts were made by EOS (Extreme Online Store), purchased unpainted from wildhammermotorsports.com but they’re the exact same design as the one you found on americanmuscle.com which (unfortunately) means that they’ll need to be modified to fit with the GM splash guards.

As an alternative approach worth considering, splash guards made by ZL1 Addons (either their standard or deluxe ones) wouldn’t require any modification to these side skirts.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-03-2022, 01:19 PM   #50
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

TYIA!

I have gloss black side skirts from C7 Carbon (similar to those at the link you provided, with a bit less "chunky" outer edges), and they have great quality & fitment at a not so great, but somewhat acceptable price.

Two things you may want to consider, though:

- one, neither aftermarket side skirts nor the OEM ZL1 skirts are compatible with the GM splash guards, there is an overlap in the front that you'll have to be somewhat creative in resolving if you insist on these splash guards (I recommend ZL1 Addons or even better, Rokblokz if you don't mind the mudflap style); and

- two, aftermarket side skirts are all hollow bottom to allow post-assembly installation, unlike the real ZL1 side skirts that are integrated with the rocker panels or the GM ground effects package skirts that both have a flat bottom, which also means rocks from underneath will hit and may damage the rear end cap of the skirts.

At some point there were ebay sellers that offered ZL1 takeoff rocker panels with the integrated side skirts and already painted, you might want to check those out as well if you can't live with these limitations, but even then the GM splash guards will not fit ZL1 at all, I'd probably just choose a different product.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:43 PM   #51
super_sxxy322

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I have gloss black side skirts from C7 Carbon (similar to those at the link you provided, with a bit less "chunky" outer edges), and they have great quality & fitment at a not so great, but somewhat acceptable price.

Two things you may want to consider, though:

- one, neither aftermarket side skirts nor the OEM ZL1 skirts are compatible with the GM splash guards, there is an overlap in the front that you'll have to be somewhat creative in resolving if you insist on these splash guards (I recommend ZL1 Addons or even better, Rokblokz if you don't mind the mudflap style); and

- two, aftermarket side skirts are all hollow bottom to allow post-assembly installation, unlike the real ZL1 side skirts that are integrated with the rocker panels or the GM ground effects package skirts that both have a flat bottom, which also means rocks from underneath will hit and may damage the rear end cap of the skirts.

At some point there were ebay sellers that offered ZL1 takeoff rocker panels with the integrated side skirts and already painted, you might want to check those out as well if you can't live with these limitations, but even then the GM splash guards will not fit ZL1 at all, I'd probably just choose a different product.

I do like those C7 Carbon ones with the slimmer fit. Scoped out your garage pics. I know you said all aftermarket side skirts are hollow bottom, so this question is probably already answered... but are these hollow bottom? Either way - how are yours holding up? I'm just curious why the price difference vs the American Muscle.

Already told my parts guy to return the GM splash guards. Hate to be 'that' customer. Oh well. At least I didn't actually pick them up yet. Read your post about the Rokblokz - the ZL1 addons look to be the same style. Rokblokz being slightly longer, maybe...
1/13 - TPW 1/31
2/9 - 3800 - BUILT!
3/2 - 4300
3/14 - 4B00
3/19 - per Chevy chat - finishing up final testing and approvals - dealership ETA 4/16/22
Old 05-03-2022, 06:43 PM   #52
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I do like those C7 Carbon ones with the slimmer fit. Scoped out your garage pics. I know you said all aftermarket side skirts are hollow bottom, so this question is probably already answered... but are these hollow bottom? Either way - how are yours holding up? I'm just curious why the price difference vs the American Muscle.

Already told my parts guy to return the GM splash guards. Hate to be 'that' customer. Oh well. At least I didn't actually pick them up yet. Read your post about the Rokblokz - the ZL1 addons look to be the same style. Rokblokz being slightly longer, maybe...
My C7 Carbon skirts are holding up very well, they're made from thick fiberglass and still attached as tight as on day 1, even though I only used the included self-tappers and tape, not rivets (of which I'm not a fan). Paint quality is good, too, no blotches or runs or anything, they look close to OEM.

The Rokblokz mudflaps are the same price, but much more sturdy and wider, which matters a lot with our 1LE steamrollers. The rear guard stretches all the way across the rear tire, whereas the ZL1 Addons and RPI and other only extend halfway in, meaning the diffuser gets barraged and ravaged from half the tire.

Never worry about the GM splash guards, they'll sell easily as an unopened package (who knows, the parts dept may even have an online portal like trunkmonkeyparts.com or gmpartsdirect.com. Oh, and by the way, the GM splash guards attach with rivets (as well), so they're more difficult to switch away from. I had them on my previous V6 Camaro, they look nice, but don't protect too well either.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:50 PM   #53
super_sxxy322

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
My C7 Carbon skirts are holding up very well, they're made from thick fiberglass and still attached as tight as on day 1, even though I only used the included self-tappers and tape, not rivets (of which I'm not a fan). Paint quality is good, too, no blotches or runs or anything, they look close to OEM.

The Rokblokz mudflaps are the same price, but much more sturdy and wider, which matters a lot with our 1LE steamrollers. The rear guard stretches all the way across the rear tire, whereas the ZL1 Addons and RPI and other only extend halfway in, meaning the diffuser gets barraged and ravaged from half the tire.

Never worry about the GM splash guards, they'll sell easily as an unopened package (who knows, the parts dept may even have an online portal like trunkmonkeyparts.com or gmpartsdirect.com. Oh, and by the way, the GM splash guards attach with rivets (as well), so they're more difficult to switch away from. I had them on my previous V6 Camaro, they look nice, but don't protect too well either.
Thanks for your input! Sold on the Rokblokz. And that's pretty impressive having the skirts on with just tappers and adhesive. Might have me sold there, too! I also think the kids might be more tempted to step on the AM ones. So there's that!
1/13 - TPW 1/31
2/9 - 3800 - BUILT!
3/2 - 4300
3/14 - 4B00
Old 06-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #54
paradigm

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
I used one can per side and a couple coats of rustoleum flat clear spray
Did you scuff the skirts first with sand paper, or just clean them and then paint?