Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 05-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
Mark_SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Vehicle History 2017 2SS (first post)

Greetings,
I've been reading this forum for about a month and just gave Carmax $150 to have a 2017 2SS shipped up to the Danvers, MA Carmax dealer for test drive and consideration. However today I was going over the "vehicle history" for the car and there's about 11 service entries, where the car was serviced. I mean...seems like this car has been serviced quite a number of times...unless there's a logical explanation. I'd kinda like a 2SS with an A8, but after reading up on the shudder problems, I may seriously consider a car with the 6-speed stick. But if anyone could shed some light on what all these service entries might be I'd be truly grateful.

Thanks in advance...it's great to be here!
Warmest regards,

Mark - Lawrence, MA

https://www.carmax.com/car/17213112

https://www.carmax.com/car/17213112/vehicle-history
Mark_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #2
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_SS View Post
Greetings,
I've been reading this forum for about a month and just gave Carmax $150 to have a 2017 2SS shipped up to the Danvers, MA Carmax dealer for test drive and consideration. However today I was going over the "vehicle history" for the car and there's about 11 service entries, where the car was serviced. I mean...seems like this car has been serviced quite a number of times...unless there's a logical explanation. I'd kinda like a 2SS with an A8, but after reading up on the shudder problems, I may seriously consider a car with the 6-speed stick. But if anyone could shed some light on what all these service entries might be I'd be truly grateful.

Thanks in advance...it's great to be here!
Warmest regards,

Mark - Lawrence, MA

https://www.carmax.com/car/17213112

https://www.carmax.com/car/17213112/vehicle-history
I bought a 2017 1SS A8 new just about two years ago. I had the transmission shudder issue set in at 3,000 miles and had it serviced with flush, new fluid and flash. It has been great since. That was a year ago. I have had zero other issues with the car, and love it. That being said, I do see a number of electrical/battery service entries on the car you are dealing with. I also see a power steering assist recall. I have no background with either of those. Perhaps someone else will have some info on those. BTW, fellow Masshole here. lol

I hope this is a great car for you, and all the issues it had are now resolved. They truly are fun and amazing machines!
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:34 AM   #3
RockySS

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro SS
The power steering assist recall is not a big deal, just bring it to a dealer and they can accomplish this mod - just had mine done about a month ago.
RockySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Welcome to the forum.
We used to live and work in Lawrence, so I'm making the sign of the cross for you.

It's hard to say what some of those are but there a probably a few oil changes in there, a transmission flush and maybe even switching from summer-only tires to all seasons in the cooler weather - even in FL.

As far as the shudder, my Camaro had the new flush done at about 1,300 miles and I'm around 2,200 now with no shudder to report.

You'll love the Camaro, it's an absolute blast to drive. Go for it!
Old 05-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
Mark_SS

Gentlemen....thanks so very much for your replies. Last night before leaving work I called the service writer at Tropical Chevrolet where the car had been serviced.

The guy was only too happy to tell me the info he had relating to the VIN #. His response to my inquiry..."this car has had no catastrophic failures of any kind...looks good to me." So needless to say that's a huge relief! I'll get the power steering recall done and perhaps consider to a trans-flush with the new Mobil1 ATF.

I can't even begin to say how psyched I am to get this car! Will surely report back on how it all works out. Joe, Rocky, Kevin...thanks so much!

PS: Thanks Kevin...being from Lawrence I can use all the help I can get!

Old 05-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
I would pass. Several of those visits were transmission related. Sending you a PM.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
Mark_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I would pass. Several of those visits were transmission related. Sending you a PM.

GearheadSS....thanks a million for that PM. I'm not touching a Camaro with a bad transmission. How the heck can you tell if any of these Gen6 A8 transmissions are any good? I'm getting the impression they're all bad.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_SS View Post
GearheadSS....thanks a million for that PM. I'm not touching a Camaro with a bad transmission. How the heck can you tell if any of these Gen6 A8 transmissions are any good? I'm getting the impression they're all bad.
They're not all bad. Just keep looking and you'll find one. Feel free to pm me if you find another one.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #9
Mark_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
They're not all bad. Just keep looking and you'll find one. Feel free to pm me if you find another one.

That's extremely kind of you...thank you sir!