Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - NY / NJ / PA

AWE Tuning

Old 08-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
if you've never been on a race track or Pitt Race, Novice is the way to go. I've seen guys go out in Intermediate and are so slow they are a danger to themselves and others.
I did the Xtreme Xperience a couple years ago but that's the extent of my track experience, if you want to call three laps that. Would you say novice is a low likelihood of breaking something?
Old 08-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #16
Jastone

Drives: 98 TA, 10 Sierra, 17 XT5, 17 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
I did the Xtreme Xperience a couple years ago but that's the extent of my track experience, if you want to call three laps that. Would you say novice is a low likelihood of breaking something?
I guess the likelihood of breaking something would depend on your driving and the cars mechanical status. In Novice you wouldn't be pushed out of your comfort zone by having much faster car / driver combos on the track with you. But then again you may be held up by slower, less experienced driver / car combos. Always better to start off at the beginning and get a gauge for what the sessions are like.

After my last time on the track I know I'll be going Intermediate next time. My times and comfortability would indicate I'd be ok in the intermediate. I may have been over cautious by entering Novice but better than getting run over or feeling like I was in the way for the first time I was on track at Pitt Race in 15 years (first time on the full track).
Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #17
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
I agree with Jastone. You won't break anything on your Camaro but at a minimum the brakes should be flushed/bled with Motul RBF600.
Yeah, I wouldn't call Xtreme Xperience track experience.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
Quote:
I agree with Jastone. You won't break anything on your Camaro but at a minimum the brakes should be flushed/bled with Motul RBF600.
Yeah, I wouldn't call Xtreme Xperience track experience.
I got Powerstop brake pads on currently because of the dust but I'd be putting the factory Brembo's back on for sure. My dad is my mechanic (has his own auto repair shop) so maybe I can have him do the flush too. I'm assuming afterwards I'll have to change the rear diff fluid too as the manual recommends...

I plan to cover the rear rocker panels with something too so they dont get even more damaged...
Old 08-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #19
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastone View Post
I guess the likelihood of breaking something would depend on your driving and the cars mechanical status. In Novice you wouldn't be pushed out of your comfort zone by having much faster car / driver combos on the track with you. But then again you may be held up by slower, less experienced driver / car combos. Always better to start off at the beginning and get a gauge for what the sessions are like.

After my last time on the track I know I'll be going Intermediate next time. My times and comfortability would indicate I'd be ok in the intermediate. I may have been over cautious by entering Novice but better than getting run over or feeling like I was in the way for the first time I was on track at Pitt Race in 15 years (first time on the full track).

You coming out to the track on Thursday (Aug 10th)? If it doesn't rain I think I'm going to go. I'm just trying to decide if I should sign up for Novice or Intermediate. I'm leaning toward intermediate because I'm worried I'll get stuck behind slow cars the majority of the time in Novice.

During Camaro Fest this year I ran on a track for the first time (NCM). I started out in Novice 1 (A), but it was boring. When I finally got out front, it only took me a couple minutes to start encountering lapped cars. As soon as the session was over an instructor told me I needed to be bumped up to Novice 2(B). I then ran as the second car in the B group the rest of the day. I stayed right with the lead car without any trouble. I would have been very comfortable driving faster, given the opportunity.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous about signing up for intermediate is that I have never driven on the pittrace track before. I'm positive I'll be fine running in intermediate after a few laps.

Any words of wisdom?
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #20
Jastone

Drives: 98 TA, 10 Sierra, 17 XT5, 17 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
You coming out to the track on Thursday (Aug 10th)? If it doesn't rain I think I'm going to go. I'm just trying to decide if I should sign up for Novice or Intermediate. I'm leaning toward intermediate because I'm worried I'll get stuck behind slow cars the majority of the time in Novice.

During Camaro Fest this year I ran on a track for the first time (NCM). I started out in Novice 1 (A), but it was boring. When I finally got out front, it only took me a couple minutes to start encountering lapped cars. As soon as the session was over an instructor told me I needed to be bumped up to Novice 2(B). I then ran as the second car in the B group the rest of the day. I stayed right with the lead car without any trouble. I would have been very comfortable driving faster, given the opportunity.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous about signing up for intermediate is that I have never driven on the pittrace track before. I'm positive I'll be fine running in intermediate after a few laps.

Any words of wisdom?

I won't be able to make the August 10 date (wish I could though).

Knowing what I know now I would've started in the intermediate class from the start. But like I said, I didn't want to get in the way or feel pressured and make a fatal mistake. The course isn't overly technical or too fast either. I'd venture to think that if you have had any significant track time behind the wheel and feel comfortable with how it responds to your inputs you'd be fine in intermediate. But really only you and your performance can answer that. I will say that the first 2 sessions in Novice I was definitely STUCK behind other cars. I made it a point to get out in the starting grid ASAP for the final session and only had 1 car in front of me. Then after passing him it only took 3 laps to catch back up to the back of the field.

In between my sessions I was watching the intermediate and advanced classes. My times were faster than most in the intermediate and comparable to some of the advanced. The open passing in the advanced would make me feel uneasy (dive bombers). But the intermediate still has controlled point by passing zones, and I wouldn't have been in anyone's way.

My advice, you know what you can do. A ZL1 at Pitt Race with an experienced driver isn't gonna see too many (if any) tailights.

Do you have PDR in you ZL1? If so post up the video when you do go to Pitt Race. I'd love to see how it runs there for sure. These 6th Gens are very well balanced cars, and my 1LE is exceptional on track. But I know I left a lit on the track there too. I'd imagine that ZL1 could put down some pretty quick time.

Either way enjoy!! And let us know how it goes.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #21
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastone View Post
I won't be able to make the August 10 date (wish I could though).

Knowing what I know now I would've started in the intermediate class from the start. But like I said, I didn't want to get in the way or feel pressured and make a fatal mistake. The course isn't overly technical or too fast either. I'd venture to think that if you have had any significant track time behind the wheel and feel comfortable with how it responds to your inputs you'd be fine in intermediate. But really only you and your performance can answer that. I will say that the first 2 sessions in Novice I was definitely STUCK behind other cars. I made it a point to get out in the starting grid ASAP for the final session and only had 1 car in front of me. Then after passing him it only took 3 laps to catch back up to the back of the field.

In between my sessions I was watching the intermediate and advanced classes. My times were faster than most in the intermediate and comparable to some of the advanced. The open passing in the advanced would make me feel uneasy (dive bombers). But the intermediate still has controlled point by passing zones, and I wouldn't have been in anyone's way.

My advice, you know what you can do. A ZL1 at Pitt Race with an experienced driver isn't gonna see too many (if any) tailights.

Do you have PDR in you ZL1? If so post up the video when you do go to Pitt Race. I'd love to see how it runs there for sure. These 6th Gens are very well balanced cars, and my 1LE is exceptional on track. But I know I left a lit on the track there too. I'd imagine that ZL1 could put down some pretty quick time.

Either way enjoy!! And let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the advice. What you describe is exactly how I felt during the NCM track day. I'm very comfortable running my car hard, so I think I'll be fine in Intermediate.

Assuming the weather is good, I'll be there on the 10th. I do have a PDR, and I'll be glad to post some videos after.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #22
cdb95z28

I'm watching the weather for Thursday's TNiA @ Pitt Race. I try to sign up for intermediate, but since I always watch the weather and wait till a day or so before, sometimes I have to sign up in advanced, intermediate fills up. Advanced has faster cars and faster drivers, so there is more mirror watching.

Have you checked out any YouTube vids of Pitt Race yet? Here is one from last month I put up:

Best time so far, but not best lap, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #23
cdb95z28

Quote:
I got Powerstop brake pads on currently because of the dust but I'd be putting the factory Brembo's back on for sure. My dad is my mechanic (has his own auto repair shop) so maybe I can have him do the flush too. I'm assuming afterwards I'll have to change the rear diff fluid too as the manual recommends...

I plan to cover the rear rocker panels with something too so they dont get even more damaged...
Brake fluid is one of the most important safety items you can improve on. I run Castrol SRF, it is the world's best.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #24
travislambert

Gotta love weather forecasts. Chance of rain Thursday in Wampum PA... day 20%-60%, night 25%-80%

-----------------
weather.gov
-----------------
Thursday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Thursday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

-----------------
weather.com
-----------------
Thursday
Partial cloudiness early, with scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 81F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Thursday Night
Thunderstorms in the evening, then variable clouds overnight with still a chance of showers. Low 64F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 80%.

-----------------
accuweather.com
-----------------
Thursday
Humid with intervals of clouds and sun; an afternoon shower or thunderstorm around
Precipitation 46%

Thursday Night
Overcast
Precipitation 25%
Old 08-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #25
travislambert

The rain forecast appears to be slowly shifting to later in the evening on Thursday, so I went ahead and secured my spot in the Intermediate group.

Last edited by travislambert; 08-08-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #26
cdb95z28

You beat me to it, lol, intermediate was full by the time I went to register. Im in advanced.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #27
travislambert

Quote:
You beat me to it, lol, intermediate was full by the time I went to register. Im in advanced.
Thanks for the heads-up about the spots filling early. Without that tip, I probably wouldn't have registered in time.

I'm sorry that you didn't get into intermediate too. I watched your video and you seem to know the track. I was hoping to be able to run behind you (or at least try).
Old 08-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #28
cdb95z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Thanks for the heads-up about the spots filling early. Without that tip, I probably wouldn't have registered in time.

I'm sorry that you didn't get into intermediate too. I watched your video and you seem to know the track. I was hoping to be able to run behind you (or at least try).
Lol, You're welcome, I usually show up early, I'm going to ask if anyone has dropped out of intermediate. I him-hawled around and waited too long😜

Yeah, you'd learn a lot following me, on not what to do, lol. I'll keep an eye out for you.