Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 12-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
Thermostat or Waterpump?

So today I was at the gas station and when I came back out to my car my car was dinging and I saw coolant underneath my car. I looked at the dash and it was overheating.

I'm home now and have it on lift. I couldn't find the leak at all until I let it idle for a while and found that once it hit 260 and the overheating warning came on that there is a weep hole on the bottom tank that would fill up once it overheated. Literally at the same exact time the car got the error and the water started flowing out the weep hole.

Would this be more likely the thermostat and not the waterpump?
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
waterpump
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I'd vote thermostat. When the OP references the weep hole, he's referring to two vent holes in the top of the overflow tank - the bottom section of the tank. There are two holes in the tank an inch or so above the max fill line. If the car overheats and produces steam, it will blow out these holes and immediately condense. If the water pump was bad, coolant would be leaking form the weep hole in the pump, which you can inspect thru the holes in the pulley.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #4
Root

Drives: Silverado, Camaro
So what was the out come? I just lost all my coolant driving normally. Trailered it to a lift at work and left it there to look at tomorrow since it was late. Just wondering what I might find.
Root is offline   Reply With Quote