Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
First mods (CAI) on my 2018 V6 RS

Hello all and first post for me.

I've been reading every topic I could find both on these forums and through reviews and such. I'm really confused and could use some guidance as I couldn't get any answers from my local Chevrolet dealership.

First, I'm eyeing two different CAI units. One is the K&N Typhoon CAI that Phasetek offers. If installed properly, will I expect any CELs without a tune? And if it requires a tune to function properly, how would I go about finding a reliable tuner as I've only used the dealership to maintain my vehicles?

The other is the GMPP CAI, which so far isn't listed as an option that I've seen for the 2018 Camaro RS V6 with a flash. Has this changed at all?

Second, I'd like to install the GM Ground Effects Kit for a quad-tipped (NPP) V6 Camaro. As I was originally equipped for dual tips, I'll have to buy an aftermarket exhaust. After scanning various exhaust systems, most seem to have a standard 4" tip. My question is, will a 4" tip fit the diffuser?

Thank anyone in advance for any help offered.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Friends don't let friends use K&N.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I have an 18 RS V6 and was told there is no flash for the GM CAI for our cars
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
SoulCyphyr71

So if not K&N, stick with the GMPP CAI without the flash? Or is there a better alternative?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
You could also consider the Airaid tube with your choice of filter. A lot cheaper than a CAI with about maybe 80 percent of the gain.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
SoulCyphyr71

I don't know what that is, but I'll go do some research. Thank you for the information.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
I haven't seen the AFE Momentum intake mentioned. I don't have it, but it looks like it should work well.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #8
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
The k&n drop in will net you most of the gains any 'cai' will get you because most of their gains come from the filter as the air bridge is essentially the same and they all suck air from the same snorkel.

I have the afe. It's fine. I've had the drop in k&n too. It worked fine.

Cai's may cause lean bank codes... Which may or may not be installation issues, it's really hit or miss with any of them.

Keep it mind, gauze filters become filled faster than paper, which is why you kind of rely on larger surface areas than the stock paper, which the k&n drop in is the same size. So you will have to clean it more often to retain the benefits over paper.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:01 AM   #9
SoulCyphyr71

Good information to know. Thank you Cellsafemode.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 AM   #10
Kairles

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green LS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCyphyr71 View Post
I don't know what that is, but I'll go do some research. Thank you for the information.
It replaces the factory intake tube but retains the factory airbox. I got 10 rwhp with it and a drop-in K&N. Couple people here running same/similar combos without issue. If all goes well I'll be selling mine. Going with GMPP CAI.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
The k&n drop in will net you most of the gains any 'cai' will get you because most of their gains come from the filter as the air bridge is essentially the same and they all suck air from the same snorkel.
If a drop in made the same power as a open element cold air intake every modified car would retain the stock air box. The stock air box is a balance between being efficient, keeping sound down, protecting from hydro lock, and having performance. The amount of readily available air a stock airbox can hold is a restriction. The added distance airflow has to travel and the amount of filter area is a restriction. You are dealing with atmospheric pressure and the vacuum of the engine to get air to the engine. Any restriction is a loss of power. Maybe not a huge difference in some applications but to say a drop in makes as much as a performance open element intake is simply not true.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
cellsafemode

Measure it.

The stock air box is functionally identical to the aftermarket closed ones. The only real difference besides the filter is the air straighteners , which you can cut out if you want, though that could be why aftermarket randomly reads lean due to the maf getting turbulent air flow.

There is really no difference between aftermarket solutions and stock in the intakes for this car. They suck from the same place. They route air over the same exact path. The much larger cone filters and the air straighteners are pretty much it. But if you keep your gauze drop in clean, and cut your the straighteners out, you'll have basically all the same air resistance as any aftermarket enclosed (cai) solution.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #13
cellsafemode

People do stupid stuff that doesn't make a difference all the time.

They do what they have always done in previous cars even if it won't make any difference with a modern one because they have nothing else to do. The stock intake on a Camaro is already a cai. But we buy 300 dollar replacements that make it prettier. Same deal for people who replace those crushed exhaust pipes in the ss. Even though test after test has shown that such exhaust 'restrictions' do not negatively impact performance. We still behave like the factory put economy car exhausts on our vehicles despite the stock car performing at levels the Camaro has never performed at before.

And yes, I have all that stupid stuff done to my car. I consider it primarily aesthetic.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Measure it.

The stock air box is functionally identical to the aftermarket closed ones. The only real difference besides the filter is the air straighteners , which you can cut out if you want, though that could be why aftermarket randomly reads lean due to the maf getting turbulent air flow.

There is really no difference between aftermarket solutions and stock in the intakes for this car. They suck from the same place. They route air over the same exact path. The much larger cone filters and the air straighteners are pretty much it. But if you keep your gauze drop in clean, and cut your the straighteners out, you'll have basically all the same air resistance as any aftermarket enclosed (cai) solution.
Nobody said anything about an aftermarket closed filter... and plenty of aftermarket intakes don't use the factory snorkel system.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote