Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-08-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Going to install an aftermarket exhaust with NPP

Hi guys, i'm going to switch out my OEM NPP for some Flowmaster American Thunder axleback equipped w/ NPP. I am planning to do the install myself but my question here is: is it as simple as unplugging the OEM NPP plugs out of the car and plugging in the Flowmaster NPP plugs in? Or is there more to is than just that? Also, anyone know how the Flowmaster American Thunder axleback is? Compared to MBRP and Borla or other aftermarket exhausts? Does it drone?! If so, is it bad or chill?! This one is a good deal for an NPP axleback!

THANK YOU
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
You unbolt the actuators from your current exhaust and reinstall on the new.

Here are the instructions so you can RTFM.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf install.pdf (328.0 KB, 209 views)
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
I ran the Flowmasters for about a week, drone was unbearable. Switched to Borla. Absolutely perfect now.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Ha. Drone. None...that fake noise sound tube is worse. Get rid of that while you're at it. IMHO
Old 11-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Disconnect the the NPP actuators, put jack stands under the muffler, measure and cut the 2 pipes, unbolt hanger brackets for muffler, remove muffler, swap NPP actuators over to the FM NPP, Install FM mufflers...etc I would use some permatex ultra copper around the joining pipes before clamping them down.

*The flowmaster NPP exhaust comes with instructions that are clear and concise. It's super easy to install. Just make sure you have a good sawzall blade before cutting the pipes and use a file to clean the edges after the cut.

The drone is very minimal to non existent with the valves closed. If you drive with the valves open, expect some drone around 1500rpm. It's not bad and lets you know that you have bald eagles under the hood instead of V-tech.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Ill be looking at adding a axle back on my ZL1/ LE in the next few weeks. Im waiting to see what options I have come Black Friday. All the research Ive done on the NPP installs everything seems pretty straight forward. It probably makes things more pleasant if you had a lift. Im leaning towards Borla or Stainless Works just due to the fact that at somepoint Ill have a complete system with headers underneath it and I want everything the same manufacture. I had a Borla system on my Gen5 SS a few years ago that I installed myself and everything went together very well.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
greg0ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
You unbolt the actuators from your current exhaust and reinstall on the new.

Here are the instructions so you can RTFM.
Thanks
Old 11-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
greg0ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
I ran the Flowmasters for about a week, drone was unbearable. Switched to Borla. Absolutely perfect now.
If only borla wasn't so expensive that's the best one. But damn, unbearable?! Think I'm gonna go mbrp no valve then.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
greg0ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
Ha. Drone. None...that fake noise sound tube is worse. Get rid of that while you're at it. IMHO
Wait, watchya mean?!
Old 11-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #10
greg0ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Disconnect the the NPP actuators, put jack stands under the muffler, measure and cut the 2 pipes, unbolt hanger brackets for muffler, remove muffler, swap NPP actuators over to the FM NPP, Install FM mufflers...etc I would use some permatex ultra copper around the joining pipes before clamping them down.

*The flowmaster NPP exhaust comes with instructions that are clear and concise. It's super easy to install. Just make sure you have a good sawzall blade before cutting the pipes and use a file to clean the edges after the cut.

The drone is very minimal to non existent with the valves closed. If you drive with the valves open, expect some drone around 1500rpm. It's not bad and lets you know that you have bald eagles under the hood instead of V-tech.

Thanks so much! Lol at the last part. Enjoyed this very helpful message!
Old 11-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #11
greg0ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
Ill be looking at adding a axle back on my ZL1/ LE in the next few weeks. Im waiting to see what options I have come Black Friday. All the research Ive done on the NPP installs everything seems pretty straight forward. It probably makes things more pleasant if you had a lift. Im leaning towards Borla or Stainless Works just due to the fact that at somepoint Ill have a complete system with headers underneath it and I want everything the same manufacture. I had a Borla system on my Gen5 SS a few years ago that I installed myself and everything went together very well.
You can't go wrong with Borla 100 %. Also, I don't think even black Friday can beat juicedmotorsports.com with coupon code "camaro6"!... Can it? You can get a borla atak with npp for 1360 out the door no tax or shipping fees.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
retmil

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry SS
FYI - I had the MBRP on my 17SS and replaced it because the drone was way too loud!
retmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
greg0ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by retmil View Post
FYI - I had the MBRP on my 17SS and replaced it because the drone was way too loud!
Damn, for real?! D: I heard mbrp has no drone dang
Old 11-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #14
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0ry View Post
If only borla wasn't so expensive that's the best one. But damn, unbearable?! Think I'm gonna go mbrp no valve then.
It was for me. But it's my daily driver, and I do a lot of around town driving. It was all drone for me, ringing ears every time I stopped. Once you get out on the highway and crusing or wot, it's not so bad. It had to go.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote