Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
How much transmission fluid is needed

If you're replacing the torque converter and upgrading to the latest recommended fluid? I want to make sure I supply the guy doing the work the appropriate amount.

thanks very much
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile

According to the FSM I have-

Pan drain and filter- 7.0L/7.4 qt.
Overhaul- 10.3L/10.88 qt.
Complete w/cooler- 10.8L/11.41 qt.

This is for an 8AT transmission which is what I assume you have in your 2016.
And the capacities are shown to be the same for either the 8L45 or 8L90 versions.

It does not specify the capacity of the torque converter individually that I can find.
And "overhaul" infers but does not specifically state that it includes the converter.

However if it were my bet I would purchase 12 quarts because in the event that the cooler lines get drained you will need 12 anyway.

When I changed the fluid in mine recently I did the pan drain and filter only.
I let it drain overnight and ended up putting just shy of 8 quarts in it as the manual predicted.

So 12 should do it regardless of what you end up doing and you will probably have at most 1 quart extra.

I hope this helps you.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Yes sir!!! Thank you very much!

Amazon has them at a good price so, will get 2 cases. Under $100 for both
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #4
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Glad to help.
I should mention to be sure to get the blue label fluid, not the older black label stuff.
This is the right oil-
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-124715-...dDbGljaz10cnVl

The price has come down quite a bit just since I bought it a few months ago.

If there is any doubt, ask before buying.
Apparently Mobil changed the spec but sort of called it the same thing.
Sneaky of them.

By the way, changing or checking the fluid yourself (should you ever need to) is no big deal to do as long as you have four jack stands and a level place to work.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
what are you using to change your transmission fluid such that you'd only need about 12 quarts?

I'd assume you're using the pan check hole to drain and fill ...and that only gives you access to 7quarts ...more or less. So once you drain that all using a vacuum pump device ...and push 7 quarts back in, dont you have to run the car and put the trans thru some gears to get the new fluid you just put in moved thru the trans?

After which point, you would drain it again...but now (assuming a good mixing occurred) you have mixed that remaining 30% of old fluid in with your 70% new. So when you dump the next 7 quarts, you would still have about 1 quart of old fluid in after using 14 quarts of new fluid (already more than the 12 quarts you get with two cases).

Is that basically just what is expected and we just live with that as diy'ers vs hooking it up to some special machine that does a full power flush?

I plan on doing a full fluid flush of my trans soon and I want to make sure the way I'm gonna do it is the right way. 10% old fluid isn't too bad if the total investment is 120 bucks or so for fluid and the hundred for the manual pump/vacuum + whatever container i can find to hold the old fluid.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote