Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #1
Barnaby

Drives: 2017 1LT Vert
Problem taking roof down/opening trunk.

Ok guys so first time I have run into this, and the user manual isn’t helping me.

I was driving along no problems when my car started beeping at me and the message ‘top not secure’ came up. I pulled over, tried to take the top down (it was all the way up), and it came up with the message ‘extend cargo shade to operate top’, so I opened my door and hit the truck release, and the message ‘secure top to open trunk’ came up. I press the button to put the roof UP, and I get the message ‘only manual operation available’.

So, to recap, I can’t take the top down, I can’t open my trunk to fix the cargo shade, I can’t manually take the top down (unless anyone knows how?) from the UP position... and I can’t get any help from the manual.

Help??

Thanks!
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Well that’s a new one.

Use the physical key slot (the one in the top of the back seat) to pop the trunk.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Well that’s a new one.

Use the physical key slot (the one in the top of the back seat) to pop the trunk.
So I don’t actually have a key itself... just the fob? That’s all I got from the dealer, should I have received a physical key as well?

Thanks again
Old 05-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
Take it to the dealer.
Early on, I was getting the "top not secure" warning almost half the time I put it up. The dealer said was a known issue and they did some s/w reflash (I don't recall the exact details). It hasn't happened again in the 18 months since.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #5
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
So I don’t actually have a key itself... just the fob? That’s all I got from the dealer, should I have received a physical key as well?

Thanks again
The physical key is inside the fob. Push the diamond shaped chrome button on the side to release it. There is a keyhole behind the top of the rear seatback to manually unlatch the trunk lid. You should have a small plastic "wrench" to use that will give you better leverage. This is all in the owners manual. Just be careful the trunk lid does not interfere with the partially open roof.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #6
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
The physical key is inside the fob. Push the diamond shaped chrome button on the side to release it. There is a keyhole behind the top of the rear seatback to manually unlatch the trunk lid. You should have a small plastic "wrench" to use that will give you better leverage. This is all in the owners manual. Just be careful the trunk lid does not interfere with the partially open roof.
Wow, didn’t know there was a key in there lol.

The key turns but the trunk does not open, I have no idea what is going on. Guess I am dropping her at the dealer tomorrow morning.

Thanks guys
Old 05-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Wow, didn’t know there was a key in there lol.

The key turns but the trunk does not open, I have no idea what is going on. Guess I am dropping her at the dealer tomorrow morning.

Thanks guys
You need to change your profile it says you drive a Malibu. Would be nice to know what year Camaro you have.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
You need to change your profile it says you drive a Malibu. Would be nice to know what year Camaro you have.
😂😂 It’s a 2017 1LT convertible.

Good call on the profile too lol
Old 06-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
BigRed7181

Drives: 2016 2SS Glacier White Convertible
There is a small plastic adapter that came with the car to pop the trunk from the inside with the key. This actually happened to me with a new one when I took it out for test drive. Other than that the top can be secured manually. The info is in the manual.
16 2SS SUMMIT WHITE / NPP / MRC / 6MT / CONVERTIBLE / TINT / SPLITTER / SPLASH GUARDS / WHITE KNEE PADS / WINDSCREEN / BLACK BOW TIES / HASH TAGS / DIODE DYNAMICS / GM SMOKED TAILS / MORIMOTO / ALPINE / HERTZ / BLENTMOUNT
BigRed7181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #10
Ssvertlife

Drives: 2017 Silver SS Convertible
I’m having the same exact problem! How did you fix it?

Quote:
Ok guys so first time I have run into this, and the user manual isn’t helping me.

I was driving along no problems when my car started beeping at me and the message ‘top not secure’ came up. I pulled over, tried to take the top down (it was all the way up), and it came up with the message ‘extend cargo shade to operate top’, so I opened my door and hit the truck release, and the message ‘secure top to open trunk’ came up. I press the button to put the roof UP, and I get the message ‘only manual operation available’.

So, to recap, I can’t take the top down, I can’t open my trunk to fix the cargo shade, I can’t manually take the top down (unless anyone knows how?) from the UP position... and I can’t get any help from the manual.

Help??

Thanks!
Ssvertlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #11
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Definitely a known issue...experienced it myself. I also have a 2017 Vert and the TSB is for MY 2016 thru 2018. I recommended printing it and bringing to the dealership.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...39096-9999.pdf

Thread on this issue:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...&highlight=top
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #12
Ssvertlife

Drives: 2017 Silver SS Convertible
Thanks! Yea I think ima have to take it to the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd550 View Post
Definitely a known issue...experienced it myself. I also have a 2017 Vert and the TSB is for MY 2016 thru 2018. I recommended printing it and bringing to the dealership.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...39096-9999.pdf

Thread on this issue:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...&highlight=top
Ssvertlife is offline   Reply With Quote