Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #71
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Nice! A moment he will remember forever. That would have been like winning the lottery for me at that age. I probably would’ve stayed up all night cleaning/waxing it! Lol Color does look nice as well.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #72
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
My only issue with the Challys is that they are just too big and heavy. At least the EB Stang is light and still pretty fast. In the quarter it'll keep up with the 5/7 Hemi Challys for sure. The V6er Challys tho, they can't get out of their own way. Not that performance is everything but...performance kinda IS everything. The EB still has great practicality. And it is very modd-able. Unlike the SXT. And have you ever tried to park a Chally or maneuver it thru traffic? It is no fun I will tell you that much. Plus it is boring looking and just too plain. It is soul-less. But to each their own. It just feels like to me, the lowest trim I would go on a Chally is the R/T. Well not ME personally. I personally wouldn't go lower than the Hellcat. But I don't think the SXT is a good choice at all. Not knocking your comment. Just conversatin...
Heh, all good, no snowflake here, and btw I said Charger, not Challenger, but maybe that makes my comment look even worse

The thing is, knowing what I would've done with a Mustang at 17, plus thinking about the friends one would want to take on drives who may give him crap about having to climb in and out, I thought a 4-door might be more reasonable. But, you know what, I'll just ask my kids, they are getting close to that age anyway

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #73
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Heh, all good, no snowflake here, and btw I said Charger, not Challenger, but maybe that makes my comment look even worse

The thing is, knowing what I would've done with a Mustang at 17, plus thinking about the friends one would want to take on drives who may give him crap about having to climb in and out, I thought a 4-door might be more reasonable. But, you know what, I'll just ask my kids, they are getting close to that age anyway
Shows how much attention I pay...maybe my ex-gf was right after all, lol!!

I hear ya but, unpopular opinion, kids kinda do need to be able to be wild and free and have fun and make some bad decisions. LOL!! A Charger is a nice, responsible car and it would probably inhibit some hooligan-ish behavior. But it is also a bit dull. I mean, a teenager pulling up in a Mustang to show off to his friends and some chicks and go riding around in and get some attention from people...maybe even to enjoy some spirited driving in with the music blasting and windows down. I mean, not for nothing, but the Pandemic took a lot from kids (no graduations, no parties, etc)...on top of that us adults ruined their world with this common core math BS and all the other super strict BS they have to do these days. I know I'm glad I'm not growing up in this age because I don't think I would have been as successful as I am from growing up in the 90s. Point is, if the kid is responsible and mature and has good upbringing and if the parents sit down and set some ground rules for his behavior with the car, then let him enjoy a fast coupe.

On top of that these days you can set alerts on a lot of these cars and speed warnings...some apps can even notify you when a vehicle hard brakes, hard accels, etc. Like the MyChevrolet app does. They could tell him that he has to go without the car for a week for every incident. Or something like that. Dude seems like a good protective caring and watchful parent. So I think it'll be fine. And I say let your kids enjoy a cool car too. Lord knows we won't even have these cars soon with the government cracking down on everything. I say let them see and enjoy our dying culture while they still can. There will be plenty of time to drive slow uninspiring soulless vehicles in the future. LOL!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #74
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Congrats! Looks like a very nice ride.

Just make sure he doesn't get too wild with it. I have a friend who had one of these a while ago and he couldn't stop getting speeding tickets. Even got towed once due to excessive speeding. Tell him to drive safely!

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #75
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:

I hear ya but, unpopular opinion, kids kinda do need to be able to be wild and free and have fun and make some bad decisions. LOL!! A Charger is a nice, responsible car and it would probably inhibit some hooligan-ish behavior. But it is also a bit dull. I mean, a teenager pulling up in a Mustang to show off to his friends and some chicks and go riding around in and get some attention from people...maybe even to enjoy some spirited driving in with the music blasting and windows down. I mean, not for nothing, but the Pandemic took a lot from kids (no graduations, no parties, etc)...on top of that us adults ruined their world with this common core math BS and all the other super strict BS they have to do these days. I know I'm glad I'm not growing up in this age because I don't think I would have been as successful as I am from growing up in the 90s. Point is, if the kid is responsible and mature and has good upbringing and if the parents sit down and set some ground rules for his behavior with the car, then let him enjoy a fast coupe.

On top of that these days you can set alerts on a lot of these cars and speed warnings...some apps can even notify you when a vehicle hard brakes, hard accels, etc. Like the MyChevrolet app does. They could tell him that he has to go without the car for a week for every incident. Or something like that. Dude seems like a good protective caring and watchful parent.
So I think it'll be fine. And I say let your kids enjoy a cool car too. Lord knows we won't even have these cars soon with the government cracking down on everything. I say let them see and enjoy our dying culture while they still can. There will be plenty of time to drive slow uninspiring soulless vehicles in the future. LOL!!
Thanks for the kind words. We're going to be very careful. He's been driving with a learners permit for about 7 months now and has logged a lot of hours. The plan is for him to get another 4 months of experience in this specific car before he gets his full license. Once he gets his full license I'm going to buy a monitor that plugs into the OOBD port and set it to send me alerts for sudden braking, sudden acceleration, or speeds that exceed the speed limit by 5 mph or more. If he violates that he'll lose his driving privileges for a period of time based on how serious the infraction is.

His grades got him the car, he has to keep those at an A+ as a condition of having the car. On top of that he has to do all his chores, including yard work in order for me to pay the insurance and put gas in it.

In Georgia the Hope and Zell scholarships will pretty much pay for college, so in the long run buying this car for him will be cheaper than paying for four years of college. Slightly better pic.
Attached Images

Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #76
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Just read this thru. Luck young man, congratulations to you both!

Although I’m partial to my cars, that’s a sharp looking ride.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #77
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
That’ll move you up in the poll for Father of the Year. Lucky son, nice Pops, congrats on the new ride!
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #78
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

On top of that these days you can set alerts on a lot of these cars and speed warnings...some apps can even notify you when a vehicle hard brakes, hard accels, etc. Like the MyChevrolet app does. They could tell him that he has to go without the car for a week for every incident. Or something like that. Dude seems like a good protective caring and watchful parent. So I think it'll be fine. And I say let your kids enjoy a cool car too. Lord knows we won't even have these cars soon with the government cracking down on everything. I say let them see and enjoy our dying culture while they still can. There will be plenty of time to drive slow uninspiring soulless vehicles in the future. LOL!!
This actually made me stop and think for a while, because you are making some very salient points, thanks
We are no helicopter parents though, our kids enjoy the maximum possible freedom while also given a safe and loving home (wifey, mostly) and structure (me, mostly). Well, at least we are trying hard.

Nothing wrong with some fun indeed, especially when one's dad is Wyzz Kydd who is generous and sets perfectly reasonable boundaries; he is apparently raising a man, not a pathetic, whiny adult child. (Also, just for the record, where I'm coming from, even a Charger would've been a trip halfway to heaven, that and "dull" would never have been in the same sentence from my mouth.) Car culture may be dying, but there is always a next incarnation of something worth pursuing, the human spirit cannot easily be quenched.

You've hit the nail on the head about the pandemic toll on kids, too—my daughter's friend had to be taken to the ER because, unfortunately, she is going through a hard time and started cutting herself, and she was remanded in ER for over a week, because beds both there and in every nearby hospital were occupied by depressed and suicidal teenagers. When I learned about this, I thought it was some sick joke, but no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Thanks for the kind words. We're going to be very careful. He's been driving with a learners permit for about 7 months now and has logged a lot of hours. The plan is for him to get another 4 months of experience in this specific car before he gets his full license. Once he gets his full license I'm going to buy a monitor that plugs into the OOBD port and set it to send me alerts for sudden braking, sudden acceleration, or speeds that exceed the speed limit by 5 mph or more. If he violates that he'll lose his driving privileges for a period of time based on how serious the infraction is.

His grades got him the car, he has to keep those at an A+ as a condition of having the car. On top of that he has to do all his chores, including yard work in order for me to pay the insurance and put gas in it.

In Georgia the Hope and Zell scholarships will pretty much pay for college, so in the long run buying this car for him will be cheaper than paying for four years of college. Slightly better pic.
Start out tough, then as trust grows, the leash gets longer and is eventually removed. The only strategy that works (which I learned the hard way, teaching 18-22 year olds).

Can't say I personally like the look of Mustangs, but this is one sweet ride, congrats to your son as well on his grades that earned him the car. The paint color is definitely top shelf

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:34 PM   #79
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Yeah, Challenger is the only pony that I go "V8 or go home" because the V6 is all show, no go.

Maybe that's why the dealer is trying to sell them for a discount in the first place.

The 3.6 Pentastar isn't a bad engine reliability-wise. My friends actually rented a V6 Grand Cherokee for a road trip and we are surprised that it actually pulls half-decent. Of course, with a big SUV like Grand Cherokee, we have different expectations versus a Challenger.

I agree regarding the Challenger! You should also add the standard RT to that as well as it's pretty slow too.

For the Challenger it's the Scatpack or nothing. I didn't list Hellcat because that's a whole different price point.

Also, OP how old is your son? Insurance if he's young will be a big factor as well.

This is my personal opinion BUT I would go with like a used 2016 Camaro SS. If that's still too high a better option would be a Mustang like a 2016 GT. The base model Mustang around that time used will be almost the same as the v6 Challenger and you're getting a car nearly as fast as the SS and Scat Pack.

Now if your son is younger than mid 20s I probably would say no simply due to insurance cost and maturity of college or high school students. I would not give them a newer Mustang GT, SS or Scatpack. Can get in a lot of trouble with it.

Otherwise age aside and insurance cost I personally would never buy a v6 muscle car of the big 3 or the standard RT. All are too slow and I'd see them as a waste of money. I'd rather buy a used one with lower miles if I can't afford a new one.

I think even the RT Challenger will feel too slow too. I would only get Scatpack in that.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #80
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
I agree regarding the Challenger! You should also add the standard RT to that as well as it's pretty slow too.

For the Challenger it's the Scatpack or nothing. I didn't list Hellcat because that's a whole different price point.

Also, OP how old is your son? Insurance if he's young will be a big factor as well.

This is my personal opinion BUT I would go with like a used 2016 Camaro SS. If that's still too high a better option would be a Mustang like a 2016 GT. The base model Mustang around that time used will be almost the same as the v6 Challenger and you're getting a car nearly as fast as the SS and Scat Pack.

Now if your son is younger than mid 20s I probably would say no simply due to insurance cost and maturity of college or high school students. I would not give them a newer Mustang GT, SS or Scatpack. Can get in a lot of trouble with it.

Otherwise age aside and insurance cost I personally would never buy a v6 muscle car of the big 3 or the standard RT. All are too slow and I'd see them as a waste of money. I'd rather buy a used one with lower miles if I can't afford a new one.

I think even the RT Challenger will feel too slow too. I would only get Scatpack in that.
It all depends on what you use your car for. If you never track and/or drive more urban than highway then I can see V6 Camaro working out. You know the saying, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, and V6 isn't really that slow IMO.

The issue with Challenger, again, is that it's a one-trick pony performance-wise. For Camaro, some argue that the reduced weight from 2.0T/V6 can be beneficial for handling, particularly in Autocrossing where horsepower doesn't matter as much and being light pays off. Challenger isn't made for handling at all so you need a good engine for it to shine.

And for younger people, you wanna strike a good balance between the car being fun enough that they don't get distracted while driving, but not too wild that they ram into crowds with it. Hot hatches are great for that. Bonus that they are small and decently easy to park. I have a friend with a Fiesta ST. It's not fast but it's still peppy enough for some spirited driving, cheap to own and run, and practical.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #81
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
It's been a month and I thought I would post a follow up. My son loves the car. He drives his siblings to school in the morning, then himself, I drive it home (he's on a learner's permit until July).

The car has just over 1,000 miles on it now. After some spirited driving I'm impressed.

Pros. Very responsive throttle, good acceleration for the class car it is, nimble through the corners with pretty good traction and handling, the transmission is also pretty good, the car looks great, the seats are comfortable, lots of options for upgrades, brakes are good, the dash looks good.

Cons. Some parts of the interior are pretty cheap starting with the infotainment center, which is not touchscreen, seat recline and such is clunky, only two driving modes, normal and sport, same for steering, sun-visors are cheap, imitation leather steering wheel.

I like the car. For what we paid I think it's a great value, and faster than I expected it to be. I ran it through KBB assuming excellent value and 5,000 miles and it came back $3,000 more than what I paid out the door. Hopefully that means my timing was good.

Next up, stripes, and a spoiler for sure, both gloss black. If he can afford it better tires and rims.

What says the forum about some of the glue on accessories Mustangs have, louvered side windows, side panel vents, front fascia vents? Good looking, or avoid at all costs?
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #82
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
It's been a month and I thought I would post a follow up. My son loves the car. He drives his siblings to school in the morning, then himself, I drive it home (he's on a learner's permit until July).

The car has just over 1,000 miles on it now. After some spirited driving I'm impressed.

Pros. Very responsive throttle, good acceleration for the class car it is, nimble through the corners with pretty good traction and handling, the transmission is also pretty good, the car looks great, the seats are comfortable, lots of options for upgrades, brakes are good, the dash looks good.

Cons. Some parts of the interior are pretty cheap starting with the infotainment center, which is not touchscreen, seat recline and such is clunky, only two driving modes, normal and sport, same for steering, sun-visors are cheap, imitation leather steering wheel.

I like the car. For what we paid I think it's a great value, and faster than I expected it to be. I ran it through KBB assuming excellent value and 5,000 miles and it came back $3,000 more than what I paid out the door. Hopefully that means my timing was good.

Next up, stripes, and a spoiler for sure, both gloss black. If he can afford it better tires and rims.

What says the forum about some of the glue on accessories Mustangs have, louvered side windows, side panel vents, front fascia vents? Good looking, or avoid at all costs?
The market is volatile with production halted and demand being high, values have sky rocketed on new and used cars. I expect values to gradually come down as production begins to normalize and demand drops. Happy to hear the kid is loving the car. If you think its quick now wait till you see how they move with just a downpipe and a tune, lol. Yea, ford let me down on the interior as well, I walked away from test driving a new 5.0 and the car left a lot to be desired for the price.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #83
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:

It's great that you were able to get your son something that he likes. I believe that for new drivers you should get the newest car you can realistically afford for them. If they are to be in an accident, then it's far safer than an older car. Insurance should make you financially whole as well.

Wheels, spoiler, and front lip will make a big difference. I'm not personally a fan of the glue on fake vents, but if he likes them, then he should get them.

I've been saying for a while that the base Mustangs and Camaros are proper performers. As long as you can get over that they don't have a V8 and that faster versions exist, then they're a good performance bargain.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #84
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I don't think so, don't be surprised to see a handful of new 2020s still sitting on the lot when the first batch of 2022s roll in, seen this happen almost yearly.
Dealers have 77 days before they have to pay for the vehicle on the lot. Since it is a 20 ands it’s probably been there for a while and they will dump it to get rid of it regardless of time year. I would call them see what they will do.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote