Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-13-2022, 09:29 PM   #15
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Swapping the reverse light bulbs out for cool white, high performance LEDs improved nighttime backup camera image quality dramatically on my 2018. Not sure about the new rear view camera mirror, I never sat in a 2019+ Camaro in the dark.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:33 PM   #16
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokker View Post
Thanks for the great info guys.

Yes, when I look at the prices for used, I just can’t bring myself to pay thousands more than they paid when new. Can’t blame them though if that’s what they’re selling for.

Sounds like the backup camera is good. My current car is absolutely useless at night. Apparently the white bumper causes some kind of night contrast issue.

I do plan to order soon - which is why I’m trying to get up to Cinci to take a look at the riverside blue. I’m aiming for tomorrow now as the day got away from me and I want to see it in the sun.

Tx, good to know on the start stop. Current ride defaults to the slow mode every time, annoying. The rear view camera is awesome. I test drove one with it, and it’s legit next level.

Tom that car is beautiful. That’s actually the exact color combination that got me looking at Camaros. Love the blue, white stripe, and alloys. Just a great combination IMO.

Gunkk, is “Joe” someone a lot of people on the board have ordered from? Sounds like a good lead.
On another forum I used to frequent, a guy swapped out his backup lights for LEDs. Not sure if the Camaro has them as most manufacturers put regular incandescent bulbs for the minor things like turn signals or backup bulbs, but the consensus is that if you have LED backup lights, it really helps with backup cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Swapping the reverse light bulbs out for cool white, high performance LEDs improved nighttime backup camera image quality dramatically on my 2018. Not sure about the new rear view camera mirror, I never sat in a 2019+ Camaro in the dark.
Or yeah, what he said....
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:16 AM   #17
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Gunkk, is “Joe” someone a lot of people on the board have ordered from? Sounds like a good lead.
Yes. He's a dealer and forum sponsor with as good a reputation as it gets. He provides free order status updates and other info to forum members. Sponsors a big dinner at the annual Camarofest. They ship nationwide. I'm sure I'm missing a few other things. If you are thinking about ordering a car, you can't go wrong talking to Joe. Send him a PM and see for yourself

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:04 AM   #18
arpad_m

Dokker, here is Joe's order tracking thread with the status updates: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415251.

You'll also find many posts from and references to Becky D, she was his wife who unfortunately passed away in 2020 and Joe continued her legacy here on the forums.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

Old 01-14-2022, 05:59 PM   #19
Dokker

Drives: BMW 3 Series
Good info on the reverse lights. Now I wish I’d known about it and tried it on my current car.

Well.... made it up to Cinci and now I’m even more torn on the color. Loved the blue (although it was disappointingly very dirty) and also saw and loved the cherry tint. Both colors look great on the car.

Thanks for the lead, talking to Joe sounds like a no brainer. Once I settle in on what I want, I’ll shoot him a message.
Dokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:41 PM   #20
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
My experience with our 2SS vert is that Sport is normal mode for us and it remains there on startup following shutdown. But on occasion I drive in Track. And then it defaults to Tour.
While I find the rear view mirror cam a cool technology. I find it distracting to look at, as does my wife. We leave it off. The reverse cam is quite good. Although I am a mirrors guy. The reverse cam in my F-250 actually blinds me at night and I hate it as I never use it. So it fills the cab with overly bright light detracting from visibility. Often requiring me to hold my hand up to block it out. Theres no way to disable it and I have not found any way to dim it. The Camaro is much better in that regard.
Overall I think far too much is made of visibility issues.
That has never been an issue for either myself or my wife once past the initial test drives in the car. Although I do find myself leaning one way or the other or sitting straight upright at times while maneuvering. There are some blind spots but Im sorry... people need to be more engaged with their driving and those vehicles or objects in your blind spot.... should have been acknowledged before they entered a known area of limited visibility.
We bought ours off the lot last winter at 7 grand below sticker. We are pleased that our purchase has held its value. But its an illusion. These are not investments.
That said, overall, these are great cars. I think 99% of owners would agree and love their Camaros.
When we rented them in Fla. I was utterly thrilled with 455 hp and torque. Having owned muscle cars in the 70s the 2SS bests them in any performance metric other than pure mechanical brute visceral impression.
mostly due to inferior technology of the early cars....
After a year with the car... I feel its limitations at 455hp and crave the ZL1...
Still. Love our Camaro.
Keep the thread going as it will be interesting following you through your purchase and initial reactions to the car.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:42 PM   #21
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Good info on the reverse lights. Now I wish I’d known about it and tried it on my current car.

Well.... made it up to Cinci and now I’m even more torn on the color. Loved the blue (although it was disappointingly very dirty) and also saw and loved the cherry tint. Both colors look great on the car.

Thanks for the lead, talking to Joe sounds like a no brainer. Once I settle in on what I want, I’ll shoot him a message.
I love the color blue and have had it on several of my past vehicles. That being said, it's almost as common a color as white/silver/grey/etc. Thus, I decided to go with the Wild Cherry. I figure it won't be as common as the blue but is also a head turning color. I just hope it doesn't fall in line with the other red colors that attract attention from Five-O.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:40 PM   #22
armycop71
Love my Satin Steel LT-1!

Drives: 6-Speed LT-1...
I ordered mine through a local dealership, because I have a better relationship with them. I've bought a car through them before, and there was no bullshit. The "big" dealer I went to had an automatic $2,500 markup on most cars (including factory orders), bigger markups on the more rare cars, C8's and Camaro V-8 models, Tahoes. My dealership may not get the allocation as quick as the big dealer, but I know I'm getting MSRP minus the rebates I qualify for, not a surprise markup when I go pick it up.

6-Speed Man|Carbon Flash Wheels
Technology Pkg|NPP|Satin Blk Pkg
ZL1 Rock Guards|Red Knee Pad Set
PBC LT1 engine built by Debi Lewis
armycop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #23
Dokker

MR - based on my lone test drive I agree about the blind spots. It wasn't bad at all. In fact my current car has super dark windows (it came that way and I'll never get that dark again) that you literally have to row the windows down at night to see at stop lights and stop signs. This was a breeze compared to that.

The rearview mirror was incredible... but I did notice it took my eyes a moment to focus each time I looked at it.

TX, I'm leaning that way too, maybe 51/49 with the Cherry Red. The color is awesome. But the car itself just looks soooo good in blue. First world "problem" for sure.

No ties to any dealership really, just don't want to pay over sticker or wait like a year or something.

Last edited by Dokker; 01-15-2022 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:13 PM   #24
arpad_m

Quote:
MR - based on my lone test drive I agree about the blind spots. It wasn't bad at all. In fact my current car has super dark windows (it came that way and I'll never get that dark again) that you literally have to row the windows down at night to see at stop lights and stop signs. This was a breeze compared to that.

The rearview mirror was incredible... but I did notice it took my eyes a moment to focus each time I looked at it.

TX, I'm leaning that way too, maybe 51/49 with the Cherry Red. The color is awesome. But the car itself just looks soooo good in blue. First world "problem" for sure.

No ties to any dealership really, just don't want to pay over sticker or wait like a year or something.
I was in the same "quandary" between garnet red tintcoat and hyper blue metallic, IMO these were the two most royal Camaro colors for the 6th gen, both of them absolutely amazing. In the end I went with garnet red and never regretted my choice, but it was close to a coin toss.

The new cherry red is pretty nice, too, I'd choose that over both of the current blues.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:31 PM   #25
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:

It's funny but the Leaf that I just bought to replace my full-sized truck, I am thinking I'm not going to bother tinting the windows. Then again, it's the middle of Winter and I'll probably change my mind come summer time.

Here is a side by side (top/bottom depending on your screen size) which I'm sure will only make the decision harder. The blue is spectacular, but I've had plenty of blue cars, and this wild cherry is as close as I'll get to the "Some Like It Hot Red" of my soon to be replaced SS Sedan.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #26
Dokker

Welp... talked to Joe for a bit, thanks for the lead on that as he provided great information. Sounds like I can order something.... but maybe not so great chances it arrives. So, I may have to be less picky, particularly with the PDR which I was looking forward to (cool toy).

And TX, great pictures... and you're right it didn't help as both are incredible looking cars

Arpad, haven't seen the garnet red. But it looks great and I really loved the hyper blue from those model years as well. For now, it's all I can do to find a new riverside blue (any trim) within 75 miles. I've seen 2 and both were dirtier than any car I've ever owned.

Anyway, off I go to read up on alternatives to the factory PDR.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:00 PM   #27
Dokker

Quick question - can someone help me understand how "allocation" works? If a certain dealer has an allocation available, does that mean less wait? And it sounds like a PDR takes a separate/additional allocation?

Wondering if I could find a small local dealer that hasn't used their Camaro "allocation" and might get an ordered car sooner?
Old 01-20-2022, 07:37 PM   #28
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Quick question - can someone help me understand how "allocation" works? If a certain dealer has an allocation available, does that mean less wait? And it sounds like a PDR takes a separate/additional allocation?

Wondering if I could find a small local dealer that hasn't used their Camaro "allocation" and might get an ordered car sooner?

I went with a larger dealership and the salesman claimed that they have a rep that gives them extra allocations. Find a large dealership, ask them if they'll sell at MSRP, and go ahead and place your order now. The dealership will need the down payment to make sure that you're serious, but at least it gets your foot in the door. PDR, ZL1 wing (if you're interested in one) be damned, get as close to what you want and get your name in. I put my order in on December 8th. It is tentatively being built in 4 days and should be ready a few weeks after. If you get your name in now with a large dealership, I suspect you'll have what you want by the 2nd week in March (as long as you stay away from the PDR and possibly any 1LE options). The longer you wait, the further back it's going to be before it arrives.