Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
chevymaro

Drives: Camaro SS
Long Drive Protection?

I'm leaving for a road trip in 3 days and its about a 600km drive of highway there and back. What products can I use to protect the front? It needs to be something in stores as I probably won't get a product delivered in time. I thought about blue tape, but it looks dumb in my opinion, but its the last resort. Options??
chevymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
//https://www.roadwarriorplus.com/pages/resellers

Road warrior paint protection, there may be a distributor near you. you can also order through Amazon
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsreo View Post
//https://www.roadwarriorplus.com/pages/resellers

Road warrior paint protection, there may be a distributor near you. you can also order through Amazon
Ditto, use it for road racing...it works — unless it rains a good amount...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
i think you can also get that painters tape in spiffy Green as well. painters tape is ok for keeping the bugs and road grime off the front end or to keep the marbles from sticking to your paint at a track day.... but dont think it will stop a rock cause it wont.

Best bet is to drive like you want to protect your front end and leave plenty of room to vehicles in front of you.. ESPECIALLY trucks.

I've had mine on several long road trips with nothing but an extra coat of wax (to help with bug removal) and have not one chip..... i make a game out of finding the spaces in between traffic where i can just cruise with no one in directly in front of me.

Last edited by Racerman27410; 07-22-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:38 AM   #5
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I second the driving technique recommendation. There is little else you can do to avoid inevitable rock chips. It's a car, if you want to drive it on congested highways it will happen eventually. Find lanes where you aren't directly behind someone. Never tailgate.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:21 AM   #6
Baker

Drives: 2010 camaro RS,2017 camaro 1Le
I would order a novistretch just for future use I love mine
Old 07-23-2019, 04:51 AM   #7
trublucamaro

Drives: 1967 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I would order a novistretch just for future use I love mine

Novistretch is a clear winner in bugs and “helping” with other debris, but if the rock is significant, this isn’t going to work.

I have one, and the mirror covers, and I love it. It gets covered in bugs and it goes in the wash. BUT it’s not a catch-all solution, none of the coatings or tape and such are. They all have their pros and cons. Driving technique and how close your willing to drive behind something else is key, even WITH a coating.

“Life begins at full throttle” ~ dude with a fast car...
trublucamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:50 AM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Novistretch, trac wrap, roadwarrior plus, trakk tape, trackarmor, etc. all will stop small rock chips, bugs, etc. Same day/next day delivery to VCBC shouldn't be an issue. Sure you can use some low-tack painter's tape, but it'll take quite a while to cover the nose of the car 2" at a time. The wider purpose-made films won't be as pretty, but won't take as long. Roadwarrior plus is unique in this group: a liquid that rolls on and forms a film when it dries.

Wish I had some temp film when I brought The Mistress home. Almost entirely on 2 lane roads after hours so fortunately not a lot of trucks. But after 160 evening drive miles she was covered with bugs. Turtle wax bug and tar remover quickly took care of it.

If I was going on a long drive I would certainly carry a bottle of TWBATR with me.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #9
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Any long trip I typically wax the front of the car (or the entire car) and always bring what I call a "bug bucket" with a clean soft cotton wipe cloth. Every day at the end of the day I fill the bug bucket with clean water and clean off the front end, rear view mirrors and wind shield with the cloth. That way the bugs don't stay on too long and discolor the paint.

Second option I would consider is the Novistretch bra but have been using the bug bucket approach for years. It doesn't stop the rick chips though and I will touch any up with matching paint after the trip.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #10
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
THIS ^^^
Keep in mind that the bugs are damaging when the guts turn to acid after several hours. Hot sunlight accelerates the process, while driving in the rain improves the situation. Cleaning the guts whenever you stop will be fine if you wax the hell out of the front end. No need to ugly up your car with blue tape.

Last edited by LT4; 07-23-2019 at 08:19 AM.
LT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
You could also overnight some expel from Amazon to do the front end.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #12
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
You could also overnight some expel from Amazon to do the front end.
And quickly roll it into a ball and throw it in the trash. My Expel installer had to take his time due to the complex angles of the front end.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #13
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymaro View Post
I'm leaving for a road trip in 3 days and its about a 600km drive of highway there and back. What products can I use to protect the front? It needs to be something in stores as I probably won't get a product delivered in time. I thought about blue tape, but it looks dumb in my opinion, but its the last resort. Options??

I used road warrior on my last road trip to Kelowna. Worked great and the car looked like it never went on a trip at all. Just follow the usual advice of staying away from trucks and other vehicle and keep your own little bubble to protect yourself. Alternatively you can also be the pace car and just be ahead of everyone :P
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #14
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
And quickly roll it into a ball and throw it in the trash. My Expel installer had to take his time due to the complex angles of the front end.
Agreed. i was quoted $475 just for front end, which was equal to both fenders combined. The angles are what cost all the work.