Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #603
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange devil View Post
Looks like the mid engine survived on this one.
So much for lane assist.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #604
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I certainly have and I own probably the best one on the market today - Porsche PDK. I'm not complaining about it - it's a great automatic. But it's not a manual with a clutch and that's what I prefer. The biggest issue for me is drivers engagement. And a not insignificant issue for me is the complexity and cost of replacing one or even just when the clutches wear out - which you have little control over as a driver btw, unlike a manual - and the cost of the units themselves which often are not serviceable. The PDK in the Porsche is $15K. Compare that to a new T56 which is 25% of that and is far less likely to fail too.

Those are the two factors for me. Actually driving a car with a PDK is perfectly fine and I enjoy it for my sedan, although most previous sedan's I have owned were manual (M5, M3, CTSV, S4, Evo). But I don't really want that in a sports car and especially one that I would want to own long term like a Corvette because that's always going to be a potential major repair cost item down the road. And Especially if you are tracking the car and driving it hard on a regular basis. That's the aspect I am most concerned about with a DCT to be honest.
The C8 will be a disposable car like many others nowadays.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #605
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange devil View Post
Looks like the mid engine survived on this one.
thatll buff right out...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #606
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
DCTs are less reliability in general, and DCT is an expensive gearbox.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:19 PM   #607
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I do find it interesting that some are so willing to "be engaged" in driving that they will take a lesser performing car to do it.
People have always had their own individual reasons for intentionally choosing the lesser performing car.

People bought small-blocks when big-blocks were also available in the same model.

Back when automatics were the slower transmission choice, people still bought them. Even enthusiasts did. It at least used to be that automatics had their own class ladder at the strip (those /SA classes, vs just /S for the stick shift cars), so that the automatic guys weren't shut out of the trophies the moment they drove through the gate.

Quote:
DCT is the best of both worlds for performance, you just lose the level of physical inputs other than the paddles.
I've said it before that if I was seriously competing for top position at time trialing or wheel-to-wheel racing, and a DCT was what it was going to take to win, sooner or later that's what I'd probably end up with. But as a street and occasional HPDE driver the value of a DCT drops back to being just the bragging rights. If I was a street/strip guy instead, I might feel somewhat differently, though "bragging rights" is still an attribute that lacks substance.

Quote:
Now here is some "driver engagement". Enjoy.

https://jalopnik.com/a-video-reminde...ell-1837285226
They're better road course drivers than most people give them credit for being. Even down at the K&N series level.

The road races are the only NASCAR races that I bother to watch any more. The Dales, Sr and Jr, put up better than decent showings at Daytona in the yellow #3 Corvette, and Sr was reported to have thoroughly enjoyed his stints at the 24 hours.

Norm
Old 08-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #608
camarossb

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I would love to test drive it!
camarossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #609
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
It is very apparent to me that the C8, driven by a high heeled admin assistant will destroy my car at any street fight. That is more than "bragging rights", it is a downright $ss wooping.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #610
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Norm Peterson 2020!!!
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #611
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
It is very apparent to me that the C8, driven by a high heeled admin assistant will destroy my car at any street fight. That is more than "bragging rights", it is a downright $ss wooping.
So if the prospect of getting your @ss whooped by a C8 bothers you that much, maybe don't pick a street fight with one. Even if the C8 had a slow-shifting conventional 3-pedal MT, it's going to beat you out of the hole on rear weight %/acceleration traction anyway.

Norm
Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #612
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Just saying it is more than bragging rights.. it is REAL WORLD PERFORMANCE.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #613
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Potential performance . . . it's only real performance when you're using every last bit of it.

Your SS didn't get any slower because the C8 has DSG, did it?

Norm
Old 08-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #614
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
say what you want about the slow shifting manuals and speak for yourselves. a new transmission + NLS makes for a damn fast shift when you’re trying to get shit done. i don’t think the gains all come from automatics shifting so much better as much as the 8-10 speed trans offer better avg power from start to stop (1/4 mi). i don’t lose an inch to automatics in cars that are even with mine from a roll. put me next to another manual car and and i’ll drive around a faster one until the 4th gear battle of hp goes down, then the car will only do what it can do.

yes, i’ll take a lesser performing car in the knowledge that any and all results of a race of any kind is all on me. as clutch use and manual gear selection is far more engaging than any other form of “driving” - if one does not already grasp this concept, it clearly cannot be explained. you either get it, or you don’t.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #615
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i am not knocking autos, i think they certainly have their place and obviously the new ones are badass. i’m not discounting anyone wanting an auto. but i can certainly see people not buying a c8 bc it does not have a clutch pedal. i’m one of those people. i’d drive it at the track way too little to enjoy the auto. i feel there is already a huge disconnect between the car and driver now with dual disc hydraulic clutches and drive by wire accelerators. once again, if i have to explain this one - you won’t get it anyway.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #616
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
say what you want about the slow shifting manuals and speak for yourselves. a new transmission + NLS makes for a damn fast shift when you’re trying to get shit done. i don’t think the gains all come from automatics shifting so much better as much as the 8-10 speed trans offer better avg power from start to stop (1/4 mi). i don’t lose an inch to automatics in cars that are even with mine from a roll. put me next to another manual car and and i’ll drive around a faster one until the 4th gear battle of hp goes down, then the car will only do what it can do.

yes, i’ll take a lesser performing car in the knowledge that any and all results of a race of any kind is all on me. as clutch use and manual gear selection is far more engaging than any other form of “driving” - if one does not already grasp this concept, it clearly cannot be explained. you either get it, or you don’t.
A manual cant compare to an auto, we’ve seen over and over and over again here. You’re gonna break things trying to keep up and you’ll not beat one. All these 1LE owners with horrific times, most can’t even run low 12s
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote