Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-18-2018, 01:39 AM   #15
SR 33

Drives: 2016 1LT - SIM
I too am disappointed in lack of support, but I think stuff keeps slowly coming out. Like changerofways said, there’s a lot of info in the v6 section, particularly in powertrain upgrades. Overkill is the only supercharger I know of.

One thing you may find restrictive is braking upgrades. Fronts are relatively easy to do cause they’re interchangeable with the other models, but I think there are no options for the rear since they aren’t interchangeable due to parking brake setup

And as far as everyone saying to get an SS, you wouldn’t be disappointed at all in a v6 one. I have a 600cc sportbike and all my riding buddies bug me about when I’m gonna step up with the big boys to a 1000, and all I think in my head is “I’ll still whoop your ass down a curvy road”
SR 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:49 AM   #16
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
mine is a 2015 2LT/RS.quite happy with the 6,and if you drive a lot the fuel savings are good too.T4s and V8s require premium fuel.i use 89 in the 6 but chevy claims 87 is ok.if you get the NPP exhaust it should sound pretty mean.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:01 AM   #17
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
They all say get the big V8 when it's your money. However, if they had to chip in with their money, you'd be driving a Chevy Spark or worse.

You're only losing about a second in performance with the V6. Unless you race at the track, it won't be a big deal. The V6 has the benefits of getting better MPG and having a lighter more balanced chassis for handling.

And, it's usually cheaper than the V8 which will save you some coin unless you load it up with options.

The V6 can certainly hold it's own on the street. You won't be the fastest car out there, but neither is the V8 SS.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 AM   #18
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
Hey Guys,
First post here, so I’m ready for some heat if I missed anything in the forums. I’ve moved on from the mustang forums as I recently drove a camaro and totally changed perspectives. The mustang forums were kind of a joke anyways, so let’s get onto the title.

I am quite into autocross, if you didn’t already notice my username, and I recently was in a V6 Camaro. To me, the nose felt WAY lighter than the front of a base Camaro SS. Of course the V6 was on rental car tires, so I couldn’t really test the nimbleness. It also was quick!!! I have no idea how anyone could complain about that amount of power. In short, i was very very stoked.

So here’s the questions i’ve got for you guys...
I looked and looked and looked, but couldn’t find a supercharger for the new 3.6 V6. I feel as if a supercharged V6 would be the best of both worlds. Big power and small weight.

Is getting a loaded V6 with potentially the 1LE package a better way to steer than a totally stripped V8 model?

Where’s the best place for all the aftermarket parts? I found a huge aftermarket for the mustangs, but it has been harder for me to find aftermarket camaro parts - especially for the V6

Hopefully I posted this in the right spot. Looking forward to some replies!
I'ma former 6th Gen 1LT 3.6 V6 owner. Moved up to a 2SS and its a night and day difference, literally two different cars sharing on the name and body and thats where it ends.

There are several reasons the V6 lacks aftermarket support.
  • Out the box the 3.6 V6 doesn't leave alot of room for improvement outside of Forced Induction
  • Heads are maxed, no cams that I'm aware of, Ported Intake gains are possible but not very strong, Same goes for changing the intake and exhaust so basically its nickles small ponies here and there
  • If you go F.I. you can easily end up paying as much or more as it would to purchase a SS of similar model (1LT to 1SS or 2LT to 2SS) where the SS will always be more reliable and you will be the pioneer so to speak of a F.I. 3.6.
  • MOST people are not really buying the 3.6 to mod or perform with, with the exception of 1LE's, they're generally intended for quick and fun commuter cars and they serve that purpose very well.

Quote:
Thank you for the very well written response. I will certainly head over to the V6 and I4 forums and take a look. Do you know why the support for the V6 is so minimal? I am really scratching my head between the I4 and the V6. The I4 has more aftermarket support but the V6 sounds incredible. I wonder if the handling differences would be noticeable as weight is so similar?
From what I'm reading here, I wouldn't buy either. You may mod the I4 but you will never like the sound, and you want more from the V6 aftermarket which just isnt there..and I would in no way try to push that when there is plenty of aftermarket for an SS. Just save the money you intended on mods and get an SS. You won't be disappointed..trust me. While the I4 has respectable potential, I would never buy any brand new car to mod when there is an upgrade model that makes just as much power stock and more reliably.

Quote:
My autocross course I compete on is very tight and technical. Anything over 350 torque would easily rip the back loose and ruin your time. Sticking large tires on the car isn’t an option because that essentially is like running around in heavy boots. It kills the nimbleness of the vehicle, and that chassy is very capable of being nimble. On a racetrack it would be the complete opposite, but I am not fortunate enough to have a racetrack within my reach.
Despite what the numbers say in terms of weight.. I've driven both. Both the I4 and V6 handle about the same. Its unlikely the Turbo I4 is going to make a great track car unless something can be done to reduce the turbo lag, generally in auto-crossing people prefer to stay NA.. 1LE V6 is still the best option IMO. Its weight isnt significantly higher, and its powerband is fairly predictable.

Now if you're going to mod the I4 then things can change a bit. Potential wise the I4 simply has more potential than the V6 mainly because its designed for boost... unless you supercharge the V6. But I personally would be happier with a 1LE V6 than a Turbo 1LE I4 and the reason is, I would have no desire to mod either platform. If I mod anything...it's going to be a V8.

Quote:
I agree with you about the V6 sound. The weight between the V6 and I4 are similar, no? How much better do you think the 4 would handle than the 6?
Despite what everyone is saying, there is no serious weight savings between the I4 and V6.

2017 Camaro 1LS (I4 Turbo)
Base Curb Weight: 3,354 lbs
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...cpe-1ls-389570

2017 Camaro 1LT (V6)
Base Curb Weight: 3,435 lbs
https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/make...cations/lt-v6/

Stock for Stock the additional 60 horses offered by the V6 easily offsets the weight and the 1LE package will not make up for that even on the I4 as you will likely never get a opportunity to push the limits of either car around turns.

Quote:
Im okay trading off torque for handling. Shoot, I almost bought a BRZ. Thankful I didn’t because that’s been quite a ride for my buddy with car problems, but I see it more as a ‘tall person miata’ than a muscle car. I am just trying to find the most miata - like experience. That has led me to debate the V6 and the I4...

I’ve lived my whole life in the tuner crowd, so having small ones and big turbos is kind of the norm around here. It’s more of the whole weight reduction concept. V8’s are really heavy around a very tight autocross course, and daily driving I don’t think i’ll be using all that power very often.
In short, the V6 will be more than enough. I wasnt even able to find the limits of it in the base model 1LT. If you REALLY want to mod though, I4 has the most potential. I just never purchased my 1LT to mod, I bought it stock and sold it stock. Its a great car out the box but I wouldnt buy either of them to mod. The SS will be a different story, but thats down the road.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #19
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
There is some good information and bad information in this thread much respect to those that gave real options and valid expertise.

There is actually quite a bit of support for the v6 LGX you just do not have the 10 different options for each part. And there are people working on additional parts as well.

First and foremost the LGX engine is really good and has the capability in stock block form to handle some power. I am currently putting down about 550 to the crank 460 to the wheels and the engine is showing no signs of stress. We are stopping there until the forged rods and pistons come in. I have 50k miles on the car as well.

I will shortly address the pricing since its a topic but not one I will dwell or argue on as everyone's opinion is different. Purchased in march of 16 for 32k 2lt RS Best price I could get on a SS at the time with same trim options was around 45k maybe 42k if I really really hunted.. Today is a different story that gap has closed quite a bit.. But for me I have more power and still haven't reached that SS price that I would have paid then. That is all I will say on that because I didnt buy my V6 originally with modding in mind it became a passion and Hobby later on.

One of the things plaguing Me at the moment is drivetrain power loss its HUGE on the V6 vs the V8 so as you increase in power There is a significant loss. It actually kind of odd because the smaller transmission should require less line pressure and fluid flow. But hear nor there its one downside to the v6 especially if your looking to go huge power the 8l45 just hasnt been tested to its limits and we all know the torque converter is garbage.

So now lets talk about options..
N/A - You can do Intake, Throttlebody, Intake Manifold, Downpipes, Exhaust, E85 and Tune of course. This will get you over the 300whp mark easily. Not sure anyone has done the full list yet but my guess would be in the 315-330 range with a good tune and all these mods. These Cars LOVE E85.

A Good TCM tune will really wake up the car as well with throttle response and shifting. Jac-Fab on the 4cylinder forums has a amazing write up on tuning the TCM..

Forced Induction
Turbo's are a great option for these car however it would be a full custom job since there are not kits available.. However the monoblock engine ( Exhaust manifold built in ) Creates for the ability to mount the turbo's right to the block.

There is a single Turbo LGX build done by RPM Turbo in south florida on @jceasar_the_monster on Instagrams car

The Single best upgrade for your car would be hands down the Overkill Supercharger Kit http://www.v6superchargers.com Its a proven kit of reliability and quality and there are about 5 or 6 of us out there with it now. I have put 26k miles on my supercharger kit so far.

My Current performance mod list includes
Overkill Stage 2 supercharger kit - upgraded injectors with zl1 in tank fuel pump
12lb pulley
Single stage - dual nozzle - Alky 100% methanol injection
E85
3" Custom fabbed downpipes - 3" in and out Carven TR's mounted Directly below drive and passenger seat areas - 3" pipe into MBRP race series cat back exhaust ( Modified )

Mods coming soon - Forged Rod and Pistons, LSD rear with the Manual Gearing, More Boost, And a possible small shot of NOS... Once again there is going to be a point I reach the limits of the 8l45...

I also have alot of suspension upgrades but will not go into that here.

The options are out there .. And you can gain 50-60 HP N/A Pretty easily so do not be discouraged with the market its there and the parts that are available are good.

Oh yeah we also know that 5th gen downpipe flanges are the same as the 6th gen so the 5th gen downpipes will work with a little pipe bending to clear the steering rack.

I have had alot of fun with the V6 finding a good shop will probably be the hardest part unless you are in florida.

Also for tracking Polynesian Powerhouse is the V6 go to guy..

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #20
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Trifecta's tune does both the ecu and tcm, btw.

I've done TB porting, lowering springs, intake, axle back exhaust, trifecta tuning, and even wrapping the exhaust.

Waiting to see what manifold porting / filling options do as that's not really available yet. And i have no interest in doing E85. Premium gas is fine.

Other than the jump to a supercharger - which has lots of additional costs since i'm not in a state like florida that lets you do whatever you want without inspections, I'm not sure what my next step would be that would make a difference. Cat removal is not an option, not just for legal reasons, but catless stinks almost as bad as the rotten egg smelling cats do.

I was thinking maybe weight savings... at the expense of the crash safetey features in the car. But I already have an issue with every body panel rattling from road noise and music now, that will only be magnified by weight reduction in the frame/body. Could go with light weight seats, but that's not really V6 specific.

There's just not much that makes the car better since it comes so good from the factory. At least in comparison to the 80's and 90's and the type of person who buys a mid-tier engine doesn't tend to take their motors apart to modify it. So i totally dont expect lots of activity around cams and such.

Wheels and rotors are another area for weight savings i'm sure...but I dont want to throw smaller ones on there so that's probably not an area where i'll be able to do much savings in.

Aluminum driveshaft might be something worth considering. Save you 5-7 lbs of rotating weight. Pretty sure nobody makes one for the v6 ..unless the SS is a swap-in (unlikely).

The other suspension parts are pretty lightweight and super stiff already, being composite in places and what not. so not sure how much you'll save around there with the usual suspects.

body panels are basically aluminum or plastic already in the places you would try to easily save weight.

It's not a car that has a lot of low hanging fruit for someone to mod on a budget. for sure.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
One of the things plaguing Me at the moment is drivetrain power loss its HUGE on the V6 vs the V8 so as you increase in power There is a significant loss. It actually kind of odd because the smaller transmission should require less line pressure and fluid flow. But hear nor there its one downside to the v6 especially if your looking to go huge power the 8l45 just hasnt been tested to its limits and we all know the torque converter is garbage.
I honestly think it's just a dyno issue since the track times are on par for the weight and the power advertised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Trifecta's tune does both the ecu and tcm, btw.
Only on the 16's though, the 17/18's have a locked TCM that has to be unlocked.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #22
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Could you explain why? The V8 sounds really awesome, but are there any other reasons? Larger aftermarket support? Better reliability? I can’t justify a car just by a super sweet sounding engine with too much power
I would say just for 160+ Ft LBS more low end torque alone is a game changer.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #23
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
I honestly think it's just a dyno issue since the track times are on par for the weight and the power advertised.
I believe this as well. The car performs right where you'd expect a car with this weight and this crank power to perform on the track and strip. The idea that there is something siphoning power after the crank doesn't make much sense since the manual isn't showing significantly different rwhp numbers and there's not much in common between the two that could yield a significant loss in power. So i'm inclined to believe that the dyno test is not ideal to handle the way the car puts down power in real life.

Quote:
Only on the 16's though, the 17/18's have a locked TCM that has to be unlocked.
True, but i think you can still do the tcm programming if you go with the extra cost of getting the tcm unlocked by them. Been a long time since i visited their site though.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #24
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I would say just for 160+ Ft LBS more low end torque alone is a game changer.
From what I paid new for my RS to the cheapest new SS was a $12k difference. It's not like its pick one or the other, the SS wasn't even an option.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #25
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
True, but i think you can still do the tcm programming if you go with the extra cost of getting the tcm unlocked by them. Been a long time since i visited their site though.
I hope so because the shifts even in sport mode are soft, would love to speed it up and make it more firm for the track.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #26
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
I had a V6 for many years, loved the car. It was a '14 RS. I recently upgraded to a '17 2SS and I'll admit, the V8 is a totally different experience. If you have a v6, you have no idea what your missing. Not hating on the v6, but in my opinion it was an upgrade I should have done a long time ago.
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #27
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by custommx3 View Post
I had a V6 for many years, loved the car. It was a '14 RS. I recently upgraded to a '17 2SS and I'll admit, the V8 is a totally different experience. If you have a v6, you have no idea what your missing. Not hating on the v6, but in my opinion it was an upgrade I should have done a long time ago.
Had V8's from 3rd and 4th gen. Went with the V6 and not missing any of the performance since they're roughly on par.

There's always a more powerful engine. And some people are never satisfied and always want more. You can get into _plenty_ of trouble with the V6 camaro and the better weight distribution makes it corner very well even without the 1le package. Not that you have many opportunities to race around tight curves on most US roads.

In the end though, money is the deciding factor that limits most buyers from a given car. So no amount of enticement and missed potential is going to matter because the V8 just wasn't an option. It's also the reason why I dont have a Veyron.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #28
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
It's funny, One of my biggest complaints about the Camaro is it comes in a 4 or 6. I know it helps GM sell more cars which is positive for everyone, but still. It's American Muscle not American petite. There is a reason you can only get a Corvette with a V8.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote