Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
Devius83

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE Satin Steel Metallic
PPF Clear Vinyl Application

I am having my 1LE front bumper, fenders, doors, and the hood of course in PPF clear vinyl soon. Not cheap but I am told it is worth it by far...Anyone have this done? I will be having the top product applied with a ten year warranty, the hood will be matte to match
I will post pics once complete
Devius83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Ive got my front bumper and rockers done in Xpel Ultimate.....thought it was awesome until I started tracking the car more often. Have a straight up hole that looked like a gunshot through the top of front bumper as well as several small rips/tears from debris. Rear rockers also get eaten alive, I don't see any way around it. Second guessing myself wondering if a respray every two years is a better option lol. Curious if anyone else feels the same?
Old 05-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Rhino liner?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Ive not been impressed with whatever my dealer put on the rear rocker panels whatever the brand is. Better than none but not magic by any means.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Ive not been impressed with whatever my dealer put on the rear rocker panels whatever the brand is. Better than none but not magic by any means.
Chevrolet, just like every other manufacturer I've seen do this, made the panel too small and thus it doesn't actually protect the right area.
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
Devius83

@Flashbang23....curious as to how much it cost you to have it applied? Just comparing to my quote.
I am mostly interested in having the hood protected more so
Old 05-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #7
thrashergrant

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I've got Xpel Ultimate on my front bumper and about 1/2 of the rocker panel(from the middle of the door and back). I find it absolutely necessary to protect these areas even if you don't track the car.

The PPF has saved me quite a few times from serious damage, and I'll take the abrasions in the PPF over the chips in my paint ANY DAY.

Save yourself some $$ and put wrapping the hood in PPF lower on your list. The hood is technically already wrapped. It'd be much cheaper to replace the vinyl hood wrap than it would be to cover the hood in PPF. I've never had an issue with impacts on the hood...yet. I do, however, wish i put a small strip on the front of the roof, just above the windshield.

PPF on the front bumper and rockers, plus the use of ZL1 Add-Ons rock guards will defend from most of the damage.
thrashergrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
You meant PPF, not vinyl, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devius83 View Post
I am having my 1LE front bumper, fenders, doors, and the hood of course in PPF clear vinyl soon.
Is it PPF or Clear Vinyl?

The top shelf PPFs are made of much tougher polyurethane, not polyvinylchloride. I imagine that Clear vinyl would yellow pretty quickly and would not provide near the same protection as a proper PPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashergrant View Post
I've got Xpel Ultimate on my front bumper and about 1/2 of the rocker panel(from the middle of the door and back). I find it absolutely necessary to protect these areas even if you don't track the car.

The PPF has saved me quite a few times from serious damage, and I'll take the abrasions in the PPF over the chips in my paint ANY DAY.

Save yourself some $$ and put wrapping the hood in PPF lower on your list. The hood is technically already wrapped. It'd be much cheaper to replace the vinyl hood wrap than it would be to cover the hood in PPF. I've never had an issue with impacts on the hood...yet. I do, however, wish i put a small strip on the front of the roof, just above the windshield.

PPF on the front bumper and rockers, plus the use of ZL1 Add-Ons rock guards will defend from most of the damage.
+1 this.

On my car is Suntek Ultra PPF. Full front (hood fenders, bumper, lights, splitter), mirrors, windshield surround, rockers up to the body line in the door, and in front of and behind the rear wheels. All wrappable edges are tucked/wrapped. Emblems were removed so there are no extra seams. I don't have rock guards, but they would certainly help w/ the sticky tires our cars have.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #9
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashergrant View Post

This.
One of my biggest chips is right at the leading edge of the roof where it meets the windshield.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #10
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
it’s funny to see the lengths we go to in order to protect the lowest quality of paint to hit the automotive market in the last 40 years.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
zirad54

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, MRC, NPP,
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
it’s funny to see the lengths we go to in order to protect the lowest quality of paint to hit the automotive market in the last 40 years.
Right?! I just drive it and when the time comes, respray. Probably cheaper than the clear crap anyway. I will say, the mudflaps work pretty well.
zirad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #12
Devius83

As a journeyman finisher, I could not agree more about the quality of paint coats from the dealers but I do not believe I would be able to this vehicle reprayed for the same price as PPF protection.
Considering not many quality shops around anymore due to line coating and the new water based garbage.
So hence, I will wrap my 1LE to maintain as it is garage kept and not my daily driver of course haha
Old 05-24-2019, 04:23 AM   #13
fadkar

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
Shitty paint is becoming more and more common. The 2016-2019 Miatas are just as bad as our cars.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #14
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
the only place i’ve seen on mine that is bad right now is the area in front of the rear tires. after 3k miles it was destroyed. i don’t dd mine, but i do enjoy driving it as much as possible. 7k miles now and the rest of it is in great shape sans a pretty bad scuff on top of the splitter. it got clay barred, polished and ceramic coated about a month ago. summer is here so...send it.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote