Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
joecamaro6

Drives: Camaro 2016 SS / Summit White
Camaro won't start with a new battery

Camaro SS 16

Hi guys, I tried to find if anyone asked the same question but I couldn't find it.

So my car battery was dead (didn't drive for like 3-4 weeks), I had my friend to jump-started my car and I let it idle for 15 min then I shut off and the engine never starts again. (Btw, I didn't know I suppose not to do that, people say this action can possibly ruin the alternator). I took the dead battery out, Autozone tested and proves the battery doesn't hold the charge, so I bought a new battery. I installed the new battery then the car doesn't start, the trunk light was on but headlights and everything else wasn't. Any ideas what's going on?
Is my alternator is dead? or something else?

Thanks
joecamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Check voltage on new battery. Hopefully they sent you home w battery with + - in right orientation.. even though terminals now are slightly different size.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Did you charge the new battery, and as said did you make sure the +/- are in the right spots?

The Camaro's OEM battery is a AGM rated for in car use, that means it has an external vent tube that has to be hooked up as well.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Try supplementing with power from another vehicle to the battery. It is possible AutoZone sold you a battery that wasn't fully charged. If it starts, your battery is the issue.

What happens when you try to start? Do you hear rapid clicking? Also does the gauge cluster light up and the radio work and interior lights?
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
joecamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam765 View Post
Try supplementing with power from another vehicle to the battery. It is possible AutoZone sold you a battery that wasn't fully charged. If it starts, your battery is the issue.

What happens when you try to start? Do you hear rapid clicking? Also does the gauge cluster light up and the radio work and interior lights?

I heard 0.5 sec of some kind of sound but nothing else. The headlights/tail lights were on either.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:18 PM   #6
joecamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Did you charge the new battery, and as said did you make sure the +/- are in the right spots?

The Camaro's OEM battery is a AGM rated for in car use, that means it has an external vent tube that has to be hooked up as well.
I did not, maybe I should. Yes, the +/- are correct location.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #7
joecamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Check voltage on new battery. Hopefully they sent you home w battery with + - in right orientation.. even though terminals now are slightly different size.
Thank you, it's my first time. I didn't know I need to charge the new battery. I will try that today and give you guys updates.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #8
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecamaro6 View Post
Thank you, it's my first time. I didn't know I need to charge the new battery. I will try that today and give you guys updates.
Well, in theory, you shouldn't have to charge a new battery. I sell them all day long and we never have to do that. Its possible I guess but certainly not standard procedure to charge a new battery.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
Well, in theory, you shouldn't have to charge a new battery. I sell them all day long and we never have to do that. Its possible I guess but certainly not standard procedure to charge a new battery.
Every battery should be charged, there is no way to tell how long since they was charged after being built nor how much of a charge the factory put on them either.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #10
gmcvt

I've been in parts for a Honda dealer for 20 years. We put them in daily and never do we put them on a charger before they are installed in a car. And asking our local friends at Advance and Autozone, they do not either unless there is a problem. I'm sorry, in all my years in the automotive business, I have never heard of putting every new battery on a charger by default before installing it.

This idea of charging every battery is simply disconnected from the reality of selling them every day. Depending on the volume you sell (and we sell quite a few), it is impractical to have multiple battery chargers in the parts department to charge (??) batteries per day. And it is absolutely impractical to do it on a case by case, on demand basis. Customers (and our superiors) expect to have their battery installed quickly and they sure aren't going to wait around for their new battery to be charged before they leave.

Beyond that, I would reason that it simply isn't necessary. There is always enough charge in the battery to start it easily, any recovery charge that is necessary would fall well in the parameters of the alternators charging protocol. And just to add one more thing, in the battery installation procedures from American Honda for our technicians, nowhere is it stated to charge the battery before installing it in the customers vehicle.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*

Last edited by gmcvt; 02-05-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
I've been in parts for a Honda dealer for 20 years. We put them in daily and never do we put them on a charger before they are installed in a car. And asking our local friends at Advance and Autozone, they do not either unless there is a problem. I'm sorry, in all my years in the automotive business, I have never heard of putting every new battery on a charger by default before installing it.

This idea of charging every battery is simply disconnected from the reality of selling them every day. Depending on the volume you sell (and we sell quite a few), it is impractical to have multiple battery chargers in the parts department to charge (??) batteries per day. And it is absolutely impractical to do it on a case by case, on demand basis. Customers (and our superiors) expect to have their battery installed quickly and they sure aren't going to wait around for their new battery to be charged before they leave.

Beyond that, I would reason that it simply isn't necessary. There is always enough charge in the battery to start it easily, any recovery charge that is necessary would fall well in the parameters of the alternators charging protocol. And just to add one more thing, in the battery installation procedures from American Honda for our technicians, nowhere is it stated to charge the battery before installing it in the customers vehicle.
Really? The last time I was at my local Autozone I noticed that the batteries on the rack were connected to chargers.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #12
gmcvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Really? The last time I was at my local Autozone I noticed that the batteries on the rack were connected to chargers.
Only reporting my 20+ years of experience and our local autozone and advance. Clearly there are some then who do.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #13
GM-ACE
Old school tech

Drives: Ruby 1LE - 2024 2SS 1LE
If you're getting nothing with an new battery, you may have popped a fuse jumping the car. Check the body control module fuse especially.
BTW, in all my 20 years of service, dealer or otherwise, the only reason a new battery needed charging was if it was on the shelf a LONG time.
GM-ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #14
gmcvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-ACE View Post
If you're getting nothing with an new battery, you may have popped a fuse jumping the car. Check the body control module fuse especially.
BTW, in all my 20 years of service, dealer or otherwise, the only reason a new battery needed charging was if it was on the shelf a LONG time.
Agree

Tags
alternator, battery, camaro 16, ss-v8