Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 02-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
00 Z/28

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Give me some info about Atlanta

I may be moving from Baltimore to Atlanta this coming Summer/Fall as my better half just got accepted to Emory for grad school. Looking for any input our ATL locals can give. My only knowledge comes from a couple weekends down there last summer.

What are some good neighborhoods in that east part of town around Emory that we should be looking in?(Decatur?) Tell me about car laws- inspection/emissions/registration/modification laws? Anything else someone new to Georgia should know? How are taxes?

If it helps to know, we're both in our mid-20s, no kids, middle-class background.

-Thanks guys!
Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
SFC_Bennett

Drives: 2010 2SS
I live OTP (outside the perimeter) but I can tell you that you WILL have to have emissions each year unless you keep your Maryland plates. I can't offer anything in the way of East ATL but I can tell you to stay off the South side.
SFC_Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
00 Z/28

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Thanks. Is emissions down there an actual smog test or just a plug in and scan test?

And I would much prefer to be outside 285, but I don't know if she'll go for that haha. I stayed in Dunwoody when I was in town last year and it was pretty nice, but it also seems to be pricey.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #4
SFC_Bennett

Drives: 2010 2SS
Some shops will just see if your CEL is on and ask if you have cats. Others will actually stick a probe in your tail pipe (not as fun as it sounds). I've never had an issue. Also, the 3 most recent model years and cars over 20 years old (I think it's 20) are exempt.
SFC_Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
onegoofydad

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
I live in Newnan, from here to Emory university its about 45 miles. Newnan is a safe area, Plenty to do, 30 minutes to the airport from here. Housing is much cheaper here than most of the Metro areas. Well relative to say Dunwoody. Peachtree City a neighboring community is also very nice, its completely connected with Golf Cart paths as well. So you can get around on a cart which is neat.

If I was to move closer to Atlanta, I'd move to downtown get a Loft and walk to most everything. Personal opinion though
Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
cowpunk

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE M6
I live in Lilburn / Mountain Park area...7 miles OTP east on HWY 78

Midtown / Virginia Highlands is pricey and cramped...you will be required to grow a beard and carry a dirty book-bag.

Decatur is "I'm with HER"

Traffic congestion will be everywhere...sorry

Wolf Pen Gap Road / Blood Mountain: 2 hours away

Blue-Ridge / Ellijay: 2 hours away

Vengeance Racing - Cumming
MTI Racing - Marietta
Spartan - Lawrenceville / Auburn
Summit Store - McDonough

Macon - 2 hours away...visit in August if you want to sample the hot fire's of Hell!!!

Thanks
Cowpunk
cowpunk is offline   Reply With Quote