#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #15
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
When you say "back window buttons", I presume you're referring to the two window operation buttons? There aren't any "back window buttons" in this car and that confuses a lot of folks.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure how to clearly describe the 'forward' 2 buttons that choose front/rear window operation from the 'back' 2 buttons that actuate the chosen windows up and down.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #16
pay_day33

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Inferno Orange
Wow that’s a lot of great info! Never would have considered the window sequence and getting a good deal. We have already noticed hearing some air come in the driver side back window when the top is up and we’re on the highway. I see the logic behind the engine running when putting the top down to save battery, although based on some replies, I’m not sure if it’s something that “needs” to be done or is more of a recommendation. I’ve got a 30 day waiting period before I can take it in for any warranty issues and so far the back window TSB and hearing the air on the highway are all I’ve got. Appreciate the responses and info though and I’m glad to be back to this site after a 5 year hiatus!
Old 06-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pay_day33 View Post
Wow that’s a lot of great info! Never would have considered the window sequence and getting a good deal. We have already noticed hearing some air come in the driver side back window when the top is up and we’re on the highway. I see the logic behind the engine running when putting the top down to save battery, although based on some replies, I’m not sure if it’s something that “needs” to be done or is more of a recommendation. I’ve got a 30 day waiting period before I can take it in for any warranty issues and so far the back window TSB and hearing the air on the highway are all I’ve got. Appreciate the responses and info though and I’m glad to be back to this site after a 5 year hiatus!
For reference...

I have a 1.5A battery charger and maintainer. It took about 36 hours to raise the battery from 12.2V to 12.7V (car was 9 months on the dealer lot, through winter).

With a fully topped off battery, it takes about 2-3 his to return the battery to fully charged after -either- opening or closing the top with the car off. There's a lot going on to move that top in just one direction....
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #18
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure how to clearly describe the 'forward' 2 buttons that choose front/rear window operation from the 'back' 2 buttons that actuate the chosen windows up and down.
Honestly, without adding a picture with a description and labeling the buttons, I don't know that there's a good way to describe it.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #19
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Honestly, without adding a picture with a description and labeling the buttons, I don't know that there's a good way to describe it.

It is the strangest window switch configuration I've ever seen.
I wonder why they decided that having the 2 front/rear selector buttons was better than just one button for each window like every other car? I'm assuming there must be a reason.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #20
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
It is the strangest window switch configuration I've ever seen.
I wonder why they decided that having the 2 front/rear selector buttons was better than just one button for each window like every other car? I'm assuming there must be a reason.
Job security for an engineer. Lol

The mustangs use a single switch to control both rears in the center console.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Just came across something in the owner's manual that I wanted to add to the discussion about operating the top with the engine off...

Page 9 describes the various buttons on the key fobs. It shows a picture of the convertible top and says: If equipped, press and release (unlock), then immediately press and hold (top) continuously to open the convertible top all the way. The vehicle must be off to operate the convertible top wit the RKE transmitter. (continues...)

There are a number of additional references starting on Page 34 about operating the top with the engine off, so it's possible that GM has revised the manual and removed the references to only operating when the engine is started?

My car/manual are for the 2020 model year...
Old 06-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #22
Indy_62

Drives: 2017 2SS / 2003 S10 Crew Cab
I don't see any reference in the service manual that mandates the engine must be running. If you suspect the battery may be low you can start it before operating the top but a running engine is not required. Consider treating the top with a product such as 303 to preserve the fabric.

Indy_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #23
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_62 View Post
I don't see any reference in the service manual that mandates the engine must be running. If you suspect the battery may be low you can start it before operating the top but a running engine is not required. Consider treating the top with a product such as 303 to preserve the fabric.
Not sure if you're referring to the actual Service Manual... I've read a few comments, including at the beginning of this thread, that say the Owner's Manual indicates you should have the engine running...
Old 06-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #24
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post
One thing to keep in mind is according to the owners manual, put the top up & down with the engine running.
Amendment to my original statement. I went back and read the section about operating the convertible top. I was wrong but not totally wrong.

On page 51 in the owners manual, it says: "Do not operate the convertible top multiple times in a short period of time without starting the engine to avoid draining the vehicle battery."

I'm sorry for my original post being incorrect & causing any confusion.
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #25
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post
Amendment to my original statement. I went back and read the section about operating the convertible top. I was wrong but not totally wrong.

On page 51 in the owners manual, it says: "Do not operate the convertible top multiple times in a short period of time without starting the engine to avoid draining the vehicle battery."

I'm sorry for my original post being incorrect & causing any confusion.
No worries on my side... yours wasn't the first one that I had seen laid out like that.

Similar to you, I see that same warning but mine is on page 35.