Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #29
milagroski

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2 Silver Mist stock
I chose a used, minter with super low km's, not even broken in. . Full inspection, comes with extended warranty, etc. Never seen a winter, never seen rain, driven by an old lady on a few summer days. Fully loaded. I got this car for a great deal. IMHO, and about $15g less than the one at the lot. My dealership wasn't pleased as they just sold us a Silverado, but we checked there first...I'm thrifty, lol.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #30
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
It depends on the particular camaro that you want. If you want a specific series with the trim level you desire, then you will need to figure out which method is the best way to get it.

Short of it is: If you can't afford the car new, then buying used may be a good way. Either way, you have to do your homework by learning the car's features, and pay due dilligence by shopping around several dealerships in order to get the best bargain.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #31
Misfit
Jumpmaster

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
My opinion:
I waited until I had the financial stability and fiscal responsibility to own a Camaro. In the beginning of 2011 I was about to buy a V6 for about $22k or $23k, at that point I was newly married and was still trying to establish a household so I backed out of the Camaro idea and got a used "grocery getter/family car" for about $14k. Now that I have learned something about fiscal responsibility, I have the other car paid off, sold one of my other vehicles and now I have a brand new SS on order and I won't be straining myself financially to afford it.
It is true you can get a good deal on a used Camaro, but you're at the mercy of what's available on the market as far as color, trim level, options, etc. Just the way I look at it, if I'm going to buy a car that I've been wanting for a while, I want it to be MINE the way I want it and nobody else is going to drive my new Camaro. Also, a Camaro (V6 or V8) is a performance vehicle and it should be driven as such. But I'm not comfortable with the prospect of someone else I don't know owning it prior to me and not knowing how they've treated the car or how well the car has been maintained. All sorts of questions rise out of it and it bothers me. Who did the oil changes? What oil/filters did they use? Did they break in the engine to get proper ring seal? How did they drive it? Did they abuse it? I'm not personally comfortable buying a performance car with this many unknowns. If it wasn't a Camaro then sure whatever, buy used. This is just my opinion based off of personal experience and my logic to justify buying a new one.
CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Apex Motorsports Catch Can, Apex Intake Scoop/Washer Bottle Relocate, Skip Shift Eliminator, Stainless Works 2" Headers, High Flow Cats, Retro Catback Exhaust, JRE Tune...more to follow

12.6087 1/4 ET @ 113.98MPH on stock tires.
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #32
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
My opinion:
I waited until I had the financial stability and fiscal responsibility to own a Camaro. In the beginning of 2011 I was about to buy a V6 for about $22k or $23k, at that point I was newly married and was still trying to establish a household so I backed out of the Camaro idea and got a used "grocery getter/family car" for about $14k. Now that I have learned something about fiscal responsibility, I have the other car paid off, sold one of my other vehicles and now I have a brand new SS on order and I won't be straining myself financially to afford it.
It is true you can get a good deal on a used Camaro, but you're at the mercy of what's available on the market as far as color, trim level, options, etc. Just the way I look at it, if I'm going to buy a car that I've been wanting for a while, I want it to be MINE the way I want it and nobody else is going to drive my new Camaro. Also, a Camaro (V6 or V8) is a performance vehicle and it should be driven as such. But I'm not comfortable with the prospect of someone else I don't know owning it prior to me and not knowing how they've treated the car or how well the car has been maintained. All sorts of questions rise out of it and it bothers me. Who did the oil changes? What oil/filters did they use? Did they break in the engine to get proper ring seal? How did they drive it? Did they abuse it? I'm not personally comfortable buying a performance car with this many unknowns. If it wasn't a Camaro then sure whatever, buy used. This is just my opinion based off of personal experience and my logic to justify buying a new one.
Misfit's advice is excellent . Although I do think that used cars can be a great value especially low mileage ones delaying your gratification until you are ready to purchase EXACTLY what you want is the best route. Sit on it think about what you want instead of focusing on how can I get it RIGHT NOW. Saving some money for a year or two, working on your credit score, or getting a promotion at work are not only going to allow you to make the purchase easier but you might be able to comfortably get more car than you thought you could afford.

