Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions


AWE Tuning


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2021, 02:05 PM   #1
Canadian ZL1
 
Canadian ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 313
Track Mode & PTM mode - getting them to work

Can someone confirm when you select 'Track' as the drive mode and then in my case I am selecting 'PTM - Sport 1' you must select ok (center button) for it to save the setting.

My only issue is traction & stability (orange light stays on for both). This isn't right?

Am I doing something wrong to turn on? I have selected PTM - Sport 1. I checked the manual and it evens says the two orange lights will stay on when you select a PTM mode?

Kinda of scary if you ask me because it is suggested both traction and stability are off???
Attached Images
 
__________________
_____________________
'17 ZL1 HBM|A10|NAV|PDR|CFW Hood|Sunroof

Last edited by Canadian ZL1; 09-26-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
JSH

 
JSH's Avatar
 
Drives: '20 ZLE A10
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian ZL1 View Post
Can someone confirm when you select 'Track' as the drive mode and then in my case I am selecting 'PTM - Sport 1' you must select ok (center button) for it to save the setting.

My only issue is traction & stability (orange light stays on for both). This isn't right?

Am I doing something wrong to turn on?
There is a recent, long and very informative thread here on the function of all transmission settings/modes. Search, here you go https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
__________________
HPE 850 + KongX + GT100 = 1050 bhp corrected
1.60/10.56/131 @ 8043 DA (9 runs so far)
3735# w/o driver

On order:
Kong LT4 TVS R2650; LPE BBDI FP; XDI +30
Some previous cars:
2016 GTR
2013 GTR
2011 BMW M3
2006 PS GTO 4-link sportsman race car (6.52/212)
2001 LS1 (9.90 at 8000DA)
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
Canadian ZL1
 
Canadian ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
There is a recent, long and very informative thread here on the function of all transmission settings/modes. Search, here you go https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
Thanks for this...I actually had this saved and printed out already BUT doesn't answer my question per say.

I checked the recording from my PDR and in fact it shows Sport 1 under PTM and Track mode BUT the picture I posted shows the solid orange for Traction and stability???
__________________
_____________________
'17 ZL1 HBM|A10|NAV|PDR|CFW Hood|Sunroof
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #4
Dabjbr
 
Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: NorCal
Posts: 399
You don’t have to press okay. Just up or down to the desired setting. Then it’ll stay in that setting until changed. You can also simply press up or down again and change the PTM on the fly from say sport to race.

I can’t confirm on the dash lights simply because I’m not driving and away from the car.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:45 PM   #5
Canadian ZL1
 
Canadian ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
You don’t have to press okay. Just up or down to the desired setting. Then it’ll stay in that setting until changed. You can also simply press up or down again and change the PTM on the fly from say sport to race.

I can’t confirm on the dash lights simply because I’m not driving and away from the car.
Yes you are correct I don't have to press ok it stays in the selected setting.

I am still curious why the TC and Stability lights stay on dash? The manual says they are supposed to be on but only when PTM mode is selected. Just doesn't make sense to me??
__________________
_____________________
'17 ZL1 HBM|A10|NAV|PDR|CFW Hood|Sunroof
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #6
Vigilante375
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 747
Yes the warning light(s) WILL stay on. It's there to let you know you better not floor the throttle and expect traction control/stability to help.

I can't remember if sport comp mode does the same thing.

What GM should have done is put a symbol up for sport comp and PTM.

The link JSH posted does explain this.

The PDR will not show that the nannies are on or off. It will show when the car loses traction, the car fishtailing symbol,, but nothing else. That's in any mode.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:09 PM   #7
LiqTenExp

 
LiqTenExp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 764
Traction Control and Stability Control lights will be on while in PTM, you have turned off the standard Traction/Stability Control and now are using PTM Traction Control and Stability control, all is normal! Agree, wish there was a light for PTM.

I only ride around in PTM, the standard Traction Control and Stability Control have no idea how to handle the extra 250 whp my car has, PTM Traction Control and Stability Control can/do.

My usual turn on is: Track, tap TC twice, down down (Sport 1), select, rev match enabled.
__________________
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6 (847whp on Dynojet)

Last edited by LiqTenExp; 09-26-2021 at 08:19 PM.
LiqTenExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #8
Canadian ZL1
 
Canadian ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Yes the warning light(s) WILL stay on. It's there to let you know you better not floor the throttle and expect traction control/stability to help.

I can't remember if sport comp mode does the same thing.

What GM should have done is put a symbol up for sport comp and PTM.

The link JSH posted does explain this.

The PDR will not show that the nannies are on or off. It will show when the car loses traction, the car fishtailing symbol,, but nothing else. That's in any mode.
Thanks...it all worked out. Was at the track yesterday and when I reviewed my PDR footage sure enough it showed Sport 1 = PTM
__________________
_____________________
'17 ZL1 HBM|A10|NAV|PDR|CFW Hood|Sunroof
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #9
Canadian ZL1
 
Canadian ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
Traction Control and Stability Control lights will be on while in PTM, you have turned off the standard Traction/Stability Control and now are using PTM Traction Control and Stability control, all is normal! Agree, wish there was a light for PTM.

I only ride around in PTM, the standard Traction Control and Stability Control have no idea how to handle the extra 250 whp my car has, PTM Traction Control and Stability Control can/do.

My usual turn on is: Track, tap TC twice, down down (Sport 1), select, rev match enabled.
Yes agreed I wish there was a light saying you are in PTM mode...in any event successful day at the track.

If you are pushing an additional 250 rwhp I'd say keep all the nannies on and I am assuming you are suggesting PTM Sport 1, Sport 2 or Race does not help you! So you probably just keep it in standard Track mode with PTM not enabled.
__________________
_____________________
'17 ZL1 HBM|A10|NAV|PDR|CFW Hood|Sunroof
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:50 AM   #10
PROMETHEUS

 
PROMETHEUS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,383
The orange light stays on in Sport 1 and 2. You still have some of those functions working in Sport 1 and 2. I believe in Race all of the traction control and ECM are turned off.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:05 PM   #11
JSH

 
JSH's Avatar
 
Drives: '20 ZLE A10
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,949
You will need a team of people logging and studying data to figure out which of the gazillion modes is best for a particular track/day.
__________________
HPE 850 + KongX + GT100 = 1050 bhp corrected
1.60/10.56/131 @ 8043 DA (9 runs so far)
3735# w/o driver

On order:
Kong LT4 TVS R2650; LPE BBDI FP; XDI +30
Some previous cars:
2016 GTR
2013 GTR
2011 BMW M3
2006 PS GTO 4-link sportsman race car (6.52/212)
2001 LS1 (9.90 at 8000DA)
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #12
cdrptrks
 
cdrptrks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
You don’t have to press okay. Just up or down to the desired setting. Then it’ll stay in that setting until changed. You can also simply press up or down again and change the PTM on the fly from say sport to race.
Agreed both orange lights are normal while using a PTM mode. Pressing ok clears the selection screen but is not required for the PTM setting to work...it will choose whichever one is selected after several seconds of inactivity and clear the selection screen by itself. Disable your cruise control too because if you accidentally tap the set or resume buttons it will disable PTM.

Interesting I've never seen anyone mention that you can change PTM modes on the fly with the buttons above and below the ok button on the right side of the steering wheel. I'll have to try it and verify with PDR. Seems kind of dangerous if it doesn't show any visual confirmation of the mode change since you could accidentally press it while cornering and not know. I have done it by tapping the traction control button once, then double tapping it twice, then selecting the new PTM mode but it is hard to get all of that done correctly on a straightaway on track at speed before the next braking zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
The PDR will not show that the nannies are on or off. It will show when the car loses traction, the car fishtailing symbol,, but nothing else. That's in any mode.
On the infotainment screen if you select PDR, Choose Video Overlay, Track, then it will show the PTM mode on recordings. Not sure about Sport and Performance Timing overlay modes. If you hold the traction control button down for about 10 seconds then everything is actually off and both orange lights will illuminate but the PTM selection menu will not appear. No PTM mode will be shown on PDR recordings in this mode because one is not in use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
I believe in Race all of the traction control and ECM are turned off.
Race offers a slight bit of assistance compared to all off but it is still possible to spin the car in Race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You will need a team of people logging and studying data to figure out which of the gazillion modes is best for a particular track/day.
Nah, there are only 4 dry PTM options (plus wet at the top) and they are less invasive the farther down the list you go. This link explains more details:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
There is a recent, long and very informative thread here on the function of all transmission settings/modes. Search, here you go https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996

Last edited by cdrptrks; 09-28-2021 at 02:05 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #13
MakCamaro
Makis
 
MakCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: London - UK
Posts: 622
I can confirm that you can change PTM modes on the fly, as I have done it quite a few times. There is no need to tap the traction control button once, then double tap it twice and then select the new PTM mode.
__________________
Red Hot 2020 Camaro ZL1 A10 <-- Enjoying the hell out of it
Mosaic black 2018 Camaro 2SS A8 (sold)
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #14
MakCamaro
Makis
 
MakCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: London - UK
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
There is a recent, long and very informative thread here on the function of all transmission settings/modes. Search, here you go https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
This is actually a very nice thread, containing everything you need on the PTM modes. The OP in that thread explains almost everything and it also includes two tables with the characteristics of each mode. One of the most useful threads in this forum.
__________________
Red Hot 2020 Camaro ZL1 A10 <-- Enjoying the hell out of it
Mosaic black 2018 Camaro 2SS A8 (sold)
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.