Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
Native_2SS

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2016 2SS
Looking for A8 Clutch Pack ??

so my mechanic is telling me i need a new clutch pack for my A8. but i cannot find any A8 clutches online?? reason being im pretty sure my car never got the new transmission flush recall, so now its toast.

any help with finding this or is this info wrong? i assume i would need a new torque converter with it as well. 2016 2ss with 62k miles.
Native_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
You don't provide any details about the problem to allow other forum members to help you resolve it. What specific issue did your car have that prompted you to take it to the mechanic?

The A8 shudder problem was a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) and not a recall. There were some cars where the torque converter had to be replaced in addition to the fluid flush but very few people reported damage to the transmission itself. Did your Camaro have a shudder problem prior to taking it to the mechanic?

Which clutch(es) did the mechanic say needed to be replaced? There is a clutch in the torque converter as well as several clutch packs in the transmission.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
Native_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
You don't provide any details about the problem to allow other forum members to help you resolve it. What specific issue did your car have that prompted you to take it to the mechanic?

The A8 shudder problem was a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) and not a recall. There were some cars where the torque converter had to be replaced in addition to the fluid flush but very few people reported damage to the transmission itself. Did your Camaro have a shudder problem prior to taking it to the mechanic?

Which clutch(es) did the mechanic say needed to be replaced? There is a clutch in the torque converter as well as several clutch packs in the transmission.

i basically had a two solenoids get stuck so i couldn't get any power into my gears. sorry im not mechanically informed enough to know much of whats going on in technical terms. car would shift into gears just fine but it basically stayed in neutral.

now, i got those two solenoids replaced and new fluid in and filter in. car still has a hard time shifting. has a nice lull before it shifts into gear. which is where the recommendation for a new clutch pack comes in.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
He is probably referring to the clutch packs for 1st thru 8th gear. But if your mechanic is that far into it he needs to do the right thing and do a complete rebuild or find a used 8 speed auto from a salvage yard or somebody selling one.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
Native_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
He is probably referring to the clutch packs for 1st thru 8th gear. But if your mechanic is that far into it he needs to do the right thing and do a complete rebuild or find a used 8 speed auto from a salvage yard or somebody selling one.
thats what im looking for, but i havent had any luck finding them. idea was to put a new clutch pack in it with a rebuild. because i dont want to spend 6k on a new transmission :(
Old 08-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
If you just put it back together and tested it and shifts were delayed or too harsh when they finally kicked in, you may have neglected to re-learn the changes made to the transmission.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...66092-9133.pdf

It sounds awfully like the situation that this procedure is suggested to be done during normal diagnostics when shifting isn't within 1-2 seconds of being commanded.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_2SS View Post
so my mechanic is telling me i need a new clutch pack for my A8. but i cannot find any A8 clutches online?? reason being im pretty sure my car never got the new transmission flush recall, so now its toast.

any help with finding this or is this info wrong? i assume i would need a new torque converter with it as well. 2016 2ss with 62k miles.
How about this rebuild kit from ATI? Give them a call.

http://www.atiracing.com/products/re...rebuildkit.htm

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote