Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
AFE axle back , drone or no drone

I searching for an exhaust that’s npp capable, looking at Borla s type, or AFE.
I know borla won’t drone but don’t know if the afe system does , can anyone tell me about it ? The design looks good and it’s quite a bit cheaper than borla.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
One thing Ive learned over the years when it comes to exhaust, you get what you pay for. I had a Borla cat back on my 5th Gen SS years ago. Great exhaust, looked good and sounded good. I had a cheaper Flowmaster axleback on my GT500 and it was lousy when it came to fit and finish. Personally, come Spring Im going with a AWE Track catback on my ZL1. The NPP option isnt that important to me and drone never has been a issue with me either, I dont even no what drone is and Ive had alot of crazy exhaust systems over the years so, odds are they had some drone, just never bothered me. Anyway, Id buy the Borla.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I went with Borla. Some guy around here really likes his AFE sponsored stuff.

I can confirm no drone period with the ATAK with the midpipes. I would skip the midpipes.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #4
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Before I bought my AWE touring set up, I took a hard look at AFE, and had I decided to keep NPP, that's the way I would've gone. Ultimately I felt the NPP on an aftermarket set up didn't make enough difference between modes to warrant the price. (Many reviewers across ALL the systems seem to feel this way). Still the AFE didn't have any reported drone, and at least from youtube, it seemed to sound the best. Borla is hands down one of the best in the game, but I've just never like the sound.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
900RFWN

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
One thing Ive learned over the years when it comes to exhaust, you get what you pay for. I had a Borla cat back on my 5th Gen SS years ago. Great exhaust, looked good and sounded good. I had a cheaper Flowmaster axleback on my GT500 and it was lousy when it came to fit and finish. Personally, come Spring Im going with a AWE Track catback on my ZL1. The NPP option isnt that important to me and drone never has been a issue with me either, I dont even no what drone is and Ive had alot of crazy exhaust systems over the years so, odds are they had some drone, just never bothered me. Anyway, Id buy the Borla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Before I bought my AWE touring set up, I took a hard look at AFE, and had I decided to keep NPP, that's the way I would've gone. Ultimately I felt the NPP on an aftermarket set up didn't make enough difference between modes to warrant the price. (Many reviewers across ALL the systems seem to feel this way). Still the AFE didn't have any reported drone, and at least from youtube, it seemed to sound the best. Borla is hands down one of the best in the game, but I've just never like the sound.
When looking into an exhaust at first I thought it had to be NPP just because I felt that I would be hacking/ghetto rigging the car otherwise. With some folks having trouble with the valves rattling, sticking or not closing completely I’m not sure I want to bother with it. Pretty sure listening to the Hooker Blackheart system put me off on these aftermarket NPPs. Take a listen to this at :45. WTF is going on there? Sounds like the valves are opening and closing constantly. Straight ass. All Blackheart videos sound the same so it’s not a one time fluke. Anywho, leaning toward AWE myself.

https://youtu.be/0y1a6lRG2u8
900RFWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900RFWN View Post
When looking into an exhaust at first I thought it had to be NPP just because I felt that I would be hacking/ghetto rigging the car otherwise. With some folks having trouble with the valves rattling, sticking or not closing completely I’m not sure I want to bother with it. Pretty sure listening to the Hooker Blackheart system put me off on these aftermarket NPPs. Take a listen to this at :45. WTF is going on there? Sounds like the valves are opening and closing constantly. Straight ass. All Blackheart videos sound the same so it’s not a one time fluke. Anywho, leaning toward AWE myself.

https://youtu.be/0y1a6lRG2u8

I felt the same way in regards to the NPP function in the beginning. I thought I just spent upwards near 70gs on a car and Im disconnecting stuff that the car came with factory. I then researched how they function and thought, those flaps are going to be a issue in the making. So, I m not going to sweat unhooking them and hiding them up in the rear quarters. I was a little leary over the OEM set up let alone some aftermarket company that will be using there own flap set up.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
When looking into an exhaust at first I thought it had to be NPP just because I felt that I would be hacking/ghetto rigging the car otherwise.

It's a mod like any other. No more of a hack than anything else. The first car was built on a Monday. By tuesday, it had an aftermarket exhaust!
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have the afe axleback and with the stock exhaust manifolds it was fine but with headers it drones really bad on freeway so bad i have to keep it in 5th not 6th gear
Old 03-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
jaybee924

Drives: R.I.P. 2021 ZL1 & 2019 Rd Garn 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have the afe axleback and with the stock exhaust manifolds it was fine but with headers it drones really bad on freeway so bad i have to keep it in 5th not 6th gear
With the headers is that with the valves closed?
When you were on stock manifolds could you tell the difference with the valves open and closed as far as how loud the sound was or did it sound right about the same with them open and closed?
jaybee924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
valves closed on the highway and i didnt get to drive much with just the headers and stock npp exhaust