Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Estimate WHP after GPI mods/tune. Sitting at 390 w/ LTH, HiFlo cats, vararam cai.
<450 0 0%
450-475 11 57.89%
475-500 6 31.58%
500+ 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2022, 07:47 PM   #99
Armyavi8r

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
I picked her up from GPI and drove some winding roads, etc. Awesome! Handles so much better on tight turns- no noticeable body roll. I'd say there's a small penalty in ride quality, but really not much different from stock suspension. Steering may be a bit more responsive as well- not sure if the upgrade resulted in slight oversteer but it feels like it shifted from slight understeer to slight oversteer. Also, noticeably less squat during launch (probably more due to the BMR trailing arms). Hopefully this is helpful for anyone considering this upgrade. Recap of the build- 1LE suspension upgrade kit (including installation of compatible lower control arms- REQUIRED for 2010 and 2011 and not included in the kit, GM part # 23484878). Also BMR toe rods, trailing arms and strut tower brace. Very pleased with this upgrade!
2010 2SS/RS A6. GPI SS3 VVT Cam, 228/246 / AFM Delete / Circle D 4C 36-3800 Stall / Stainless Works LTHs, High Flow Cats, X-pipe, Borla Pro XS Mufflers and Quad Tips / Vararam CAI / Soler 95mm PTB / AAM 3.91 gear / GPI Ported Heads / GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake Manifold/ Smith Bros. Trunnions / GPI 5/16" hardened push rods, 7.425"/ Chevrolet Racing Lifters / Melling 10355 Oil Pump / Powermaster XS Torque Starter / Derale Xmsn Cooler / 1LE Suspension Upgrade System / BMR Strut Tower Brace, Trailing Arms and Toe Rods / Powerbond 25% UDP / Mishimoto catch can / iDatalink Maestro.

Last edited by Armyavi8r; 01-05-2022 at 08:02 PM.
Armyavi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:58 AM   #100
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyavi8r View Post
I picked her up from GPI and drove some winding roads, etc. Awesome! Handles so much better on tight turns- no noticeable body roll. I'd say there's a small penalty in ride quality, but really not much different from stock suspension. Steering may be a bit more responsive as well- not sure if the upgrade resulted in slight oversteer but it feels like it shifted from slight understeer to slight oversteer. Also, noticeably less squat during launch (probably more due to the BMR trailing arms). Hopefully this is helpful for anyone considering this upgrade. Recap of the build- 1LE suspension upgrade kit (including installation of compatible lower control arms- REQUIRED for 2010 and 2011 and not included in the kit, GM part # 23484878). Also BMR toe rods, trailing arms and strut tower brace. Very pleased with this upgrade!
I've been looking into a set up like the one you just got, sounds killer. How's it do going over bumps and pot holes?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:51 AM   #101
Armyavi8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I've been looking into a set up like the one you just got, sounds killer. How's it do going over bumps and pot holes?
It's definitely more rigid so bumps are a bit more noticeable, but really not as bad as I expected, and I'm still breaking everything in as well. All in all, the handling improvements far outweigh any ride quality penalty IMO, and it's my daily driver.
2010 2SS/RS A6. GPI SS3 VVT Cam, 228/246 / AFM Delete / Circle D 4C 36-3800 Stall / Stainless Works LTHs, High Flow Cats, X-pipe, Borla Pro XS Mufflers and Quad Tips / Vararam CAI / Soler 95mm PTB / AAM 3.91 gear / GPI Ported Heads / GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake Manifold/ Smith Bros. Trunnions / GPI 5/16" hardened push rods, 7.425"/ Chevrolet Racing Lifters / Melling 10355 Oil Pump / Powermaster XS Torque Starter / Derale Xmsn Cooler / 1LE Suspension Upgrade System / BMR Strut Tower Brace, Trailing Arms and Toe Rods / Powerbond 25% UDP / Mishimoto catch can / iDatalink Maestro.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:16 PM   #102
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Just FYI, unless you changed the springs to something non-OEM, your ride height should be the same. The SS and 1LE springs are the same.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #103
Armyavi8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Just FYI, unless you changed the springs to something non-OEM, your ride height should be the same. The SS and 1LE springs are the same.
Yep, that's a fact. Ride height didn't change as far as I can tell.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #104
Armyavi8r

What do you recommend next?!!

So my 3 Big upgrades that I planned have been completed (intake/exhaust, Cam and supporting mods, and chassis/suspension).

I'm happy with the power and performance of this daily driver (she's at 60k on the odometer). Great power for my needs (subsequent dyno came out at 475 rwhp), love the sound, and she handles just awesome now.