I see tons of messages here about people buying a car and then later trading it in for "something better." That costs a fortune because you take a hit on the trade in and you have more and usually higher payments. If a used car is EXACTLY what you want then I say go for it, but if its not if there is even one small thing that you are unsatisfied with I would counsel to wait. In the long run you will be happier. Good luck in your decision!
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #33
MRB2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to MRB2SS
I purchased a 2010 RS V6 used in North Carolina (with 12k miles), then traded it in for a 2011 2SS having 6k miles. There is NO WAY I would pay higher payments, taxes and insurance for a NEW car when I can find these all day long, with less than 10k miles, and only being 1 to 2 years old. I cannot justify buying a new one!

You just get what you want, and unless you are in Congress - what you can afford!
MRB2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #34
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB2SS View Post
I purchased a 2010 RS V6 used in North Carolina (with 12k miles), then traded it in for a 2011 2SS having 6k miles. There is NO WAY I would pay higher payments, taxes and insurance for a NEW car when I can find these all day long, with less than 10k miles, and only being 1 to 2 years old. I cannot justify buying a new one!

You just get what you want, and unless you are in Congress - what you can afford!
largely agree, I have been looking at new ones but can't find the right one, all I know is that a fully loaded used camaro can be had with a few thousand miles on it 5-10 K cheaper than new. don't see paying several thousand more when I can find the same car a few months down the road by just being patient and being ready to pounce when the time comes. let someone else with deeper pockets take the hit in depreciation! Come spring will start looking for the right one.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

well took my own advice and traded for a pristine 2011 2SS, got 20K for my 1LT with 14561 miles, payment will be 25 dollars more a month and insurance shoul be 10 more, sof for roughly 35 bucks a month I made the jump to an SS, extended the loan out a couple more years but very happy with the deal!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #36
Javier1C

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1Lt
Old topic but I would like to add my opinion since I just made this decision. I just bought a 2014 Camaro 1lt for a couple thousand under msrp. 27 and some change. I could have gotten a 10 2ss or 11, but being a muscle car, they will be driven hard.. But my next purchase will be newer camaro v8.
Javier1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #37
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

after all is said and done I am paying 27.11 more a month to drive an SS, can't complain

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
Old 12-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #38
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Slowmaro View Post
Buying a brand new car is a bad investment. You'll lose money everytime.
Besides, you'll be MUCH happier in a '10 SS than a '13 base, trust me
Buying any car is a bad investment. These aren't investments, they are depreciating assets.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #39
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldag View Post
Buying a Camaro (or any sports car) used is a big risk in my eyes. Odds are high that it has been driven hard.

Buy a new car, take great care of it from day one and a GM will last a long time.
Why are the odds higher that it's been driven hard? One day you will sell yours, how have you driven it?

Also, these cars do just fine when they are driven hard.

I'd be much more suspicious of a car that doesn't have any maintenance records.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #40
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Why are the odds higher that it's been driven hard? One day you will sell yours, how have you driven it?

Also, these cars do just fine when they are driven hard.

I'd be much more suspicious of a car that doesn't have any maintenance records.
Speaking of this, whats the best way to keep maintenance records of diy jobs (i.e. Oil change)?

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #41
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteven View Post
Speaking of this, whats the best way to keep maintenance records of diy jobs (i.e. Oil change)?
Ummmmm do it you self and write it down in a filing book. I am glad I can fix a lot of things on my SS. Every issue I now have I know about and can fix my self unless I feel lazy in which then I just grab a bag and .
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #42
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
That's assuming the buyer is trusting. I could easily make all that up. I was thinking more of taking pictures and saving receipts.

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buyers remorse, dealers, new camaro, used camaro