Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #1
Frenchboy

Drives: 2018 Camaro
Back right tire drift

Hello,
I would like to know why a propulsion accelerates more on the back right tire? I thought the torque engages both back tires right and left. Thanks for your answers.
Frenchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchboy View Post
Hello,
I would like to know why a propulsion accelerates more on the back right tire? I thought the torque engages both back tires right and left. Thanks for your answers.
I have very limited knowledge on the Rear Axles on these cars, but is yours a T4, V6 or V8?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
Frenchboy

4 cylinders
Old 02-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Is traction control on or off? That’s the only thing I can think of that might cause that issue. But I have very limited knowledge in this area.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
4 cylinders
Manual or automatic?

The manual has a limited slip differential, but the auto is open, so when one wheel breaks loose, it continues to spin while the other wheel gets no torque.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #6
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
The motor torque tries to "spin" the car body. So the left front side pulls up and the right side drops.

On the back, this puts extra pressure on the right tire and unloads the left.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
The motor torque tries to "spin" the car body. So the left front side pulls up and the right side drops.

On the back, this puts extra pressure on the right tire and unloads the left.
You got the last part backwards. It unloads the right and puts extra pressure on the left.

The motor does try and lift the left front, but the rotational torque of the drive shaft spins the rear axle in the opposite direction, pushing the left side down and lifting the right side up.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
Frenchboy

thanks for your answers but i still does not understand.
i have a manual gear but whatever the gear if i m on 1st 2nd or 3rd, if a accelerate straight, i feel the back right tire spinning more. so i have the feeling the propulsion comes from this tire only. normally it should engage both tires at equal forces back left and back right tires no? did u also experience this feeling?
Old 02-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #9
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
thanks for your answers but i still does not understand.
i have a manual gear but whatever the gear if i m on 1st 2nd or 3rd, if a accelerate straight, i feel the back right tire spinning more. so i have the feeling the propulsion comes from this tire only. normally it should engage both tires at equal forces back left and back right tires no? did u also experience this feeling?
An open differential or malfunctioning LSD is the only thing I can think of. An easy test.

"The easiest way to tell if you have an open differential is to jack up the car and spin one of the rear tires. If the other wheel spins in the opposite direction, you have an open differential. If it spins in the same direction, you have a limited slip differential, or LSD." https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html

Old 02-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #10
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
An open differential or malfunctioning LSD is the only thing I can think of. An easy test.

"The easiest way to tell if you have an open differential is to jack up the car and spin one of the rear tires. If the other wheel spins in the opposite direction, you have an open differential. If it spins in the same direction, you have a limited slip differential, or LSD." https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...htmlstory.html

Basically this. My original suspicion was an open end diff but wasn't sure if any model of these cars came with them.... oh and make sure the trans is in nuetral before trying to spin the wheel.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote