Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 02-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
justa_camaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro 3.6L
Borla axle back exhaust warranty issue

Hello,

So I have a 2017 v6 Camaro, and I have the borla atak axle back only exhaust installed (previously had stock npp). So I heard a rattle from my exhaust, and Chevy said something to do with resonator. They explicitly said it is not because of the axle-back.

To fix it, they said my factory warranty is voided in regards to exhaust, and they cannot warranty it. Their reason is because to fix the resonator, they must buy the whole factory exhaust (they cannot just order a resonator). They cannot warranty it because my stock exhaust was cut (which is only way to install axle back). So do you guys think that is fair? They should not void my warranty if they know the issue is not from the axle-back.

Lastly, lets say worse comes to worse and they will not fix it. A cheaper resolution is for me to take it to a local shop and just delete the resonator only. Do you guys think it will sound good still, if only thing is the borla atak axle back with resonator delete (i will keep secondary cats). Do not want my exhaust sounding much different than where its at now with the axle back.

Thanks
justa_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:57 AM   #2
Cechk01

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
that the way it is. you modify stuff its not covered under warranty. You should be happy they didn't illegally void the entire warranty
Cechk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hi. Sorry to hear of your problem. Unfortunately the dealer has a point. Whether it is fair or not doesn't matter. That is why you wait until warranty is up before you do modifications such as yours. Now about your rattle. I believe it is either a shield that is loose or part of your exhaust is touching the under carriage, causing the noise. There isn't really anything inside a resonater to create your noise. Look closer and check, I bet you find the issue. Also, you mentioned you replaced an NPP exhaust. Wondering if the valves from your old system could be the cause. Depending on their location and whether they were removed with the old exhaust. Also, I do believe that removing your resonater all together will change your exhaust note. It will make it louder and not as refined. A resonater's job is to help quiet the exhaust, just not as much as a muffler.

Last edited by Jb54; 02-11-2020 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Wanted to add to reply
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Good points above. I agree that it seems odd that they would identify the resonator as the source of the sound. The heat shield or NPP valves seem like a more likely cause.

The NPP valves on the V6 A8 cars are spring-loaded valves located between the resonator and muffler and wouldn't typically be replaced for an axle-back muffler. You could use a piece of wire to hold the valve open during a test drive to see if the rattle goes away.

The V6 tends to drone without the resonator. Worst case there are a few companies that make an aftermarket resonator for your car.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:00 PM   #5
justa_camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Good points above. I agree that it seems odd that they would identify the resonator as the source of the sound. The heat shield or NPP valves seem like a more likely cause.

The NPP valves on the V6 A8 cars are spring-loaded valves located between the resonator and muffler and wouldn't typically be replaced for an axle-back muffler. You could use a piece of wire to hold the valve open during a test drive to see if the rattle goes away.

The V6 tends to drone without the resonator. Worst case there are a few companies that make an aftermarket resonator for your car.
Hey do you have a link to some aftermarket resonators that would fit my car, thanks
Old 02-11-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa_camaro View Post
Hello,

So I have a 2017 v6 Camaro, and I have the borla atak axle back only exhaust installed (previously had stock npp). So I heard a rattle from my exhaust, and Chevy said something to do with resonator. They explicitly said it is not because of the axle-back.

To fix it, they said my factory warranty is voided in regards to exhaust, and they cannot warranty it. Their reason is because to fix the resonator, they must buy the whole factory exhaust (they cannot just order a resonator). They cannot warranty it because my stock exhaust was cut (which is only way to install axle back). So do you guys think that is fair? They should not void my warranty if they know the issue is not from the axle-back.

Lastly, lets say worse comes to worse and they will not fix it. A cheaper resolution is for me to take it to a local shop and just delete the resonator only. Do you guys think it will sound good still, if only thing is the borla atak axle back with resonator delete (i will keep secondary cats). Do not want my exhaust sounding much different than where its at now with the axle back.

Thanks
Do you have your original exhaust?
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
justa_camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Do you have your original exhaust?
Yes, but even if I weld it back on, they said my factory exhaust has been modified.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks

At the end of the day, GM will do what GM wants to do when it comes to covering a warranty claim. I went through a nightmare with my 2012 Duramax over a emmissions issue that the dealer was trying to link back to my S&B CAI. I got the claim covered but fought like a mfer to do it. Do I think its fair that GM voided your claim over the axleback, of course not but if you modify ANYTHING on the car, then they can always put a spin on it. I have a 19ZL /LE that Im chomping at the bit to start tinkering with but, I have a bad taste in my mouth over my truck so, if I decide to do anything it will be a mod I can remove before I take the vehicle back in for a claim. Possibly a CAI or maybe a catback similar to a AWE or SWorks that bolt up instead of cutting.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
keystonemedical

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
At the end of the day, GM will do what GM wants to do when it comes to covering a warranty claim. I went through a nightmare with my 2012 Duramax over a emmissions issue that the dealer was trying to link back to my S&B CAI. I got the claim covered but fought like a mfer to do it. Do I think its fair that GM voided your claim over the axleback, of course not but if you modify ANYTHING on the car, then they can always put a spin on it. I have a 19ZL /LE that Im chomping at the bit to start tinkering with but, I have a bad taste in my mouth over my truck so, if I decide to do anything it will be a mod I can remove before I take the vehicle back in for a claim. Possibly a CAI or maybe a catback similar to a AWE or SWorks that bolt up instead of cutting.

A quick follow up. I was told by my dealer that if I would have removed the CAI before I brought the truck in for the CEL that they would of had to cover the claim. Even if there was a code showing that the air flow was altered in some way, they still couldnt prove that there was a CAI on the truck. So, that being said, whatever modding I would intend to do, if any, I would make sure it was bolt on mods and they werent on the car when it arrived for the service.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:32 PM   #10
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Quote:
Yes, but even if I weld it back on, they said my factory exhaust has been modified.
Really! I have noticed from reading the forums that some dealerships can be very difficult to deal with. Sounds like you might have to try another dealership and hope that they will help you out, good luck.
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #11
keystonemedical

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Really! I have noticed from reading the forums that some dealerships can be very difficult to deal with. Sounds like you might have to try another dealership and hope that they will help you out, good luck.

I think unfortunately the OP might be in a jam now if he tried another dealer. Im sure the initial dealer logged all his info and the attempted warranty claim into the GM warranty claim software. Odds are it will show up that he attempted to file the claim and what the refusal was for. I could be wrong though. I guess that would be the easiest thing for the OP to try do at this point.