Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #29
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
This is a simple mod and undoubtedly has benefits. However it seems to me that the gains are not worth voiding the warranty on your engine.
I asked my dealer before I put on the TM TB - no issue whatsoever, other than the service manager wanted to know how much better it felt.

I have an A10 and the throttle response is much better and more sensitive. It was worth every penny.

My .02
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #30
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
It’s visibly the same on the exterior and doesn’t throw a code so, how would it void your warranty?
Your engine blows for some reason. The engine is disassembled to see what caused it. After market throttle body is found. Sorry you installed a non-GM part integral to the operation of your engine, you are on your own.

That's how.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #31
Badgerbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
I asked my dealer before I put on the TM TB - no issue whatsoever, other than the service manager wanted to know how much better it felt.

I have an A10 and the throttle response is much better and more sensitive. It was worth every penny.

My .02
That's a GM dealership service manager not a GM employee.

We all know that a TB is not going to cause an engine failure. GM knows this as well. In theory Magnuson-Morris warranty law should prevail. But GM will likely deny the claim and you would have to fight through court to prevail. That will cost you way more than paying for a new engine and moving on.
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic
Old 04-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #32
Bill_76

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2018
Quote:
That's a GM dealership service manager not a GM employee.

We all know that a TB is not going to cause an engine failure. GM knows this as well. In theory Magnuson-Morris warranty law should prevail. But GM will likely deny the claim and you would have to fight through court to prevail. That will cost you way more than paying for a new engine and moving on.
No problem, 5 minutes you put back the original and ready to the dealer
Bill_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #33
Badgerbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_76 View Post
No problem, 5 minutes you put back the original and ready to the dealer
That of coarse would be the solution unless its flat-bedded headed to a dealer.....

Could take it to your house, then the dealer yada yada yada
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic
Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #34
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Your engine blows for some reason. The engine is disassembled to see what caused it. After market throttle body is found. Sorry you installed a non-GM part integral to the operation of your engine, you are on your own.

That's how.
But, it’s not an aftermarket throttle body. It’s a modified OEM part. I just don’t find your scenario plausible.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #35
Vulcan1

Drives: 2018 Hyper Metallic Blue ZL-1 M6
WOW, all this talk about voiding the warranty and dealerships. 90% of the mechanics don’t know anything about the aftermarket world. You really think a tech or service manger for that matter would catch a TM TB. My Brother has been an ASE certified technician at GM dealerships for years. Certified in powertrane and electrical, every time I begin a mod. Project he’s amazed that this stuff even exists. I have two best friends who are service managers for two different dealers and neither have ever turned a wrench.
Sure some modifications have been discovered and caused the warranty to not cover the repair but I can tell you from first hand experience that is from pieced together, jacked up, electrical tape, hack jobs that bring this to a head.
I did a centrifugal supercharger on an LT-1, all weather pack connections, factory type wire sleeves. Every aspect looked OEM, for what ever reason transmission started poping out of 4 gear. Dealer verified issue and replaced transmission under powertrain warranty.
My dealer here had never seen a ZL-1 and had to “research it” to schedule an oil change. One forum member on here was asked why he added the raised wing to his 1LE.
Just my 2 cents and opinion, take it for what it is.
Vulcan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #36
Badgerbimmer

All I am saying is the chances of engine kaboom are remote, although it happens, GM dealership would be unlikely to see TB, actual GM tech who disassembles engine to see what happened will find it. GM will void warranty. To me, for minimal gains, the risk is not worth it. When warranty is done absolutely, why not.
2012 Audi S4
1990 BMW 325Ic
Old 04-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #37
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Katech throttle body here! Gains are most certainly worth it
Old 04-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #38
cfabrizio

Drives: 2018 Silver ZL1
So are there different sizes that I should consider or just go with the sock size that is ported. I am not looking to do any major mods; CAI, headers, and TB.

Thanks again for the help and info...Chase
cfabrizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #39
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfabrizio View Post
So are there different sizes that I should consider or just go with the sock size that is ported. I am not looking to do any major mods; CAI, headers, and TB.

Believe all the ported ones talked about are based on stock 87mm. Anything not stock swould require a tune. A TM throttle body would be one of my first mods. Can’t see any downsides to it.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:15 AM   #40
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfabrizio View Post

If you're not doing anything to the motor, headers aren't worth the expense. The exhaust manifolds are good enough on their own for what you're talking about doing.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526137

While not discounting the visual and acoustic benefits of a CAI, the same philosophy of not 'needing' them unless you're opening up the engine holds true for a CAI, you'll get more bang for you buck with a ported TB.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526615

If you're looking for a better exhaust note, there are a lot of options.

FWIW, I went with a TM TB, Green Filter, and Borla 60606 X-Pipe. I got what I wanted from those - quicker/touchier throttle response, a little more power (?), and a deeper/throatier exhaust note all for right around a grand.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #41
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
What's the cost of a ported blower vs a Magnuson / Whipple? Would the only benefit be that it appears stock when you lift the hood?

899 to 1000.00 for blower porting and new 103mm is probably equivalent to a Tony mamo ported..

Just like the 5th gen people gonna spend loads of money on the 6 gen Zl1's blower only to figure out that over the 800 level is not practical..

I think 675 whp is fairly inexpensive and considered not a waste of money where most of the parts will and can be used over..

ATI balancer ( used on all blower even if you swap units ) 350 to 550
ATI Blower ring only 140 buck ( not sure if you can use 9.17 it maybe to much for a whipple or maggi ) with limited fuel systems for our cars.
Headers (you need them whether you swap blowers or not) 600 to 2300
Intake reuse even if you swap blower just change elbows 495 to 750

The problem is Blower Porting thats a good $1000 bucks you won't see back if you go a different direction

Head Porting it help with the new unit of course but just turn up the new blower another $800 to $1000 to save

Weapon X Heat Exchangers since your not over spinning the 1.7L can probably do with out them be nice to have and can definitely reuse.. but the stock ones probably will be more than fine on a large more efficient blower. $1300

Meth kit, install, and tune.. 1400 to 1600.00 The bigger blower on 93 probably will not need to make what the 1.7l zl1 blower did using it.

That's about 3 to $4000 in money to put towards a bigger blower then sale yours to a SS owner for 2k to 2500.. I think the whipple is 5k to 6k you already have the lower balancer maybe save more of a kit..

just food for thought..

Good thing is if your handy with a wrench you can add 100 to 120 hp for $2100 and that includes the tune.. And everything but the blower ring and 100 to 200 for a retune is transferable over to the new blower.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #42
Buzzmanb12

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
899 to 1000.00 for blower porting and new 103mm is probably equivalent to a Tony mamo ported..

Just like the 5th gen people gonna spend loads of money on the 6 gen Zl1's blower only to figure out that over the 800 level is not practical..

I think 675 whp is fairly inexpensive and considered not a waste of money where most of the parts will and can be used over..

ATI balancer ( used on all blower even if you swap units ) 350 to 550
ATI Blower ring only 140 buck ( not sure if you can use 9.17 it maybe to much for a whipple or maggi ) with limited fuel systems for our cars.
Headers (you need them whether you swap blowers or not) 600 to 2300
Intake reuse even if you swap blower just change elbows 495 to 750

The problem is Blower Porting thats a good $1000 bucks you won't see back if you go a different direction

Head Porting it help with the new unit of course but just turn up the new blower another $800 to $1000 to save

Weapon X Heat Exchangers since your not over spinning the 1.7L can probably do with out them be nice to have and can definitely reuse.. but the stock ones probably will be more than fine on a large more efficient blower. $1300

Meth kit, install, and tune.. 1400 to 1600.00 The bigger blower on 93 probably will not need to make what the 1.7l zl1 blower did using it.

That's about 3 to $4000 in money to put towards a bigger blower then sale yours to a SS owner for 2k to 2500.. I think the whipple is 5k to 6k you already have the lower balancer maybe save more of a kit..

just food for thought..

Good thing is if your handy with a wrench you can add 100 to 120 hp for $2100 and that includes the tune.. And everything but the blower ring and 100 to 200 for a retune is transferable over to the new blower.

Break this $2100.00 down for me please...

Buzzmanb12 is offline   Reply With Quote