Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
2016 A8 Issue

I have done a few searches, and have not found anything along these lines. Maybe I am searching along the wrong lines.

Today, I was driving down the interstate running around 83-85. I was a mile from where I needed to get off, so I sped up to clear slower traffic so that I could get over. As soon as the car hit 100, it lost all power (not electrical). No throttle response at all. Once the car slowed to around 65, I regained throttle control. I have asked the dealer about this several times, and they have no info. As a side note, this is not the first time. However, when this has happened in the past, it was from getting on the throttle hard from a rolling 15-20mph. In those cases, it would cut out around 60 or so. I was almost rear ended once when I was merging on the interstate from an on ramp due to this as well.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
teen driver mode is 85 mph

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBody View Post
teen driver mode is 85 mph

I don't think that is available in a 2016. IIRC, that was introduced in the Camaro with the 2017MY.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
Today, I was driving down the interstate running around 83-85. I was a mile from where I needed to get off, so I sped up to clear slower traffic so that I could get over. As soon as the car hit 100, it lost all power (not electrical). No throttle response at all. Once the car slowed to around 65, I regained throttle control.
If the car stops responding to throttle input then it sounds like an electrical problem. The throttle is electronic so there could be a problem with one of the wire harnesses or connectors. Also check that the ground cable post near the fuse box is tight.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:16 PM   #5
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
If the car stops responding to throttle input then it sounds like an electrical problem. The throttle is electronic so there could be a problem with one of the wire harnesses or connectors. Also check that the ground cable post near the fuse box is tight.
My first thought.

Either pedal position sensor, wiring to ECM, wiring from ECM to TB, Throttle actuator, or TPS sensor or wiring is my go to.

I would imagine it should have triggered a code if it was that bad.

gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
sb101985

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Convertible
I certainly don't truly know what would cause this issue, but my guess would be the OEM tune. I haven't had any issues on my Camaro before I had it tuned, but my 21 Tahoe has had several issues that have all been related to software. I had acceleration issues due to stabilitrak that have placed it in limp mode. I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't having a similar issue.
sb101985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:19 AM   #7
Algeron

CEL, or any other warning light, never came on. Just the pedal died. I bought the car brand new in 2016. CEL came on once about 2 months ago when I cranked the car to drive home. Got in the car the next day and it was off, but there were no issues for the 1 15 min drive when it came on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb101985 View Post
I certainly don't truly know what would cause this issue, but my guess would be the OEM tune. I haven't had any issues on my Camaro before I had it tuned, but my 21 Tahoe has had several issues that have all been related to software. I had acceleration issues due to stabilitrak that have placed it in limp mode. I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't having a similar issue.
A tune has not been performed on this car. Other than the aftermarket CAI, nothing has been done to the motor.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:42 AM   #8
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Take it to the dealer.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:45 AM   #9
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
Take it to the dealer.
Hopefully they can replicate it.

I’ve dealt with a couple severe issues where the dealers couldn’t replicate it on a work vehicle.

It’s annoying.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:03 AM   #10
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Hopefully they can replicate it.

I’ve dealt with a couple severe issues where the dealers couldn’t replicate it on a work vehicle.

It’s annoying.
It's like a car or truck has a mind of it's own. Acts normal at the dealer and once you drive away there it goes again.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #11
Algeron

I have taken it when this happened before. They cannot replicate it. Honestly, I cannot even replicate it on demand. Every time this has happened, it has been from a rolling start and jumped on the throttle. Before yesterday, the last time it happened was over a year ago.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #12
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
It's like a car or truck has a mind of it's own. Acts normal at the dealer and once you drive away there it goes again.
No kidding!

Work truck, a few months old, did this “Reduced Power Mode” once. Employee told me about it, so I called the local dealer, “Oh yeah, that’s often the fuel heater.” “OK, so why is my <2K mile truck going into limo mode?” Never did it again.

Later in that year it developed an occasional shudder I associated to a TC. Took it to the dealer that we bought our other truck from, they had it for over a month & couldn’t get it to do it. Shit-show, trust me. Well the end of last year it had gotten way worse, had video, etc. Took it to another dealer & a mechanic went for a ride, he agreed with me something tranny related.

Well long story short they pawned it off on another dealer who had for over another month & refused to do anything until they could replicate it. Finally sent them videos of it doing it. Magically they could replicate it, then get this THERE WAS A FRICKEN TSB THE WHOLE DAMN TIME! Yeah, that didn’t work, have to bring it in again next month.

Oh, now that original issue of reduced power mode, finally popped a code after intermittently doing it for 2yrs. P0236, turbo/ sensor related. Now it pops into limp mode 5, 6 maybe more times each time I drive it, or not at all, cause, ya know, that’s the way it is.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
I have taken it when this happened before. They cannot replicate it. Honestly, I cannot even replicate it on demand. Every time this has happened, it has been from a rolling start and jumped on the throttle. Before yesterday, the last time it happened was over a year ago.
This may be what you’re looking for. If sudden acceleration triggers the problem then it could be a problem with a wire harness to the engine. The sudden acceleration will shift the engine on the motor mounts and flex the wiring. There are a few TSBs for similar problems. Check for wires that might be rubbing the belts. Also check for rubbing where the harness is attached to the body and frame. Finally check that all the cables connectors are tight on the ECM.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
This may be what you’re looking for. If sudden acceleration triggers the problem then it could be a problem with a wire harness to the engine. The sudden acceleration will shift the engine on the motor mounts and flex the wiring. There are a few TSBs for similar problems. Check for wires that might be rubbing the belts. Also check for rubbing where the harness is attached to the body and frame. Finally check that all the cables connectors are tight on the ECM.
Do you happen to have any of the TSB numbers? I will look as well, but it would be helpful in case I miss something.