Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #29
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
I guess I took a different approach. I use one of these which allows me to inspect for contaminates at each oil change. I have them on all my vehicles. I will generally clean the filter about half way though the oil change interval along with while performing the oil change. Gives you a clear look inside the motor for any metallic contaminates or other debris that made it into the oil. Also makes it convenient that I just need to have oil on hand and do not need to worry about getting a filter or what filter goes to what vehicle.

https://www.system1filters.com/oil-filters/
Rnovrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #30
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Canton has similar system, no bypass valve, 100% filtration. I used them on an old build, mostly track car that saw 7 seasons of banging off rev limiter.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:28 AM   #31
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Thanks DM for taking the time to figure that out!
Well I have been running the tall oil filters on all my SBCs since the 90s. They would hand 3-4" under the K member on my 78 Camaro. Short of skidding the car across the ground on its belly, it would be impossible to hit on the ground.

I own a 88 Monte Carlo SS that still has the stock L69 305 in it, and run the big oil filter on it too. It only hangs down about 2", but the car is lowered 6" front and back. You would pretty much have to be on a mission to destroy the filter on purpose
Old 07-24-2020, 04:38 PM   #32
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
Well I have been running the tall oil filters on all my SBCs since the 90s. They would hand 3-4" under the K member on my 78 Camaro. Short of skidding the car across the ground on its belly, it would be impossible to hit on the ground.

I own a 88 Monte Carlo SS that still has the stock L69 305 in it, and run the big oil filter on it too. It only hangs down about 2", but the car is lowered 6" front and back. You would pretty much have to be on a mission to destroy the filter on purpose
I ran the "1 Qt. truck filter" on my SBC in my 71 Nova and 78 Camaro. Never had a problem with it either.

Have you been using the Wix filter? I'm getting ready to change the oil soon.