Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
Ctkizer

Drives: 2016 2LT RS convertible
Need help with jack points on a convertible.

Hello, I tried to find something about this subject on search and couldn't find it. I've read the threads on the subject and watch lethal's youtube video also. But the convertible has extra bracing and the bottom and makes lifting the back part of the car difficult with a floor jack. Is there anyone that can help me out? thanks in advance.
Ctkizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Sorry no one has answered this yet. There are pinch welds in all 4 corners, in the coupes there are two in each corner, but the vert has strut-braces that occupy 4 of the lift areas. If you use the available pinch weld for the jack to raise the car, I'm interested in where people are placing the jackstands to keep the car up and remove the jack. . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
Ctkizer

Same here. I really want to lift up my car to paint my calipers and eventually rotate my tires.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
Call and ask your dealer or PM Becky if she can find out more from her service folks
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
JBinSD

OK, I lifted my 'vert today and took a look around (and a couple pics). The second pinch weld area near each wheel is definitely occupied by structural reinforcements exclusive to the vert. I didn't have any jackstands, so I didn't try to put one under, but there is no flush surface easily available.

I'm kinda surprised no one with a vert has done this before, Bueller?
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
Ctkizer

Yeah the back part is a real problem. Dealer recommends a lift.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
JBinSD

Seems like a ridiculous oversight if there is no simple, easy way to lift and support the car. . . I might try squeezing in the jack stands right next to the jack point, but not sure there's enough room. . .
Old 11-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
JBinSD

Bump, anyone successfully used a jack and stands on the 'vert yet? Want to paint calipers and switch out wheels in the next week, but not sure where to put jackstands if the only pinchweld is needed for the jack itself. . .
Old 11-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
JBinSD

OK, still looking for help here. I bought jackstands, and tried to use the same exposed pinchweld for the stand and the jack, but there's not enough room for the bases (jackstand base is too wide, even with my narrow-ish jack).

The 'vert has the cross-beam reinforcements on the front, I could probably fit my jackstand on this beam, but its hollow tubular steel, is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any guidance/advice,

Joel
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #10
JBinSD

OK, to answer my own question, and hopefully help someone else, you CAN use the second pinchweld for jackstand support. I wasn't sure the cross-struts would hold the weight of the car, but no problema (and no damage). Just make sure you seat the jackstand under the bolts connecting the cross member to the pinchweld. . .
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
The pinchwelds, although "covered", do allow enough room to jack up the vert, and place the jack stands underneath. Mine has been up on jack stands since October with NO issues at all. It was a SUPER PIA trying to figure it out though. VERY frustrating............
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
OK, to answer my own question, and hopefully help someone else, you CAN use the second pinchweld for jackstand support. I wasn't sure the cross-struts would hold the weight of the car, but no problema (and no damage). Just make sure you seat the jackstand under the bolts connecting the cross member to the pinchweld. . .
Anyone else try this method? Getting ready to put the "50" up on four stands to pull the wheels off for a thorough cleaning.
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #13
LinPark

Drives: 2017 2SS Vert Hyper Blue A8
Follow-Up Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
I'm having trouble telling from that picture exactly where you put the jackstand. Which point exactly is that (i.e. front passenger side)? Your previous picture shows the tubular brace about to sit down into the jack but I'm guessing you didn't do that and instead positioned one of the bolts to sit down in the jack. Any better pics or can you clarify?

I'm assuming you do the same in the rear as well?
LinPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #14
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
This is the reason why I purchased Zl1 addon lift pads for the pinch welds.