Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-19-2018, 01:31 AM   #1
CamaroShane

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile First Car! I'm 18 years old! Need tips/advice!

Hey everyone! I just bought myself(yes, myself, not my parents lol) a brand new 2017 Camaro 1lt V6(Haha, I know its a V6.). Anyways, I just installed a spoiler, plastidipped the bowtie, and did a muffler delete. This thing is awesome! I'll share some pictures and videos later.

I got a few newbie questions:
-Now, since I am on a budget, I was wondering if I should paint my stock calipers red with high temp caliper paint? Also, should I plastidip my rims black or glossy paint?

-Should I plastidip my taillights or buy tint(tint is hard to apply to taillights lol).

-Is it ok to "floor" my car? Can I redline it a lot? How much is too much? I don't do it all the time, but maybe 2-3 times each day. It's my daily car. I got 2250 miles on it right now.

-I want to make my car eventually look like the ZL1 1LE but the only thing I cannot find is the canards. Does anyone know where to get some canards that look similar to the ZL1 1LE that can fit the 1lt v6?

Thank you all in advance! I'm excited to join the Camaro community!
Attached Images

CamaroShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:35 AM   #2
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Its your car, do what you want. I question how many times you redline it yet state you don't do it often. Not doing it often to me is once every 4-5 months. But drive it how you want, again, its your car.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 AM   #3
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Congrats your fortunate to own such a cool car at your age wish I could have afforded one at 18. I’m trying hard to make up for it now thought lol. Try to Save extra money and look at Another option for taillights the Chevy oem zl1 1le dark type .

They are expensive but shop around can get for Under 500 and center brake light too shipped under 600. Best do it right first time. The brake caliper color is preference but red will stand out / pop more when clean otherwise show dust easier. Rev it much as you like but just remember the more you beat on it the more likely something will break. I found that out pretty quickly when I was 18. But hey it ls an Camaro so can take some beating as long as not endangering anyone. Plastic dip rims can be removed later if you want little shine apply plastic dip glossifier after you plastic dip. This way your not stuck with color that’s not reversible.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #4
Gabhart

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Don't get so caught up in modifying the hell out of it. Drive and enjoy it for what it is.

Dump the plastidip.

Some folks don't believe in breaking a car in but I feel it's worth the piece of mind to help the drive train last and perform as it should. Refer to your owners manual.
Gabhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
+1 on GM aftermarket tail lights
Name:  IMG_0247-1.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  196.0 KB

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Don’t make the car look like something it isn’t. Making it look like the ZL1 1LE is like putting an M3 badge on a 320i.

Any exterior mods should be tasteful like the OEM blacked out headlights mentioned above or getting the HID headlight’s from the RS package. Save up for those. Doing things right may cost money, but it’s worth it. Eventually things done on the cheap will become regrets and undoing it can be pricey.

Don’t be ashame of having the V6. It’s a great engine. Especially for your first car. Be safe with driving it on the streets. It may not be the LT1, but it still has 335 HP and can get you into trouble quick. As for flooring it.... From an engine perspective, doing it every once in awhile won’t be bad for the engine, just wait until the oil is at operating temperature. Now as for flooring it on the streets.... I wouldn’t define 2-3 times a day as a few times, but just be smart about it. Remember you’re not just endangering yourself, but others too on public roads. As I stated, the V6 still has enough power to get you into trouble quick. I mean when I floored my SS for the first(and only time), I learned that it just wasn’t safe to do so on the streets. I started from a roll at 10 MPH, and found myself doing way over the limit in a few seconds. That is better kept to the track. Respect the power the V6 makes.

Anyway, congrats on the car. You will love it. Just be smart and safe with it.

Last edited by ChevyRules; 01-19-2018 at 07:54 AM.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
A V6 is plenty of power to begin learning about torque & Hp, good choice. In a few years you can trade up to a V8. Be careful, and learn the driving techniques used for twisty's and drag as you drive it. Congrat's on your 1st. hot rod! My 1st. was a 67 Camaro at 17.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
For sure paint the calipers. G2 is epoxy based and holds up well. Search the forum for the many threads on that.

Beautiful car. No way I could have had something like that at 18. My first car cost $300, but that also taught me how to work on a car. That served me well all my life.

Be careful also. At 18 it's not like you have yet gained a lot of experience with driving.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #9
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroShane View Post
Hey everyone! I just bought myself(yes, myself, not my parents lol) a brand new 2017 Camaro 1lt V6(Haha, I know its a V6.). Anyways, I just installed a spoiler, plastidipped the bowtie, and did a muffler delete. This thing is awesome! I'll share some pictures and videos later.

I got a few newbie questions:
-Now, since I am on a budget, I was wondering if I should paint my stock calipers red with high temp caliper paint? Also, should I plastidip my rims black or glossy paint?

-Should I plastidip my taillights or buy tint(tint is hard to apply to taillights lol).

-Is it ok to "floor" my car? Can I redline it a lot? How much is too much? I don't do it all the time, but maybe 2-3 times each day. It's my daily car. I got 2250 miles on it right now.

-I want to make my car eventually look like the ZL1 1LE but the only thing I cannot find is the canards. Does anyone know where to get some canards that look similar to the ZL1 1LE that can fit the 1lt v6?

Thank you all in advance! I'm excited to join the Camaro community!
Cool car but becareful, WOT 2 - 3 times each day is alot, especially for a brand new car. You haven't even broken it in yet. I drive my 1LT V6 pretty hard and its fun but I have reasonable limits, I don't push it "too much" so to speak.

Don't paint the calipres, it will look like crap after about 3 - 4 months. If you really want to do something to them, just upgrade them to Brembo's the SS comes with, they come powder coated and will look much better and perform much better than stock.

PERSONALLY.. I would not mod your car though.. keep it as a DD and LEARN from it.. try not to over do it. It has more than enough power as is to get you into trouble should you become unwise with it ... Also, you're 18, you're definitely on a budget... don't do anything that will void its warranty... the stuff that makes that car work properly is not cheap at all. keep you car for about 2 years and upgrade to an SS when the 2019's are out.

One thing I had to learn the hard way when I was younger, is sometimes the way the car comes right out the factory is truly its best configuration, when we try to mod..we can make expensive mistakes.. ..so before you start throwing money at it, make sure you fully examine the possible consequences and know what the heck you're doing.. if it were me, especially in your shoes, limited finances, and a car note, that warranty of yours has ALOT more value than a few mods.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Don’t make the car look like something it isn’t. Making it look like the ZL1 1LE is like putting an M3 badge on a 320i.

Any exterior mods should be tasteful like the OEM blacked out headlights mentioned above or getting the HID headlight’s from the RS package. Save up for those. Doing things right may cost money, but it’s worth it. Eventually things done on the cheap will become regrets and undoing it can be pricey.

Don’t be ashame of having the V6. It’s a great engine. Especially for your first car. Be safe with driving it on the streets. It may not be the LT1, but it still has 335 HP and can get you into trouble quick. As for flooring it.... From an engine perspective, doing it every once in awhile won’t be bad for the engine, just wait until the oil is at operating temperature. Now as for flooring it on the streets.... I wouldn’t define 2-3 times a day as a few times, but just be smart about it. Remember you’re not just endangering yourself, but others too on public roads. As I stated, the V6 still has enough power to get you into trouble quick. I mean when I floored my SS for the first(and only time), I learned that it just wasn’t safe to do so on the streets. I started from a roll at 10 MPH, and found myself doing way over the limit in a few seconds. That is better kept to the track. Respect the power the V6 makes.

Anyway, congrats on the car. You will love it. Just be smart and safe with it.
X2
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
G2 paint last year’s, it’ll look fine. But before you paint the brakes, realize that they’re very small and when you paint them , they just accentuate the fact that you have very small brakes and bring attention to them. A better alternative is just make them fade away completely by using barbecue paint- rustoleum -satin black and a foam brush, takes 15 minutes per wheel and now the brakes just go away. I’m going on two years, mine still look good:
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #12
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
G2 paint last year’s, it’ll look fine. But before you paint the brakes, realize that they’re very small and when you paint them , they just accentuate the fact that you have very small brakes and bring attention to them.

I prefer painted calipers myself, as it makes the car look so much nicer. That being said, Glen bring's up a very good point. The non Brembo calipers are tiny, and will stand out/not look as great with the bigger wheels....soooooo

Might be that you could just get a pair of the nice caliper covers

https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...ers-s/1441.htm
Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I think what you've done looks great. Seriously, that's a heck of a car to own at 18.

I'd leave well enough alone, pay as much against the principal possible. If you can tuck +/- 5K away in the bank over the next few years, you'll have a lot of options. IE. move out of your parents house (if you haven't already), maybe buy a condo or house, put the $$ down on a new or lightly used SS, 1LE, pay down school loans, whatever makes you feel good.

I remember being 18 and how I felt when finally being free, driving my own car. That included being reckless -tailgating, flooring my in less than desirable conditions to pass, far exceeding the speed limit in unfamiliar areas and just plain showing off. Cars back then had 130- 170 hp and weighed more (so they were slow compared to what you have). I can only say try to think before you act, be an example to your friends and enjoy what you have in both the car and your youth.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
ClaunchOfficial

Drives: 2024 SS 1LE
Congrats on your car. No way would I make it look a like a ZL1 1LE that would be silly. I'd recommend finding some black SS takeoff wheels they will be more budget friendly and make your car look tons better. I wouldn't go crazy with plasti dip either. Also I agree with Glen above. Red would just make the small brakes stand out for the wrong reasons. You have a nice car keep it looking clean and don't make it look tacky like a kid who takes spray paint to their Honda trying to make it look like a race car instead ends up getting made fun of.
ClaunchOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1lt, camaro v6, first car, new camaro, new driver