Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
wolfdog

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
The Tuning School...opinions wanted

Hi all. I know there is a wealth of info online but in terms of an all inclusive source I have been considering what "The Tuning School" is offering.

They have an upcoming Gen V class with hands on instruction but I'd like to see if the cheaper option of obtaining their "learn at home" solution can get me going for less cash.

Does anyone have experience with them?
Any other options out there that are fully instructive?

TIA
wolfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564007

IMHO "The Tuning School" is the closest you can get to an actual learning relationship with a subject matter expert for learning to tune your LT1.

There is a ton of free theory and how-to's that should be enough to get basic engine theory. But take most of it for what it is- "free". You did not say what your level of experience is so forgive the simplistic answer.

Start with the HP tuners suite and learn to LOG and if you can get your own O2 sensor working, then you are on your way as a first hurdle. That would be a good test to judge for yourself if moving into the ECU edits is right for you.

Good luck!

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
wolfdog

Sincere thanks for the reply and reference link.

I have limited experience (messed with shade tree turbocharging imports back in the 90s) so all the torque table, VE stuff etc is outside of my realm of knowledge.

Id like to understand the new parameters and tinker with my car as I learn the concepts to apply...possibly accumulate enough info to turbocharge/tune my LT1 down the line.

My mentality of the "free knowledge" is as you stated and I am more so looking for knowledge from proven application over someone on youtube (no offense as there are certainly good resources out there).

I just think I'd learn more from a book and having a physical reference to keep notes suits my learning style.

I will likely order the Gen V documentation from The Tuning School along with the HPTuners suite and a wide band to get me started.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564007

IMHO "The Tuning School" is the closest you can get to an actual learning relationship with a subject matter expert for learning to tune your LT1.

There is a ton of free theory and how-to's that should be enough to get basic engine theory. But take most of it for what it is- "free". You did not say what your level of experience is so forgive the simplistic answer.

Start with the HP tuners suite and learn to LOG and if you can get your own O2 sensor working, then you are on your way as a first hurdle. That would be a good test to judge for yourself if moving into the ECU edits is right for you.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Sincere thanks for the reply and reference link.

I have limited experience (messed with shade tree turbocharging imports back in the 90s) so all the torque table, VE stuff etc is outside of my realm of knowledge.

Id like to understand the new parameters and tinker with my car as I learn the concepts to apply...possibly accumulate enough info to turbocharge/tune my LT1 down the line.

My mentality of the "free knowledge" is as you stated and I am more so looking for knowledge from proven application over someone on youtube (no offense as there are certainly good resources out there).

I just think I'd learn more from a book and having a physical reference to keep notes suits my learning style.

I will likely order the Gen V documentation from The Tuning School along with the HPTuners suite and a wide band to get me started.

Thanks!
As an additional resource, since you have some experience but not with the Gen V, you may also find some segments in this series from Goat Rope Garage useful: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oEO01pSgOUMOwa.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
wolfdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
As an additional resource, since you have some experience but not with the Gen V, you may also find some segments in this series from Goat Rope Garage useful: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oEO01pSgOUMOwa.
Appreciate it...I have subscribed.