Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-21-2022, 05:17 PM   #15
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
I didn’t think Gm was doing employee pricing right now for anyone?
The program is still active; it is at the dealers discretion whether they offer the program to the customer or not.

As others have mentioned, this matters to the dealer because they are responsible for part of the discount.
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:30 PM   #16
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
I took my employee discount to my salesman. My access was restored and now I get about 6 GMS certificates a year, and 3 employee certificates. I told my salesman that if he can find a way to honor the employee discount, that I go through cars pretty frequently, and can send him a few GMS customers if I know of anyone interested in a Chevy. He said he'll see what he can do, although I don't think he'll honor my GM Employee discount. Damn shame as it's only $5000 off of the Camaro I ordered, but the GMS buyers that I send him could be worth more than $5000 after only one year. Oh well.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:02 AM   #17
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Yes, it is hit or miss right now with dealers. It is at their discretion right now and they do not have to accept GMS or Supplier Pricing prior to, now, or ever the mess the world is in (Covid, chip and auto supply shortages). Like I said before, I have been lucky as my normal two dealers have always taken my GMS. My wife was looking for a new Blazer RS, tired of the boat size Tahoe. Neither of my 2 dealers have even 1 Blazer. Called a dealer about 2 hours away who had one. They said they would only honor GMS because of the trade were they will make $$$$$. Speaking of trades, has anyone done the KBB or dealer wants to buy your car? When you fill out the form and they come back (just an example here) $50,000, do they actually pay the $50,000 assuming your car is as described or do they play games and nickel and dime when you take it in.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:08 AM   #18
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I took my employee discount to my salesman. My access was restored and now I get about 6 GMS certificates a year, and 3 employee certificates. I told my salesman that if he can find a way to honor the employee discount, that I go through cars pretty frequently, and can send him a few GMS customers if I know of anyone interested in a Chevy. He said he'll see what he can do, although I don't think he'll honor my GM Employee discount. Damn shame as it's only $5000 off of the Camaro I ordered, but the GMS buyers that I send him could be worth more than $5000 after only one year. Oh well.
You have to understand though, dealers are selling every car they get in and most of them are at MSRP. Under normal times, what you're proposing would be a great deal for the dealer. Right now, you're essentially saying that you'll be sending him customers that will want a GMS discount when the dealer can sell everything they have at MSRP or above. See why your logic doesn't make sense right now?
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:42 AM   #19

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Just FYI in case you missed this....Getting a discount of any kind is more unlikely than ever...Good luck.

Name:  Chevy Silverado EV Dealer Memo.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  170.0 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:59 AM   #20
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
You have to understand though, dealers are selling every car they get in and most of them are at MSRP. Under normal times, what you're proposing would be a great deal for the dealer. Right now, you're essentially saying that you'll be sending him customers that will want a GMS discount when the dealer can sell everything they have at MSRP or above. See why your logic doesn't make sense right now?

Except you're missing the other part of the equation, if I go through vehicles pretty quickly (I've gone through 6 in the past 3 years) and give them a steady supply of used vehicles that they can mark-up, that's a lot of grey area for them to work with. Case in point, they have a used ZL1 on the lot right now selling for $80K+. They also have a couple of "used" Corvettes on the lot selling for about $100K. Dealerships do understand that they have to work with the manufacturer on new MSRP, but they also understand that their used car pricing is not governed by GM, and this is where my access could be greatly beneficial to them.

Hell the car that I'm looking to trade in, that's probably going to give them a big incentive to sell to me at MSRP. I know that the dealer is really trying to get my car as he's changed his song about my car's availability after I told him I was looking to sell the car privately.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:02 PM   #21
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Just FYI in case you missed this....Getting a discount of any kind is more unlikely than ever...Good luck.

Attachment 1089902

GM really hasn't discounted the high end models like the Corvette and other really popular models in the past. I'm sure the Z06 is going to make dealers act even more unscrupulous than they have in the past, but that's the business model that GM has been ok with for a long time. Do you remember when GM tried to change that culture via Saturn? Whatever became of them? Oh right, it wasn't a profitable business model so GM pulled the plug. You have to figure that maybe Tesla's approach is something that should be studied, although I can understand if GM is perfectly ok with their dealership network as they're essentially the ones bringing in the money.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:13 PM   #22
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
the nomenclature "GMS" is carryover from earlier days. GMS = GM Stock... meaning the person buys from the dealer stock or floor and gets the employee discount.

There 'use to be' another acronym "GMO" = GM Order.... meaning the person places the order and waits for the build AND gets a little better employee discount than GMS.

Those were the days when employees got actual GOOD discounts.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:20 PM   #23
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Quote:
GM really hasn't discounted the high end models like the Corvette and other really popular models in the past. I'm sure the Z06 is going to make dealers act even more unscrupulous than they have in the past, but that's the business model that GM has been ok with for a long time. Do you remember when GM tried to change that culture via Saturn? Whatever became of them? Oh right, it wasn't a profitable business model so GM pulled the plug. You have to figure that maybe Tesla's approach is something that should be studied, although I can understand if GM is perfectly ok with their dealership network as they're essentially the ones bringing in the money.

The last Corvette I bought, a 2019 Grand Sport, I did not even use GMS Employee Pricing. The dealership had 30 plus new Vettes. They were trying to unload them as the C8 was on the way. With the dealer discount, rebate from GM at the time, some dealer bonus cash an my GM Mastercard points I paid way less than employee pricing. And then I sold it last fall for $7000 more than I paid. No GMS on a C8 from the beginning and max GM Mastercard points capped at $1500 on a C8 and Camaro. A shout out to Estero Bay Chevrolet and Roger Dean Chevy. They will not sell over MSRP on anything including C8'S. They just have a 18-24 month turnaround time on a C8. I want to get a ZL1 but do not want to wait 7 or 8 months like I did last year for a 2SS 1LE. I talked to my salesman today and he said they are still honoring GMS.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #24
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckt227 View Post
The last Corvette I bought, a 2019 Grand Sport, I did not even use GMS Employee Pricing. The dealership had 30 plus new Vettes. They were trying to unload them as the C8 was on the way. With the dealer discount, rebate from GM at the time, some dealer bonus cash an my GM Mastercard points I paid way less than employee pricing. And then I sold it last fall for $7000 more than I paid. No GMS on a C8 from the beginning and max GM Mastercard points capped at $1500 on a C8 and Camaro. A shout out to Estero Bay Chevrolet and Roger Dean Chevy. They will not sell over MSRP on anything including C8'S. They just have a 18-24 month turnaround time on a C8. I want to get a ZL1 but do not want to wait 7 or 8 months like I did last year for a 2SS 1LE. I talked to my salesman today and he said they are still honoring GMS.

I'm looking at about a 2 month turnaround for my ZL1. It's already built and hell it's even advertised on the dealership's website. The key is not to order it with any of the items that are currently constrained. I'm ok with paying MSRP as it's a $5000 difference in my GM discount and MSRP. Used ZL1s are going for much higher than MSRP. The one area where I'm not going to yield to the dealership is with my trade-in. They have offered me $3000 less than the next offer I've received. I figure that they think that I don't know that I can still realize the tax benefit if I sell the vehicle outright later on. They claim that I'll only pay the difference in the price of the Camaro and my trade-in, which is true but I'll still pay that difference.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:50 PM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Except you're missing the other part of the equation, if I go through vehicles pretty quickly (I've gone through 6 in the past 3 years) and give them a steady supply of used vehicles that they can mark-up, that's a lot of grey area for them to work with. Case in point, they have a used ZL1 on the lot right now selling for $80K+. They also have a couple of "used" Corvettes on the lot selling for about $100K. Dealerships do understand that they have to work with the manufacturer on new MSRP, but they also understand that their used car pricing is not governed by GM, and this is where my access could be greatly beneficial to them.

Hell the car that I'm looking to trade in, that's probably going to give them a big incentive to sell to me at MSRP. I know that the dealer is really trying to get my car as he's changed his song about my car's availability after I told him I was looking to sell the car privately.
But unless you sign some type of contract with the dealer they only have your PAST history to go on. They can still sell the car on the lot for much more and they still have access to used cars at auction. You aren't really offering the dealer much in your plan and there is no guarantee you keep your current rate.

You are looking at it from your perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
the nomenclature "GMS" is carryover from earlier days. GMS = GM Stock... meaning the person buys from the dealer stock or floor and gets the employee discount.

There 'use to be' another acronym "GMO" = GM Order.... meaning the person places the order and waits for the build AND gets a little better employee discount than GMS.

Those were the days when employees got actual GOOD discounts.
I recall when the cheapest cars were 15% off the car and I think much more on options.

Corvettes used to be so good the employee had to agree to keep it in their name for 2 full years. And back in the day you could buy it at discount and turn it and not lose money after that two years. Best deal was to be a company car driver. You could order your car, make it your company car for a while then buy it a very sweet price. Turn a Corvette on that price every two years and you were doing very well.

Last edited by Number 3; 01-23-2022 at 01:15 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #26
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
But unless you sign some type of contract with the dealer they only have your PAST history to go on. They can still sell the car on the lot for much more and they still have access to used cars at auction. You aren't really offering the dealer much in your plan and there is no guarantee you keep your current rate.

I recall when the cheapest cars were 15% off the car and I think much more on options.

Corvettes used to be so good the employee had to agree to keep it in their name for 2 full years. And back in the day you could buy it at discount and turn it and not lose money after that two years. Best deal was to be a company car driver. You could order your car, make it your company car for a while then buy it a very sweet price. Turn a Corvette on that price every two years and you were doing very well.

They would have to take my word, but I'll be honest if I decide to use the vehicle part time for driving to and from contract job sites, I go through at least one a year. And hell, if I get a decent discount on a new vehicle and can turn around and trade/sell it within a year for close to the same price I see no real downside for either of us. I think ultimately the dealership will have to see me as a long term future customer and not just the next guy that they want instant gratification from. Sadly though, out of the last 4 dealerships that I've worked with only one has seen me as a repeat customer, and I've bought 2 vehicles from them in the past 6 months.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:03 PM   #27
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Yup, they've watered everything down for the employee these days.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #28
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I am 99% sure it was 12 months on my vette. But that was a while ago.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote