Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
During data logging I have seen the IAT 2 report the same as IAT1 even though only one is used.

Ted.
Look at my pics, there are three very different temps.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
Look at my pics, there are three very different temps.
I would be willing to bet the IAT2 is some sort of erroneous reading or a default reading since there is no sensor connected to that port in the ECM.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
I would be willing to bet the IAT2 is some sort of erroneous reading or a default reading since there is no sensor connected to that port in the ECM.

Ted.
Thanks ted. This information is certainly helpful.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #18
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
I would suggest that you pull out your SCT unit and do some data logging with it. While the dash gauges are good tools, data loggers give you a chance to really record and see what's going on. Live-Link is what SCT uses to data log and it does a fair job.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #19
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
Dave,

Edelbrock doesn't back, or cover the warranty at all, that's a 3rd party. So I don't think that's why they put it where they do, I'm thinking there has got to be another reason.

I'd also love to understand at what temp the edelbrock stock tune starts pulling timing and effecting HP. Even here in CA with temps in the 50's my IATs (at least i think it's the correct sensor) were around 130 on the dyno.
My new Zl1 starts pulling immediately 5 deg... got it down to nothing by doing some research with Vararam intakes.. same is true on the SS w a blower

go out do a pull with your setup.. then cut the bottom of the Air filter box out where all that's exposed is the Green Filter then angle the filter box just a bit to where the factory channel that's hitting the green filter hits it head on. the MAF air flow hose clamp is where the angle will take place it will not fit in the little notch and the filter corner will just sit on the upper bracket and the pins will not be in the grommet..

now go out and compare a real run not a dyno metter... you will see more boost and at least half the timing and it will come in far later if at all.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #20
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:

Ted.

Ted... If i started to get a code P0099 IAT 2 with my 2016 camaro SS w an eforce blower.. Where is the sensor located?

I read this...

What causes the P0099 code?
The erratic or intermittent IAT input causes the ECM to not trust the input reading and substitutes its input to 70° F.

The intake air temperature sensor 2 is not accurate within 2 degrees when compared to the engine coolant and the mass air temperature sensors when the engine is cold started after the engine has been off for more than 5 hours.

The intake air temperature sensor 2 is not within specification range within 2 degrees of the sensor when compared to the mass air flow sensor when started warm and heat soaked from 10 seconds to 30 minutes.

What are the symptoms of the P0099 code?
The Check Engine Light comes on to alert of a problem with the system.
The engine may run rough, hesitate, or surge while driving depending on ambient temperature difference from 70° F.
How does a mechanic diagnose the P0099 code?
Visually checks the electrical connections and wire harness to the intake air temperature sensor.

Scans and documents engine codes and checks freeze frame data for when the sensor failed.

Scans the IAT2 sensor and compares the output to be within specifications for when it fails in the freeze frame data to try and duplicate the sensor failure. They will lightly tap the sensor to see if the reading is erratic.

Disconnects the IAT2 sensor connector and verifies that the temperature reading goes below -4° F.

Shorts the two connector wires together to see if temperature readings go above 212° F.

While the connectors are shorted, they will do a wiggle test to see if any issues are found with the wiring or connections.

Using a multimeter to check that the ohms of the IAT2 sensor is within specifications while lightly tapping on sensor to see if the reading is erratic indicating a sensor internal failure.

Replaces the sensor if the sensor fails the wiggle test or is not within specifications.

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0099 code
Not verifying failures by clearing the codes and testing to see if the problem returns
Not verifying freeze frame readings and wiggle testing the sensor for the failure
Replacing parts before conducting pinpoint tests and visual checks
How serious is the P0099 code?
The ECM will substitute a 70° F sensor input for the out of specification reading for the sensor.

The engine may run rough or hesitate if outside temperature is more than 10° F different from the 70° F the ECM uses as a substitute output.

The engine can hesitate and have a lack of power during acceleration depending on how different the outside temperature is from the default 70° F.

The engine will fail emission testing due to the Check Engine Light being on and the monitors not completed.

What repairs can fix the P0099 code?
Replacing the IAT2 sensor if it fails testing
Repairing or replacing the wiring or connection to the IAT2 sensor
Repairing the ECM connector or replacing the ECM
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0099 code
The IAT2 code P0099 can be caused from corrosion in the connector that is causing the connection to go in and out but stays in specification when it does work. Sometimes a sensor has loose connections internally that can be duplicated during testing and lightly tapping on the sensor.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
Old 06-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #21
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
I think we have to define what IAT2 mean on a 16 SS, it might be the Ambient air temp sensor out front.

Or that can be IAT1 and the MAF is IAT2.

Unless some different operating system was loaded to your car and is now looking for IAT2 in the blower.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #22
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Okay thanks Ted.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #23
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I agree on the high IAT's you hear of on PD cars. It's not apples to apples compared to NA or Centri setups because the temp reading is not taken from the same place...most don't understand this. You tune the IAT spark correction table accordingly to compensate for this anyway.

On my Whipple setup the IAT spark correction table doesn't pull timing until 154 degrees and even the its only 1 degree. My IAT1 must be located in the supercharger be cause it reads higher then IAT2. It's the opposite of a LT4. On my brothers C7Z IAT1 is reading pre charger, IAT2 reads from post charger.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #24
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
IAT1 and IAT2 are both in the MAF.

On an LT1 - IAT1 is moved from the MAF to post SC to measure air temp.

On an LT4 - there is an additional temp - Manifold Temp - there are actually 2 manifold temps on the LT4, one is measured and one is calculated: only way I can determine the correct one to monitor is to log both with key ON (engine OFF) and disconnect the TMAP. the one that immediately goes to default temp is the correct one.

Hope that helps!
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #25
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Makes sense...Thanks for the response!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote