Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
internationlriders

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Anyone supercharged on road courses?

Hi all, I have a 2017 SS 1LE and have been tracking my car a bit this past summer. There are ZL1 1LEs running at the track here as well, and we have the same corner speeds but obviously not the same straightaway speeds (smaller tracks). My question is, is anyone running a supercharger and spending a decent amount of time on road courses? If so how is it heat wise? I'm thinking of running a Maggie 2300 as I still feel the car needs a bit more oomph, I don't want a ZLE (suspension is way to harsh for a weekend warrior and road trips). Is it worth it to add a blower to my road course car or if I want a faster car should I get a different car? I have definitely maxed out my 1LE's cornering, braking, and acceleration and am pushing it's limits pretty hard. I've already approached spinouts on a number of corners at my local track (Castrol Raceway Edmonton) and have dialed it back slightly. My wife and I plan to do a lot more tracking going forward and with any luck I anticipate we'll attend at least half a dozen track events per year (Our other car is a 2019 MX5 we're working on setting up for the track as well) so if the blower will keep us going down this path that would be super cool.

The other thing I'm seriously considering is to get some 19" Apex wheels with some more track focused tires (currently running Supercar G3s on stock wheels).

The awesome thing is that this car is built so well from the factory I can't think of much to improve it other than a tidbit more power. My instructor took me out in his fully built Mustang boss and our cars are incredibly similar on track (he really built the crap out of his car).

My favorite quote from my instructor which I'll adapt to my situation is that "I'm a Porsche GT3 guy on a Camaro budget".

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."
internationlriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
You could do that, but IMO the answer there is to trade up to a ZL1 (non-1LE). Essentially the same ride as your current car but supercharged and has all the proper brakes/cooling/driveline/eLSD cals/etc that are needed to keep the car as reliable and refined as it is right now. Also get a fresh 5-year warranty (including track use) if you can find a new one. Trade-in values right now also make it more of a no-brainer to just switch cars if you can find one.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
internationlriders

Yep I keep running that scenario as well, but realistically it would be another $30k on top of trade-in. You are right though it's the most sensible way forward. It doesn't seem like many people put a blower on the SS for anything other than straight line racing which is why I'm curious about the road course. For way less than $30k I can have a built motor, headers, and a crazy torque curve but then again warranty

Old 09-10-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I wouldn't recommend it. Heat will be an issue, unless you get the right facia and intercooler setup. One of the best things about 1LE is the (relatively in Camaro context) less weight, and natural aspiration, and plenty of cooling to keep panging on it day after day.

If you're looking for more power, you could also look at having the car professionally tuned. There are packages out there which will put you at 550hp crank for about $5k. Been considering this one myself.

https://shop.katechengines.com/produ...s-lt1-stage-2/
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
internationlriders

Yep this is what I'm worried about most, heat and the tight tolerances of the LT1 piston rings, things could get outta shape real quick.

It is really awesome to be able to hammer this 1LE as hard as one can session after session and still drive home comfortable and worry free. The hottest track day I experienced this summer was 35c or 95F and although the G3 tires got a bit mushy and the brakes had a little bit of fade the rest of the car ran strong.

I don't think I've seen those katech packages before, that would be a sweet setup for sure! Keeping it NA would really rock on track as well!

Old 09-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #6
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
What are your laptimes vs a ZLE? In my experience (depending on the track) the SS can lap within 2-2.5 seconds of a ZLE.
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:14 PM   #7
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
What are your laptimes vs a ZLE? In my experience (depending on the track) the SS can lap within 2-2.5 seconds of a ZLE.
Just putting ZLE wheels and tires (Goodyear SC3R) on my SS 1LE reduced my NOLA Indy Straight lap times (2.72 mile course) by over 2.3 seconds even with brake pads that were overheating after a few laps. If driven by the same person in similar conditions or driven to the same level in similar conditions, there should be a gap that is quite a bit larger than 2.5 seconds between the ZLE and SS 1LE on a track around that length.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 09-10-2021 at 03:32 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
internationlriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Yes I don't know the exact times because the last time I was at the track (this past Monday) I forgot my SD card and didn't get any data but comparing our lap times from earlier in the season we're only a few seconds apart. I think my real gripe isn't the times as I'm not after lap times at the moment just a bit more acceleration in the straights. My last session I was able to pass my run group which included M3, M4, Mustang GT, Supercharged MX5, a couple heavily modded BRZs which are faster than me on corners, and a few other cars such as a non-1LE SS Camaro - the only car I didn't pass was a 2019 GT3 RS for obvious reasons

I'm really happy with this car overall but since I bought it in 2017 I knew I would be chasing a bit more power so now it's coming down to do I mod this car or save a bit and upgrade to something faster ie. ZL1.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
internationlriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Just putting ZLE wheels and tires (Goodyear SC3R) on my SS 1LE reduced my NOLA Indy Straight lap times (2.72 mile course) by over 2.3 seconds even with brake pads that were overheating after a few laps. If driven by the same person in similar conditions or driven to the same level in similar conditions, there should be a gap that is quite a bit larger than 2.5 seconds between the ZLE and SS 1LE on a track around that length.
This is very true, driver mod is a big one and I'm super thankful for the instructor I had who not only taught me this particular track (2.5KM long) but also gave me the experience of what it's like to drive with an expert (my instructor for this track has 4000+ laps) so simply by copying his line and technique it's been easy to squeeze the most out of my 1LE.

I know that if I was on more of a 'power track' the gap between the ZLE and my SS would be very big but on these smaller tracks it's only a few seconds.

How do the ZLE wheels fit on your car? Did you have to grind the front strut and how much do the wheels poke?

Old 09-10-2021, 05:40 PM   #10
cdrptrks

Yes I had to do the strut mod to avoid needing front wheel spacers and/or camber plates. They poke out quite a bit but didn't rub while driving on track. I also relocated the rear wheel well wiring harness to prevent the tire from rubbing through the fender liner and wiring harness. I would not run wheels that wide regularly on the street because they would probably throw a lot of rocks at my doors even with the ZL1 Addons rock guards.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:45 PM   #11
cdrptrks

Here's a picture.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2021, 05:47 PM   #12
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationlriders View Post

The other thing I'm seriously considering is to get some 19" Apex wheels with some more track focused tires (currently running Supercar G3s on stock wheels).
18" wheels would be preferred for a track car and gives you more tire options in the event you want to run slicks.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:16 PM   #13
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationlriders View Post
Hi all, I have a 2017 SS 1LE and have been tracking my car a bit this past summer. There are ZL1 1LEs running at the track here as well, and we have the same corner speeds but obviously not the same straightaway speeds (smaller tracks). My question is, is anyone running a supercharger and spending a decent amount of time on road courses? If so how is it heat wise? I'm thinking of running a Maggie 2300 as I still feel the car needs a bit more oomph, I don't want a ZLE (suspension is way to harsh for a weekend warrior and road trips). Is it worth it to add a blower to my road course car or if I want a faster car should I get a different car? I have definitely maxed out my 1LE's cornering, braking, and acceleration and am pushing it's limits pretty hard. I've already approached spinouts on a number of corners at my local track (Castrol Raceway Edmonton) and have dialed it back slightly. My wife and I plan to do a lot more tracking going forward and with any luck I anticipate we'll attend at least half a dozen track events per year (Our other car is a 2019 MX5 we're working on setting up for the track as well) so if the blower will keep us going down this path that would be super cool.

The awesome thing is that this car is built so well from the factory I can't think of much to improve it other than a tidbit more power. My instructor took me out in his fully built Mustang boss and our cars are incredibly similar on track (he really built the crap out of his car).

My favorite quote from my instructor which I'll adapt to my situation is that "I'm a Porsche GT3 guy on a Camaro budget".

I have been struggling with that very question for the last couple of years. Exacerbated since I live in Florida so most of my tracking is a Sebring, Daytona, PBIR and the FIRM.

Two years ago I picked up a set of Apex wheels and SC3R's. Huge improvement for me that strangely translated to my events on SC3's. I think the added confidence made me faster.

I have been debating doing an N/A build, but recently decided to just punt and get a car that is 'fast enough' from the factory. My last car I spent too much time and money trying to make it faster and I would improve one aspect to hit the limits of another aspect. I finally gave up and got the 1LE.

Now I am cross-shopping a CT5 Blackwing and a C8 Z06. I know they are completely different animals, but those are the two on my radar. Just waiting until 10/26 to see what the C8Z brings to the table. On the Blackwing side, it's essentially a 4-door ZL1.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:04 AM   #14
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Check out user NickyBoyRacer. He has a built NA motor and he’s faster than nearly everyone on track.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote