Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
DSX Baro Breakout Harness - Centrifugal

So I am in the middle of putting a ECS / Novi 1500 on my 1LE, and my tuner informed me to buy a DSX Baro Breakout Harness that has an additional IAT sensor and a LSA MAP sensor

That being said - I am curious about the function of the harness. Is it there to run two MAP sensors (one in the intake & one atmosphere)?

The other question is - where should I mount the IAT sensor?

Anyone running one of these?
Old 12-18-2018, 03:45 AM   #2
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
So I am in the middle of putting a ECS / Novi 1500 on my 1LE, and my tuner informed me to buy a DSX Baro Breakout Harness that has an additional IAT sensor and a LSA MAP sensor

That being said - I am curious about the function of the harness. Is it there to run two MAP sensors (one in the intake & one atmosphere)?

The other question is - where should I mount the IAT sensor?

Anyone running one of these?
I have the baro breakout only harness, and it adds a second MAP sensor out in the atmosphere. This gives a true baro reading, which makes the math easier.

The separate IAT sensor, it seems that people put them in the intake manifold, behind the throttle body. The reason they do this seems to be, that they are using methanol injection, and this way, the IAT sensor sees a cooler temp from the methanol.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:24 AM   #3
DorkMissile

wnta1ss - thanks for the feedback

where is the 1bar MAP located at on your engine? Just out of curiosity?
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I thought the temp was moved because the PD setup has the temp pickup after the rotors? The centri people have it after the intercooler but before the TB in the MAF i.e. the stock LT1 location.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:37 AM   #5
wnta1ss

Quote:
where is the 1bar MAP located at on your engine? Just out of curiosity?
Had it tied to the bundle on the driver's side of the engine, nipple pointed down, nipple in open air.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:42 AM   #6
Jfmoore79

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Had it tied to the bundle on the driver's side of the engine, nipple pointed down, nipple in open air.
Is that the typical installation per DSX? Am I correct to assume that in a forced induction scenario the LT1 map sensor is removed from factory location and replaced with a 3 bar version that is installed in the intake tract. Then the baro breakout harness simply installs inline with the 3 bar sensor?

I will installing a P1X this week and just received my harness but did not see any instructions.
Jfmoore79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #7
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfmoore79 View Post
Is that the typical installation per DSX? Am I correct to assume that in a forced induction scenario the LT1 map sensor is removed from factory location and replaced with a 3 bar version that is installed in the intake tract. Then the baro breakout harness simply installs inline with the 3 bar sensor?

I will installing a P1X this week and just received my harness but did not see any instructions.
Mine did not have instructions either. The breakout harness does not hook up to the MAP sensor that's in the intake manifold. It plugs into the harness where the MAF plugs in, because the factory setup gets the barometer reading from the MAF sensor.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #8
Jfmoore79

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS A8
Thanks, I was obviously confused. Does the new sensor still simply hang from the harness or is there a good way to mount it?
Jfmoore79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 AM   #9
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfmoore79 View Post
Thanks, I was obviously confused. Does the new sensor still simply hang from the harness or is there a good way to mount it?
I did not see a good way to mount it, so had zip-tied it to the wiring bundle on the driver's side of the engine and made sure the nipple was open to the air, not resting against anything.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #10
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
did you all ever figure this out? or have complaints about this setup? pictures? i'm about to install
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #11
DorkMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
did you all ever figure this out? or have complaints about this setup? pictures? i'm about to install
I would consider it to be critical if you want to get as good of performance out of a s/c setup. As the way my tuner described it, the ECU is estimating the ambient air pressure without it. With it, the ECU now sees the actual air pressure.

I mounted it close to the air filter on my s/c (within a couple of inches) and if you log it, you can see the ambient air pressure rise as the speed in the car rises (about .7-.8lbs). That is something they can't "cheat" in on the tune.

Given the price and how easy it is to install, I dont see why anyone would not do it.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:04 AM   #12
wnta1ss

Quote:
I would consider it to be critical if you want to get as good of performance out of a s/c setup. As the way my tuner described it, the ECU is estimating the ambient air pressure without it. With it, the ECU now sees the actual air pressure.

I mounted it close to the air filter on my s/c (within a couple of inches) and if you log it, you can see the ambient air pressure rise as the speed in the car rises (about .7-.8lbs). That is something they can't "cheat" in on the tune.
That rise in baro reading as speed increases while using this kit looks strange to me. As you know, I had a Paxton 1500SL on my SS, and ran it both the way the kit comes, and also with the DSX baro breakout. With the baro reading coming from the MAF (way the kit comes) I did see some variance in the baro readings. But with the DSX baro breakout installed, I saw that the baro reading stayed steady. I just checked a log with the baro breakout on a dragstrip run that trapped 125mph, and reached 127mph before lifting. Baro reading stayed the same for the whole run from 0mph to 127mph. My MAP sensor that was being used for baro was tied to the wiring harness on the driver's side of the engine (next to intake manifold), as you know, the DSX does not have long wires so it must be mounted near the plug on the driver's side of the engine.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #13
DorkMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
That rise in baro reading as speed increases while using this kit looks strange to me. As you know, I had a Paxton 1500SL on my SS, and ran it both the way the kit comes, and also with the DSX baro breakout. With the baro reading coming from the MAF (way the kit comes) I did see some variance in the baro readings. But with the DSX baro breakout installed, I saw that the baro reading stayed steady. I just checked a log with the baro breakout on a dragstrip run that trapped 125mph, and reached 127mph before lifting. Baro reading stayed the same for the whole run from 0mph to 127mph. My MAP sensor that was being used for baro was tied to the wiring harness on the driver's side of the engine (next to intake manifold), as you know, the DSX does not have long wires so it must be mounted near the plug on the driver's side of the engine.
I would ask you to verify that you are actually monitoring the correct Baro sensor (the added one, or the backfired data from the MAF)

On my car I am using a Banks iGauge, and it shows me both sensors to monitor, and when looking at both, you could see the delta change (both would show the same pressure at idle and low speed, but would deviate farther and farther the faster it went, up until about 100mph where it stopped climbing.

I think it is just an area of high pressure located under the hood. With the ECS kit you take all of the rubber & plastic trim out from around the radiator, core support, headlights and such so I think this could induce a lot more air under the hood than normal.

It was known with Cup cars that there was substantial positive air pressure at the base of the windshield, hence why they have their air intakes up on the cowl.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #14
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Here is the reasoning for breaking the Baro out of the MAF and or also the IAT.

If you want to be able to see what boost you are making you want to change the intake manifold (IM) map out from a 2 bar to a 3 bar map sensor. With that the MAF also has a MAP in it in the form of a barometric pressure sensor. The ECM uses the Baro sensor to determine the outside relative barometric pressure.

Using the DSX Baro or Baro/IAT breaking allows the ECM to now see the Barometric pressure from outside the MAF and the charge tube while using the 3 bar map in the IM to see the actual boosted pressure after the MAF.

The benefit of moving the IAT out of the MAF is you can relocate it to after the meth injection and be able to see the actual temps after the meth injection has been ran.

If you do this, and this is something I just learned last night (huge thanks to DSX Tuning for helping me out this by the way) you will need to fix the IAT2 table in the ECM programming. This part is super easy to do if you are using HP Tuners, if not you will need your tuner to do this.

Go to the HPT tune repository and find and download a stock OEM 2013 Cadillac CTS-V (gen 2) tune. I found one for a M6 in there last night. Copy the IAT2 table from that tune and put it into your IAT2 table, save the tune and then flash it.

If you breakout the IAT using the DSX Baro/IAT breakout this will do a couple of things for you. The Baro breakout moves the ambient temp sensor out of the MAF and into the engine bay. The Baro sensor handles the Barometric pressure reading and the ambient temperature as well. The infotainment system gets its ambient temperature reading from the sensor in the nose mounted to the radiator core support.

By copying the CTS-V2 IAT2 table into your table you can now log "Ambient temperature" and "IAT temperature" and be able to see the actual outside air temps the ECM is seeing via the IAT2 (Baro sensor) and the IAT temps the engine is seeing. This doesnt do anything for the fueling at all, but the IAT temps do have a timing modifier table they reference that can affect timing depending on how your tuner has modified the IAT table.

I hope this helps you all out. It has been a nice learning curve playing with these sensors and getting the actual data. Since I moved my IAT into the IM I can now see what the ambient temps are while driving. So now I can see how far off the intercooler is from ambient temps, I can see how my IAT looks while at boost before the meth injection kicks in and after the meth injection kicks in. Now I can see how the IAT timing table is working as well and use that table to make adjustments accordingly.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote