Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
Chris_Karl

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10

Last edited by Chris_Karl; 02-01-2024 at 12:57 PM.
Chris_Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
I've been recently looking into this and it seems to be a pretty even split.

Some deciding factors tend to be the NPP on the Borla, but since you're not going for it then it loses that advdantage.

I've also seen a few say that the Corsa is a little deeper than the Borla ATAK.

I'm getting the ARH full system installed soon with the Corsa axleback. It's hard to find a good comparison between the axlebacks because in most cases the rest of the exhaust system isn't the same, but from what I've heard in person I tend to like the sound of Corsas more.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The Corsa is only going to be deeper at idle once you start moving especially in the upper rpms people are going to be able to hear you from miles away. Both are going to be loud and raspy especially with catless headers but to me the Borla hides the rasp better at the lower rpms. You might want to actually consider a npp version of either system if you have neighbors because cold starts on either system is brutal.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #4
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
I find myself using npp valves closed when I pull up to cops after some pulls and I only have the atak catback. The sound bounces off cars at idle at times. With headers woooee you go def in a ear if you stand too close
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
19Nasty1le
Craig

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I have the Extreme+ and have been told Long Tube catless with it will be like NASCAR
Old 09-15-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
While I haven't had either catback, from either company, on this car, I have had catbacks from both companies on other cars ('95 and '02 Z28 [Borla adjustable] and '05 H2 [Corsa Touring & Corsa Sport]). While these are different cars, the muffler technology in each, I think, has consistencies through their respective line-ups.

Having 2-cars with Borlas (and hearing many with Corsas at the track), I'd say that the idle was pretty subdued, and the pulses smoothed out with throttle. I never got drone on the freeway and, with LTs, I think the exhaust sounded better with the cutout closed (i.e. that there was refinement and not just a bunch of rasp on the throttle with the cutout closed). It was a clean, loud, but nice sound.

The H2, which I had with a stock 364, a 370 (with an LS3-type top end and a Cheater cam), and a 408 with an LS3-type top end and a BTR Stage IV cam), had a louder idle and shrieked on the throttle. The pulses were more staccato and the Sport muffler was definitely more raspy. However - there was nearly no drone, and what little there was, was more white noise than anything.

I think LTs and either catback will be considerably louder but you might try to find video clips and get a reference. RPM-videos showcase a lot of combinations that might give you something to go off of.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
The exhaust combo you are considering is basically going to be ungodly loud, and basically sound like shit. Of course it's your car and your money, but I'd rethink it if possible.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
ARH into ARH long system with high flow cats to stock muffler. Sounds amazing and the fit and quality outstanding
Old 09-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #9
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Just went to JRods to look at getting my car worked on. Listened to a ZL1 there with headers and corsas. Nope I change my mind 100% on doing this. I had to yell from 3 feet away and still the guy couldn't hear me. Loud is an understatement. Going WOT with that setup next to someone should be an assault charge!
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
Just went to JRods to look at getting my car worked on. Listened to a ZL1 there with headers and corsas. Nope I change my mind 100% on doing this. I had to yell from 3 feet away and still the guy couldn't hear me. Loud is an understatement. Going WOT with that setup next to someone should be an assault charge!
JRod is awesome, and you will be really happy with his work. Glad you went and listened, I really dont think the ATAK or Extreme+ were made for headers, its awful LOL.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
JRod is awesome, and you will be really happy with his work. Glad you went and listened, I really dont think the ATAK or Extreme+ were made for headers, its awful LOL.
I'd go as far as saying anything without npp is not made for headers.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
If i were doing catless headers I’d bump down to the corsa sport or borla sport...it’ll just be loud noises with no clean sound. Coyote is the same way once headers are introduced. Bump down a level in catback loudness if going catless, then you have the best sound in the free world.

Edit: i am wanting CSP headers to connect to my stainless works catback, but it’s not near as loud compared to a corsa extreme or borla atak...and I’m still slightly concerned I’ll hafta add resonators or put my fuse for the NPP back in.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Corsa + Headers + No cats and let her eat. This is America.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I have the full borla ATAK catback with NPP on my 2019 ZL1 now and honestly i think its still too quiet. If i put it in stealth its very quiet, even in the cabin at WOT with windows closed all i hear is the whine from the SC.

With that said, I am getting 2" kooks with green catted connections on monday going into the cat back.

Does anyone have any idea how loud this is going to be if you close the valves? Is it going to be obnoxious? Most of the sound clips I see are from catless headers and i cant find much with the green cats as far as sound wise.

I picked up the Magnaflow 12469 3" dual muffler that would go in the straight spot in the X pipe before the rear axle just in case.

The shop i spoke to though said it would be def more quiet with the green cats then catless.

Anyone have their 2c on this as far as sound level?

Thanks!
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote