Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 03-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #1
Jarek

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
[OPEN] Fender liner tear fix - suggestions needed

Hello,

I have checked the forum for a similar topic and have't found any (if there is one, admins please move this post there).

People are rather focusing how to make liners more durable/resistant to possible damage but are there any tricks to actually fix the tear in the liner? Anybody attempted that?
I know that having it replaced is the surest fix but being outside of US makes parts availability limited and price considerable.

BR,
Jarek

Last edited by Jarek; 09-03-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Jarek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
Jarek

No feedback so far...
Should I assume that nobody attempted to fix such tear? Or was it without any success?

BR,
Jarek
Old 03-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
They are only ~$60. I don’t see where anyone would attempt to fix one when a new one is that cheap.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
They are only ~$60. I don’t see where anyone would attempt to fix one when a new one is that cheap.
Shipping to the EU where Jarek is will probably be hundreds, plus taxes, plus import duty, plus excise and whatever else Brussels have devised to fleece them with.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
For a small tear, some epoxy and a heat gun might work, but as parish8 says it's not expensive to do it right. For prevention of recurrence with the new liner, some shaping with a heart gun might be worthwhile.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
Jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Shipping to the EU where Jarek is will probably be hundreds, plus taxes, plus import duty, plus excise and whatever else Brussels have devised to fleece them with.
Exactly my point - I know that this is peanuts in the US (stated that in my 1st post), in PL end price would be around $350 or more...
There are some cheaper replacement parts available but at this point checking what would be price vs quality.
That's why I ask about possibility to fix those

BR,
Jarek
Old 03-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
Jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
For a small tear, some epoxy and a heat gun might work, but as parish8 says it's not expensive to do it right. For prevention of recurrence with the new liner, some shaping with a heart gun might be worthwhile.
In my case the mounts are torn off at the edge and there is a smal tear going inside from the edge.
Attaching some photos.
IMO damage is small in size but in the crucial/sensitive areas - glue may not do the trick due to the fact that mounts are stressed during the ride.

BR,
Jarek
Attached Images

Last edited by Jarek; 03-24-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:01 AM   #8
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
This might sound silly, but I am wondering if it is possible to sew in a square patch of similar material over those damaged spots. Given the stresses these spots take during driving (as you mentioned), it would need to be sewed strongly, but maybe it could work.
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
Jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam765 View Post
This might sound silly, but I am wondering if it is possible to sew in a square patch of similar material over those damaged spots. Given the stresses these spots take during driving (as you mentioned), it would need to be sewed strongly, but maybe it could work.
Good idea. Question is if anyone has ever tried it.

BR,
Jarek
Old 03-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #10
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Silicone is my go to...I’ve repaired /patched all kinds of things with silicone. IE, the area where foot wears the rug, broken bumper clips, broken light fixture clips, cracked underside plastic water shield etc. Some good black RTV silicone / clean up of your material and possibly some small plastic or aluminum strips, siliconed on either side of the fabric (although, one side, the underside, may be fine)
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:14 PM   #11
Jarek

Also nice idea - I have recently good experience with hybrid-polymer glue.
What troubles me the most with glue/silicone approach toward this liner fabric is that under stress the glue may fall-off with part of the material (as glue does not penetrate the fabric only sticks to the surface.

This is where cam765's approach is IMO better as sewing actually gives the connection some strength/durability.

BR,
Jarek
Old 03-25-2021, 04:56 PM   #12
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I don’t think the black RTV silicone will fall off...half my Nissan frontiers integrated bumper clips are siliconed in place...as well well as both broken light fixtures. Had a bit of a front end collision, pulled everything apart and there was more damage on the underside than I thought. An $8 tube, worked like a charm. As far as adhering to the material, as long as it’s rubbed on a relatively clean surface (rough like the liner is even better) it will stick like gangbusters.

Either way, sewing or otherwise... good luck. I get it parts are expensive for you and you want to repair it once..
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #13
Jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I don’t think the black RTV silicone will fall off...half my Nissan frontiers integrated bumper clips are siliconed in place...as well well as both broken light fixtures. Had a bit of a front end collision, pulled everything apart and there was more damage on the underside than I thought. An $8 tube, worked like a charm. As far as adhering to the material, as long as it’s rubbed on a relatively clean surface (rough like the liner is even better) it will stick like gangbusters.
I don't doubt it - my concern is that fabric will fall-apart but maybe it is just a matter of spreading silicone on the greater surface of the fabric to distribute the force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Either way, sewing or otherwise... good luck. I get it parts are expensive for you and you want to repair it once..
Thank you - will update you all on which path was finally chosen - replacement part or the fix (and which fix).

BR,
Jarek

Last edited by Jarek; 03-26-2021 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:03 AM   #14
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek View Post
Hello,

I have checked the forum for a similar topic and have't found any (if there is one, admins please move this post there).

People are rather focusing how to make liners more durable/resistant to possible damage but are there any tricks to actually fix the tear in the liner? Anybody attempted that?
I know that having it replaced is the surest fix but being outside of US makes parts availability limited and price considerable.

BR,
Jarek
Hey Jarek I sent you a PM, get back to me.
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote