Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-22-2022, 05:50 PM   #1
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Looking for Hans Hybrid Feedback

I’m looking for some feedback on using a Hans Hybrid in a ZL1 with the standard 3-point belt.

I do a number of HPDEs every year and have gotten to a point, after about 30 of these over a number of years, where I’m running pretty fast. I work very hard to stay within myself, and the conditions present at the track on that day, but frequent the same couple tracks which I have really learned.

My car does not have any roll bar and other than having ZLE wheels/tires and a few minor mods is a stock A10.

I’ve read pros and cons about using a hybrid device without a bar in the car. What are most of you experienced track guys running with?
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Look at the Simpson Hybrid. I have used for 3 years and recommend by Chin and other groups, and discussed with several doctors, all gave a thumbs up.
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:57 PM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I won’t track without mine.

And I’d be extremely wary of anything you read that said a harness bar is a good idea on track.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:34 PM   #4
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I skipped the hybrid, but use Hans III with a bolt-in 4PT harness. No roll cage, no harness bar.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:40 PM   #5
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
The Simpson Hybrid-S is a MUST IMO with the speeds these cars are capable of. NHTSA minimum speed for airbag deployment is 14mph. I have heard most OEMs calibrate for a 35mph crash to meet this requirement while balancing the force of deployment. Doing 120+ with an extra 5lbs of head weight…you're going to smack the wheel before the airbag even deploys (my opinion; do your own research)

The Hybrid-S offers both a frontal restraint, but also a side-to-side, which is helpful in OEM seats without Halo protection. I have literally not heard of any negative safety aspects for their use in our cars.

If you go down this road, couple thoughts:
-I went with quick release pull-string style anchors since we have to take our helmets off to climb out the window. These are no longer approved by some racing orgs because they can snag and inadvertently release. Upside for me is one-handed release.
-Drape a t-shirt between headrest and front of seat. It will prevent the Hybrid-S from scratching the ZL1 seat trim piece.
-Hybrid-S is totally compatible with harnesses if you upgrade - I’ve done it.. (Watch Kyle Larsen climb out of his NASCAR…he wears this style and clearly has many options)
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:46 PM   #6
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I skipped the hybrid, but use Hans III with a bolt-in 4PT harness. No roll cage, no harness bar.
Can you elaborate on the 4 point no cage no roll bar harness that you use? Brand, install details etc. much appreciated
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:36 PM   #7
Blueclyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
The Simpson Hybrid-S is a MUST IMO with the speeds these cars are capable of. NHTSA minimum speed for airbag deployment is 14mph. I have heard most OEMs calibrate for a 35mph crash to meet this requirement while balancing the force of deployment. Doing 120+ with an extra 5lbs of head weight…you're going to smack the wheel before the airbag even deploys (my opinion; do your own research)

The Hybrid-S offers both a frontal restraint, but also a side-to-side, which is helpful in OEM seats without Halo protection. I have literally not heard of any negative safety aspects for their use in our cars.

If you go down this road, couple thoughts:
-I went with quick release pull-string style anchors since we have to take our helmets off to climb out the window. These are no longer approved by some racing orgs because they can snag and inadvertently release. Upside for me is one-handed release.
-Drape a t-shirt between headrest and front of seat. It will prevent the Hybrid-S from scratching the ZL1 seat trim piece.
-Hybrid-S is totally compatible with harnesses if you upgrade - I’ve done it.. (Watch Kyle Larsen climb out of his NASCAR…he wears this style and clearly has many options)
I tend to agree with your comments. I read from others that wearing them can be dangerous in cars without a roll bar, in the event of a rollover and collapsed roof.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:37 PM   #8
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
Can you elaborate on the 4 point no cage no roll bar harness that you use? Brand, install details etc. much appreciated
Borbeau 4pt. Picture attached. The 2 back straps attached to the rear seat belt factory mounting locations

I know NASA doesn't allow them, but all the clubs/organizers I do don't have an issue with them.

I like the car feel 4PT allows, and I think having a double-belt over the shoulder HANS is safer than seatbelt. So for me this was the right move.
Attached Images

5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:28 AM   #9
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I think we should add a new category called "Track Safety"...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:39 AM   #10
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Borbeau 4pt. Picture attached. The 2 back straps attached to the rear seat belt factory mounting locations

I know NASA doesn't allow them, but all the clubs/organizers I do don't have an issue with them.

I like the car feel 4PT allows, and I think having a double-belt over the shoulder HANS is safer than seatbelt. So for me this was the right move.
Thanks for sharing.
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:00 AM   #11
Barefoot Dave
Barefoot Dave

Drives: 2015 ZL1, 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I’m looking for some feedback on using a Hans Hybrid in a ZL1 with the standard 3-point belt.

I’ve read pros and cons about using a hybrid device without a bar in the car. What are most of you experienced track guys running with?
Blueclyde - I instruct over 45 track days per year and I will not get in a car without my Simpson Hybrid S. I recommend you go get fitted for it so you get the right size and get it adjusted correctly. This is the one you want. https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mpson-hybrid-s

I have a ZL1 and a Z/28, both with factory Recaro's, and have not seen any wear on the seats from using it but the recommendation of something to cover the trim may make sense as it was initially a concern of mine as well.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:44 AM   #12
Blueclyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Dave View Post
Blueclyde - I instruct over 45 track days per year and I will not get in a car without my Simpson Hybrid S. I recommend you go get fitted for it so you get the right size and get it adjusted correctly. This is the one you want. https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mpson-hybrid-s

I have a ZL1 and a Z/28, both with factory Recaro's, and have not seen any wear on the seats from using it but the recommendation of something to cover the trim may make sense as it was initially a concern of mine as well.
Dave - Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the Hybrid S is exactly the one I have decided on due to it be certified for 3-point harness.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:23 PM   #13
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
I get the point of the Hans devices; however, I come from an ATV/MX racing background also and often wondered if a simple neck brace that is used in MX would be sufficient. Not bashing the Hans, just always seemed a bit over the top. The point is to stop your head and helmet from flying forward in a crash and breaking your neck. The mx neck brace is designed to do a similar function AND prevent you from breaking your neck from impacts from multiple angles. I can tell you first hand ATV GNCC and MX crashes are pretty brutal and fatalities are often in the GNCC series.

Link to an example:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/r...5-neck-brace-p
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have a necksgen i got when i got my seat/harness/cage and its awesome but i get the appeal of the simpson one especially if you have multiple cars you race