I'm not looking to make 700whp, not looking to go FI, not looking to change the exhaust from current config and I don't plan to lower it or convert to E85.

Really looking at making current configuration optimal and durable. That said, considering the following but would love to get some other recommendations from you guys; your recommendations have really helped out thus far!!!

- Oil Pump
- Fuel injectors
- Lower thermostat
- Exhaust header wraps
- Stronger starter
- 1LE wheels

Recommendations on the above or anything additional?

Thanks again to all of you that have helped and I hope documenting this is helpful for those who are setting out to do a build.

Last edited by Armyavi8r; 01-07-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:29 AM   #105
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I don't see solid rear subframe bushings on your mod list, have you done those?

Oil Pump - could upgrade to a Melling!

- Fuel injectors - not worth it at your power level
- Lower thermostat - could do...but the car will get up to temp anyway
- Exhaust header wraps - not a bad idea! If I could go back in time I would have wrapped mine before I put them in

As far as wheels, find the lightest you can! In fact, if you can get some 19s you'll save weight there too!

A stronger starter wouldn't be a bad idea, you can also add extra grounding cables, one at the alternator, one at the battery in the trunk.

Have you seen the JRE intake scoop/washer bottle relocation kit?

Have you done the fuel rail flip?

Have you done the heater hose upgrade?

How about an aftermarket tranny pan? It has more fluid and maybe fins too to help with cooling.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:33 AM   #106
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyavi8r View Post
What do you recommend next?!!

So my 3 Big upgrades that I planned have been completed (intake/exhaust, Cam and supporting mods, and chassis/suspension).

I'm happy with the power and performance of this daily driver (she's at 60k on the odometer). Great power for my needs (subsequent dyno came out at 475 rwhp), love the sound, and she handles just awesome now.

I'm not looking to make 700whp, not looking to go FI, not looking to change the exhaust from current config and I don't plan to lower it or convert to E85.

Really looking at making current configuration optimal and durable. That said, considering the following but would love to get some other recommendations from you guys; your recommendations have really helped out thus far!!!

- Oil Pump
- Fuel injectors
- Lower thermostat
- Exhaust header wraps
- Stronger starter
- 1LE wheels

Recommendations on the above or anything additional?

Thanks again to all of you that have helped and I hope documenting this is helpful for those who are setting out to do a build.
I highly recommend the melling 10355HV oil pump..
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:45 AM   #107
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
You have a trans cooler? Dipstick mod?
Also a deeper tranny pan is on my list too.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:39 AM   #108
Armyavi8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
You have a trans cooler? Dipstick mod?
I've seen some other references to the dipstick mod. What can you tell me about that? I do have a trans cooler.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:41 AM   #109
Armyavi8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I highly recommend the melling 10355HV oil pump..
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I almost pulled the trigger during the cam mod but my oil pressure is always right on the money where it should be. Still, I like the idea of a stronger, zero-time oil pump for the long haul.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:49 AM   #110
Armyavi8r

Quote:
I don't see solid rear subframe bushings on your mod list, have you done those?

Oil Pump - could upgrade to a Melling!

- Fuel injectors - not worth it at your power level
- Lower thermostat - could do...but the car will get up to temp anyway
- Exhaust header wraps - not a bad idea! If I could go back in time I would have wrapped mine before I put them in

As far as wheels, find the lightest you can! In fact, if you can get some 19s you'll save weight there too!

A stronger starter wouldn't be a bad idea, you can also add extra grounding cables, one at the alternator, one at the battery in the trunk.

Have you done the fuel rail flip?

Have you done the heater hose upgrade?

How about an aftermarket tranny pan? It has more fluid and maybe fins too to help with cooling.
Yeah, will most likely go with the Melling oil pump. I didn't do the subframe bushings because I heard it translates a lot of road noise- have you experienced that?

Yeah I wish I had done the wraps during the LTH install as well. Live and learn.

Good info on injectors; was kinda on the fence here.

I've done the additional grounding cables, when I put in a higher CCA battery.

JRE intake scoop/washer bottle relocation? Unfamiliar- Tell me more!

the fuel rail flip is a good idea; did you do it?

I think I'll look into the tranny pan, makes a lot of sense.

Thanks Bro! Great input!
Old 01-08-2022, 08:22 AM   #111
Armyavi8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Is there one you are looking at in particular?
Old 01-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #112
Armyavi8r

Quote:

I'm guessing this is more for K&N type CAI and wouldn't do anything for my Vararam?