Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #43
Minerbros66

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS, 2018 Shelby Raptor
So I gave them a call today and this is what I found out:

all the testing is done by ATDS employees but it is done under the supervision of EPA and GM employees on a GM rolling road testing unit at GM's facility in Milford MI. testing would put anywhere between 150-175 miles on my car.

I would be allowed to drive my own car down there and pick it up and then drive it back to my house when they are done. It is about a 70 mile drive one way to the facility so that would be another 140 miles on the OD.

The money is negotiable (she wouldn't say how much though, I have to put what I want on the included form and they will give it to GM).

The loaner is unlimited miles and whatever the local enterprise has for a Camaro so likely a 1LT or at most a 1SS. I asked about a C8 and she said it was a possibility to get them from GM but I would have to request it (they have 4 at their disposal to loan out I guess). They do not have any ZL1's. this would all be free of charge and I can ask for a gas card on the request form as well.

Should anything happen to my car during testing or while in their possession GM will fix it free of charge or provide a replacement in the event it is unfixable. If I drive it down there it would never be on any public roads and the only time it would be driven would be when it is pulled into the complex to go for testing.

The lady I spoke to did say however that they have sent out letters to more than 200 2020 Camaro owners in both MI and CA and I'm only like the third person that has called. They have not gotten any forms returned to them yet for the 2020's. I told her that's because 500.00 is an laughable price to have the car for a whole month. She said this is a common issue when they want to test more expensive cars and eventually they have to up their offer and offer more incentives to get people to do it. GM is required to do this testing on cars with varying mileage so from the sounds of it eventually you could bend them over a barrel with you requests if you wait long enough and they don't get enough responses.

I am not going to do this but I figured you guys might be interested in their response.
If I was even going to think about it it would be a C8 rental 1K and free gas. I may send in the form just for kicks and giggles.
2018 Shelby Baja Raptor #87
Minerbros66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #44
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerbros66 View Post
So I gave them a call today and this is what I found out:

all the testing is done by ATDS employees but it is done under the supervision of EPA and GM employees on a GM rolling road testing unit at GM's facility in Milford MI. testing would put anywhere between 150-175 miles on my car.

I would be allowed to drive my own car down there and pick it up and then drive it back to my house when they are done. It is about a 70 mile drive one way to the facility so that would be another 140 miles on the OD.

The money is negotiable (she wouldn't say how much though, I have to put what I want on the included form and they will give it to GM).

The loaner is unlimited miles and whatever the local enterprise has for a Camaro so likely a 1LT or at most a 1SS. I asked about a C8 and she said it was a possibility to get them from GM but I would have to request it (they have 4 at their disposal to loan out I guess). They do not have any ZL1's. this would all be free of charge and I can ask for a gas card on the request form as well.

Should anything happen to my car during testing or while in their possession GM will fix it free of charge or provide a replacement in the event it is unfixable. If I drive it down there it would never be on any public roads and the only time it would be driven would be when it is pulled into the complex to go for testing.

The lady I spoke to did say however that they have sent out letters to more than 200 2020 Camaro owners in both MI and CA and I'm only like the third person that has called. They have not gotten any forms returned to them yet for the 2020's. I told her that's because 500.00 is an laughable price to have the car for a whole month. She said this is a common issue when they want to test more expensive cars and eventually they have to up their offer and offer more incentives to get people to do it. GM is required to do this testing on cars with varying mileage so from the sounds of it eventually you could bend them over a barrel with you requests if you wait long enough and they don't get enough responses.

I am not going to do this but I figured you guys might be interested in their response.
If I was even going to think about it it would be a C8 rental 1K and free gas. I may send in the form just for kicks and giggles.
Holy cow, they must really be hard up for these cars and few takers if they're even remotely serious about loaning you a C8 with a gas card!! I was only kinda joking thinking they'd never do it and laugh at you as they hang up the phone..... but dayum!!! Well done!
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #45
Minerbros66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Holy cow, they must really be hard up for these cars and few takers if they're even remotely serious about loaning you a C8 with a gas card!! I was only kinda joking thinking they'd never do it and laugh at you as they hang up the phone..... but dayum!!! Well done!
It was kinda funny as soon as I gave her the Vin and the invitation code you could hear it in her voice like holy crap someone called?!?!?! lol
Old 04-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #46
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerbros66 View Post
It was kinda funny as soon as I gave her the Vin and the invitation code you could hear it in her voice like holy crap someone called?!?!?! lol
ATDS are likely contracted for ALL makes and models for GM (and other OEMs). You can request it, but you're likely not getting a C8 (or ZL1 for that matter). They will cast a wider net and possibly bump the compensation up a bit and will get takers. They do this for cars much more expensive (and lower volume) than SS Camaros.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #47
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
A 2SS would have been fair for me, plus $1200.

The C8 would be fun to push for, but yeah realistically you won't get one, considering the current demand.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #48
Minerbros66

Yeah I doubt I will get one but I'm not gonna do it otherwise... who knows maybe they will get desperate lol.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #49
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Yep, you don't have anything to lose so it's either take it or leave it. That's why I agree with Petrol Head that people should push the offer just to see what happens.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #50
BlakeR
😁😁😁😁😁

Drives: 1ss
just dug my letter outta the recycle bin after reading this. Wrote in offer of 1,000 plus rental of camaro zl1, c8 or ct5-v. I actually kind of like the idea of not driving my ss through a construction zone to work everyday for a month, now that I know that they're not actually driving it on public roads. Also wrote it has to be May. After that, is prime cruising season around here.
I'll turn down anything less.
BlakeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:41 PM   #51
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeR View Post
just dug my letter outta the recycle bin after reading this. Wrote in offer of 1,000 plus rental of camaro zl1, c8 or ct5-v. I actually kind of like the idea of not driving my ss through a construction zone to work everyday for a month, now that I know that they're not actually driving it on public roads. Also wrote it has to be May. After that, is prime cruising season around here.
I'll turn down anything less.
Ooooh don’t just ask for the CT5-V, ask for the CT5-V Blackwing
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #52
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Junk mail. Screw them. I wouldnt let anyone drive my car. Could not care less what they are trying to test.
I wouldnt loan them a hammer.
I wont even allow them to change my oil.
They have unsold Camaros sitting on dealers lots. If theres no risk they should drive their own cars.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:14 PM   #53
Dathomas94

Drives: Camaro 2021 ZL1 6 speed ragtop
Those are con men they are going to steel your car.. your telling me GM does not have demos or exec cars or cars they buy crack. Shit your load is more than 500.
Dathomas94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:20 PM   #54
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Junk mail. Screw them. I wouldnt let anyone drive my car. Could not care less what they are trying to test.
I wouldnt loan them a hammer.
I wont even allow them to change my oil.
They have unsold Camaros sitting on dealers lots. If theres no risk they should drive their own cars.
GM has nothing to do with this requirement - it's the EPA & ARB regulation that requires OEMs to reach out to customers (in this case ATDS is contracted to mail letters to owners) with vehicles that have been in use for a certain # of years and within specific mileage range in order to test them on chassis dyno cycles and measure tailpipe emissions. They are not allowed to use company owned cars for this. As previously mentioned only folks in MI or CA would receive letters (typically within a certain distance from the test site).

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote