Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #15
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
He's not wrong. I have a strong opinion about decel pops and if I were his tuner, I wouldn't do it for him but, I think this write-up is a good way to still assist. If it's not needed for the clean functionality of the car, I certainly wouldn't make any adjustments to it. Unless the car came from the factory with excessive popping from the exhaust, then I'd tune that out for myself, personally. But I wouldn't ask my tuner to do it.

I will add that the engine in general idles smoother and accelerates better off idle transition without all the negative minimum spark. That is why after you get a tune the pops disappear. So do you want your engine to pop and fart or run more efficiently?
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #16
Mike Aruba

Drives: 2016 2SS
Mike Aruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #17
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Popping and cracking means fuel is not burning properly and igniting in the exhaust. Over time this will damage the engine. Low spark condition will create soot in the combustion chamber and cause caking on the valves. Your engine your damage.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #18
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Popping and cracking means fuel is not burning properly and igniting in the exhaust. Over time this will damage the engine. Low spark condition will create soot in the combustion chamber and cause caking on the valves. Your engine your damage.
Not necessarily. To get some pops and crackles, you just have to adjust the timing so that the pressure from the fuel ignition isn't all used to perform useful work. The fuel still burns, you just have some positive pressure shoot out of the exhaust valve. This happens on decels only.

Some turbocharged cars like Hyundai Veloster N actually use this idea to provide anti-lag for the turbo so it spools faster. On an NA Camaro, it will just be for aesthetic purposes.

https://youtu.be/64YzCty-27Y

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #19
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post

Back in the carb days yeah, but not today with a stock tune. Nothing getting hurt, manufactured intentional fireworks.

Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:30 AM   #20
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Great write-up geaux_tigerss!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:36 AM   #21
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post

I will add that the engine in general idles smoother and accelerates better off idle transition without all the negative minimum spark. That is why after you get a tune the pops disappear. So do you want your engine to pop and fart or run more efficiently?
Pops and Farts for me!

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:49 PM   #22
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
I asked a local performance shop if they could use the spark map from the 19s provided here to tune my 16. They said they couldn’t BUT they could do a “snap crackle pop” tune that would be similar. However, they had the disclaimer that it could cause premature cat failure and they don’t recommend it. Is the way it’s done from the factory different than what one of these tunes would be? I can’t imagine the ‘19+ cars are just being happily cranked out to have shorter cat life.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:16 PM   #23
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Just a note. when flashing the ecu. After its complete I always go the the scanner and ck for any dtcs set. Sometimes they are, so just clear them. Then push start button, goes out of service mode. Then push it again (no break) wait for 4 chimes then break, push button and start.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:13 AM   #24
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
I asked a local performance shop if they could use the spark map from the 19s provided here to tune my 16. They said they couldn’t BUT they could do a “snap crackle pop” tune that would be similar. However, they had the disclaimer that it could cause premature cat failure and they don’t recommend it. Is the way it’s done from the factory different than what one of these tunes would be? I can’t imagine the ‘19+ cars are just being happily cranked out to have shorter cat life.
I don't think GM would have programmed in the extra snap, crackle and pops at the expense of cat failure, it simply isn't that important...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:17 AM   #25
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
+1 on that write up, one of the best on here!

I understand the negative of pop/bang tunes and wouldn’t want to negatively impact the performance just for it. Though it does make you wonder why GM did it, theoretically the 2019+ are ‘faster’ with the A10 and whatever tune changes they did
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 09:59 AM   #26
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I don't think GM would have programmed in the extra snap, crackle and pops at the expense of cat failure, it simply isn't that important...
Right? It has to be different than what this performance shop said they would do. However, none of the local Chevy dealers will tune it to the 19 for me. It seems like my best course of action is just to keep searching for performance shops that will actually do the 19 map, and not just their own tune, or figure out how to do it myself at some point
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:29 AM   #27
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post

Run more efficiently for me! I am working to get all that 'pop and fart' out now.... the exhaust is crazy loud as it is without that annoying popping...
Buy a rice burner with an aftermarket muffler if you want the attention of all that 'popping and farting'
Old 04-13-2023, 12:29 PM   #28
Fstlane

Drives: 2019 Summit White ZL1
Pops and Farts aside....the information on the compare function in HP Tuners is excellent! Just what I needed!
Fstlane is offline   Reply With Quote