#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #29
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
The current ZL1 is a terrific corner carver but it is lacking on a dragstrip. Chevy might consider the LT5 in a drag package as they already have a foundation for a drag car. It's called a COPO but they need an emissions legal form of that
vehicle. No reason they can't do that and strengthen the drive train to live without nannies. They can place a limited warranty on the car as does the Demon. They could command a premium price for the car and people would anti up for it. It's a win win move.
Ah yes, the low 11 second, 650hp car is lacking. What world do you people live in lol it's amazing that we can buy a car that is as fast as a ZL1, and that can heat, and cool your butt cheeks while accelerating
Old 07-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #30
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Ah yes, the low 11 second, 650hp car is lacking. What world do you people live in lol it's amazing that we can buy a car that is as fast as a ZL1, and that can heat, and cool your butt cheeks while accelerating
In a world of high 9 second production cars actually. Not only do they cool your seats while accelerating, the also use the A/C to cool the blower. Go figure...
I'll be the first to admit those cars aren't corner carvers though, hence the drag race emissions legal version of a Camaro with 755hp.
Oh yeah, they also utilize drag radials to do it with.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:45 PM   #31
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
It would stand to reason that GM would want to sell as many of these cars as they could while the plant’s still running. The A10 is the only notable mechanical upgrade the SS or ZL1 have gotten since the 1LE packages were introduced and that’s already been a couple of years. If they expect to move this car in any volume at all for another 3-4 years they’ll have keep buyers interested somehow.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:21 AM   #32
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
In a world of high 9 second production cars actually. Not only do they cool your seats while accelerating, the also use the A/C to cool the blower. Go figure...
I'll be the first to admit those cars aren't corner carvers though, hence the drag race emissions legal version of a Camaro with 755hp.
Oh yeah, they also utilize drag radials to do it with.
Please list all these Superior high 9 cars & their sticker prices vs what the Z can do with DRs & then swap out tires of choice where we all head to COTA to compare car length gaps at the checkered flag. What car carries the overall value??

Come on amigo, you are coming across as totally dogging the Z as a drag strip failure to what Comp I’m not really sure, while giving it some sort of passive aggressive bitch slap pat on the back that it can actually turn but doesn’t count as the strait Line 9 cars aren’t made to carve roads??

What’s the problem & where are you taking us with this??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:45 AM   #33
396ssrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Please list all these Superior high 9 cars & their sticker prices vs what the Z can do with DRs & then swap out tires of choice where we all head to COTA to compare car length gaps at the checkered flag. What car carries the overall value??

Come on amigo, you are coming across as totally dogging the Z as a drag strip failure to what Comp I’m not really sure, while giving it some sort of passive aggressive bitch slap pat on the back that it can actually turn but doesn’t count as the strait Line 9 cars aren’t made to carve roads??

What’s the problem & where are you taking us with this??
Not dogging the Zl1 at all. I have 2 friends who own Demons. They are stock except both run drag radials. One of the guys travels around the country to various drag strips racing primarily other Demons. He has run very deep into the 9.70's at 140+. The other runs very high nines but lacks the seat time of the other driver. I saw a ZL1 run a 6.15 1/8th mile which translates to a mid 9.65ish pass but the car wasn't stock with tires as was the Demon. Chevy needs a factory offering that can beat the Demon. LT5 just might be the ticket.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:51 AM   #34
Artos

Quote:
Not dogging the Zl1 at all. I have 2 friends who own Demons. They are stock except both run drag radials. One of the guys travels around the country to various drag strips racing primarily other Demons. He has run very deep into the 9.70's at 140+. The other runs very high nines but lacks the seat time of the other driver. I saw a ZL1 run a 6.15 1/8th mile which translates to a mid 9.65ish pass but the car wasn't stock with tires as was the Demon. Chevy needs a factory offering that can beat the Demon. LT5 just might be the ticket.
Fair enough & thank you for the clarification. However, I don't 'think' GM wants what you are suggesting with regards to a mass production Camaro street offering for the 1/4. Understanding it's not exactly an equal, They have the limited COPO.

I haven't kept up as I'm not the drag strip rat, but what will the current LT5 in the ZR1 bring to the table for the comparable application / actual price range you infer with the Demon / Redeye?? I so want to see the LT5 dropped into the current gen Camaro platform, but GM needs to focus on what it knows & understands if the Camaro has a future.

Honestly, I would actually counter your argument & put the challenge back on Dodge...they 'know' how to make a mass produced competitive product that can handle the turns. Why the pressure on Camaro for a 1/4 demon killer now when the rumor mill has them all but dead?? I want / prefer to see an all new chassis by dodge to actually skip the drama.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #35
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Fair enough & thank you for the clarification. However, I don't 'think' GM wants what you are suggesting with regards to a mass production Camaro street offering for the 1/4. Understanding it's not exactly an equal, They have the limited COPO.

I haven't kept up as I'm not the drag strip rat, but what will the current LT5 in the ZR1 bring to the table for the comparable application / actual price range you infer with the Demon / Redeye?? I so want to see the LT5 dropped into the current gen Camaro platform, but GM needs to focus on what it knows & understands if the Camaro has a future.

Honestly, I would actually counter your argument & put the challenge back on Dodge...they 'know' how to make a mass produced competitive product that can handle the turns. Why the pressure on Camaro for a 1/4 demon killer now when the rumor mill has them all but dead?? I want / prefer to see an all new chassis by dodge to actually skip the drama.
Dodge made the Viper and probably done with that

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #36
Artos

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Dodge made the Viper and probably done with that
exactly...we know they can do it & do it well. They need to replace the outdated chassis & make the charger / challenger compete in the twistys with the stang & camaro.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #37
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
So in reality, what would everyone here be willing to pay for a LT5 equipped Camaro? At $75k, the Gen 5 Z/28 "was over priced" and "who would pay that much for a CAMARO?!". Today, people seem to be better about pricing as ZL1's and ZL1 1LE's are in the mid $70's and I don't really hear those same complaints. I priced out a Challenger Hellcat Red Eye Widebody a few weeks a go and easily touched $95k. The new GT500 may start at ~$73k, but can also very quickly be in the $90's (w/o the ADM, which will likely be insane, already hearing $40k-$50K). So again, how many here buy a Camaro in the high $80k to mid $90k range if Chevrolet decided to go tit-for-tat and drop in the LT5 and maybe some other upgrades if there could be any? I love the idea of the car, but I am not someone who is in any position to purchase a new Muscle/Sports Car from any manufacturer in that price range.
Keep in mind as well, to all the comments of "They can't just drop in the LT5 w/o some modifications to the body/vehicle structure", I'm sure this is true, but along with those changes, the vehicle will also require new crash test safety testing and EPA certifications as well. All of these test and certifications cost GM money and will be transfered into the price of the vehicle. It is not a simple "it wont cost them anything to do this" endeavour because they can raid the parts bin.
I would love to create a poll on here as well, somewhere, to see where Camaro enthusiasts performance passions are centered around. Such as for me, I could care less if they made a Camaro to compete with a Demon (which is no longer in production anyway). Drag racing is ok for a day to me, after that, I'm bored with it. I live about an hour from Road America and find spending my time there A LOT more thrilling. For my performance ideals, GM/Chevrolet is spot on with this current generation of Camaro. Everyone is different, so I would be curious what other enthusiasts think about where Camaro performance should focus. How many people just buy the car to cruise around in, canyon carver, Auto-X, Drag Race or Road Course? I guess what that would lead to is, say the LT5 does get planted in a Gen 6, should the car be a street legal version of the COPO to compete with the now old Demon or in a ZL1 1LE to stay on pace with the , the paint isn't even dry yet, GT500?
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #38
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
I would purchase push rod Lt5 Camaro. Now that GM mostly out of the European market (if I understand the new euro emssions rules) and the front engine Corvette is no longer being built why continue to produce LT4's ? LT5 should fit in the engine bay. Hopefully it can be mass produced for all...
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #39
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
So in reality, what would everyone here be willing to pay for a LT5 equipped Camaro?
For a loaded Z/28 convertible with a LT5... $85k in a heartbeat.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #40
siggy_30

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
exactly...we know they can do it & do it well. They need to replace the outdated chassis & make the charger / challenger compete in the twistys with the stang & camaro.
Any prudent business person would completely disagree. Dodge currently has a perfect formula. It’s not trying to be a “sports car” and staying true to the muscle car formula. And guess what?! It’s beating the Camaro in sales while still having that old azz chassis. Your counter will probably be because Dodge has better commercials
siggy_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #41
396ssrat

Quote:

The smaller Dodge is in the pipeline.
Dodge is bold, their Viper has a proven history and so does their Challenger,
Dodge marketed the Challenger to the drag strip buyer and are selling quite a few of them. Chevy has the Vette for setting road course records and the Camaro is a damn close second but Chevy does not have a car to challenge the quicker purpose built 800hp type Challengers or Charger, let alone the Track Hawk Jeep. There is money to be made there. Copo cars aren't street legal, they are an aftermarket hodge podge of parts.

Last edited by 396ssrat; 07-04-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #42
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
For a loaded Z/28 convertible with a LT5... $85k in a heartbeat.
So you also vote to break convention and create a Z/28 convertible huh? Of which only 1 has ever existed from the factory.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote