Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #15
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTwin86 View Post
Hi, have the same question. Looking for a muffler, but don't like loud exhaust. From this three, borla s type, flowmaster and Mishimoto, which one will not scream? Flowmaster sounds good on youtube and the cheapest one. What about nxtstep exhaust is it loud?
You can always add the Borla "mid-pipe" muffler to your car as well.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:50 AM   #16
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
You can always add the Borla "mid-pipe" muffler to your car as well.
The problem is that stock muffler rings and at all there is no bass. I think only new muffler solve this issue.
LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #17
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
The problem is that stock muffler rings and at all there is no bass. I think only new muffler solve this issue.
I think if you are looking to keep the car quiet, just keep the stock muffler suitcase on. Unless you go full cat-back, there is no benefit other than the sound. If you absolutely must have an aftermarket exhaust, i would steer you away from the $800 borla axle back, the $560 flowmaster axle back and the $540 mishi axle back.

Sounds like you just want to have an aftermarket muffler just to have one. If you remove the suitcase, it will get significantly louder, regardless of what new setup you have. To put it in perspective to what sound difference you can expect. I had a muffler delete with a catless dp and it was borderline un driveable and shook my entire house on a cold start. I put the stock suitcase back on and I can barely hear the cold start from my bedroom now. Almost silent when cruising.

My opinion here is if you don't want a louder exhaust, you'll be wasting a lot of your money. It will sound "better," I guess? But it will be primarily louder.

I will likely go with a mid-pipe as STM mentioned because I do like my loud exhaust but not the drone from a straight pipe setup.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
LTwin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
I think if you are looking to keep the car quiet, just keep the stock muffler suitcase on. Unless you go full cat-back, there is no benefit other than the sound. If you absolutely must have an aftermarket exhaust, i would steer you away from the $800 borla axle back, the $560 flowmaster axle back and the $540 mishi axle back.

Sounds like you just want to have an aftermarket muffler just to have one. If you remove the suitcase, it will get significantly louder, regardless of what new setup you have. To put it in perspective to what sound difference you can expect. I had a muffler delete with a catless dp and it was borderline un driveable and shook my entire house on a cold start. I put the stock suitcase back on and I can barely hear the cold start from my bedroom now. Almost silent when cruising.

My opinion here is if you don't want a louder exhaust, you'll be wasting a lot of your money. It will sound "better," I guess? But it will be primarily louder.

I will likely go with a mid-pipe as STM mentioned because I do like my loud exhaust but not the drone from a straight pipe setup.
Now i'm choosing between Flowmaster and NXT Step, because Borla is too expensive for me. Now i have catless DP, and exhaust sounds like a can, don't like it.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #19
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Now i'm choosing between Flowmaster and NXT Step, because Borla is too expensive for me. Now i have catless DP, and exhaust sounds like a can, don't like it.
If your running catless find an axle-back with a muffler or add a resonator somewhere. I've had the flowmaster for years it is loud and if your catless it will be very droney.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #20
LTwin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
If your running catless find an axle-back with a muffler or add a resonator somewhere. I've had the flowmaster for years it is loud and if your catless it will be very droney.
Thanks, will ask my tuning company to add resonator.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #21
Johnny2343

Drives: 16 1SS 6mn npp
Quote:
If it is not a very big deal for you, could you post video with your exhaust. For such a nice price, looks like it is a good one, but how it is compare with borla s type and flowmaster?
Cold ish start and a restart
https://youtu.be/PG4XgFuSEYw
https://youtu.be/uvEQ1rrg4Eg
Johnny2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:43 AM   #22
LTwin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2343 View Post
Sounds really good, thank you, no doubt, will buy this one.

Last edited by LTwin86; 05-13-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #23
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
I have a MRT v2 I took off but sounded pretty good. I have a quad Mishi SS exhaust on now with a flo pro twister resonator. Both attached to a hi flow cat. It's got a good deep idle, but still gets loud when you send it. Drone is still there but very limited.
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #24
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
Quote:
Sounds really good, thank you, no doubt, will by this one.
agreed I like it to
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #25
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
looking for a less raspy interior experience. Has anyone tried a bullet style glass or mesh pack in the mid pipe? I am finding mixed reviews of other cars.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:03 PM   #26
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Without a resonator glass packs will drone to high heaven and back.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #27
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Agreed A muffler would be the way to go. Believe it or not this is the configuration of my past MB C300, muffler up front, resonators in the back. It was super quiet.

I found this and wondering if it stands to reason, Would Borla's mid-muffler installed on the stock system, not produce a the best mute and performance offered anywhere?

I haven't had a look under there yet, but I am assuming there is space in the mid section somewhere.

If it seems feasible, pros and cons welcome,, I would be willing to test it.

My muffler shop guy wants some user community advise to work with.

Thanks.

https://www.borla.com/products/camar...rt__60624.html
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #28
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
That's a 5" dia. resonator tucked under mine.
The other guy that did a mid muffler used a 1 in, out type at the y section I believe. Not sure what brand
Attached Images

StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote