Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-30-2021, 07:55 PM   #1
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
0w-40 oil for V6 LGX

The 2019/2020/2021 owner's manual for Camaro says that for tracking/racing a Camaro with V6:

Quote:
Change the engine oil to 0W-40 or 5W-40 that meets the dexos2 specification. If this oil is not available, the following oil can beu sed as an alternative: Valvoline SYNPOWER MST 5W-40

The owner's manual for my Model Year for 2018 V6 LGX doesn't have this note. As a result, I have been tracking my car with default 5w-30 MOBIL1 Advanced Synthetic oil for 5 times without any problems.

Has anybody with a V6 motor tracked and daily driven his car with the 0W-40 oil? If so, are there any noticeable benefits?
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:44 AM   #2
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyebo View Post
The owner's manual for my Model Year for 2018 V6 LGX doesn't have this note. As a result, I have been tracking my car with default 5w-30 MOBIL1 Advanced Synthetic oil for 5 times without any problems.

Has anybody with a V6 motor tracked and daily driven his car with the 0W-40 oil? If so, are there any noticeable benefits?
The 2018 owner's manual doesn't have the note to use 0W-40 Dexos2 in the LGX but the performance supplement that comes with the 1LE models for 2018 does. There is also a note to overfill the V6 by 1qt for track use and to remove the extra quart before leaving the track which is a hassle and best done with a fluid extraction pump. I did this for my first 3 track days but now just check the oil throughout the day and it stays at max fill since my engine uses no oil.

Yes, I track and daily on 0W-40 Mobil1 ESP in my V6. The benefit is not changing oil back and forth for track days which probably ends up cheaper in the long run. I do increase the change intervals based on a balance of recommended track time in the performance supplement and the oil health monitor.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
What Wilbur said.
If you are tracking a non-1LE V6, it makes sense to follow the performance supplement recommendations.
I overfill by 1 quart for track days, but not autocross. I drain at the end of the event by using a Stahlbus valve.

I have done oil analysis and the Dexos2 5W40 or 0W40 oil holds up well for the entire oil change interval recommended by the car's computer (about 5k miles).
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #4
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
To add to this, as with ALL GDI engines, the high amounts of raw fuel pushed past the piston rings washes oil from the cylinder wall as well as dilutes the already far too thin of oil specified for street use causes a high number of failures on these high revving DOHC engines. So this is critical for long term protection. We recommend 5w50 full synthetic just from the research done on these and other GDI engines.

The confusion seems to be blindly trusting a owners manual or manufacturer than today must balance the CAFE fuel economy standards they must meet with engine longevity and protection. And the only reason they specify the thin oils is just to meet these rules. It has nothing to do with what's best for the engine.

From timing chain tensioners and chain wear to oil consumption issues and rod bearing failures, the far too thin of oils with these engines can be directly attributed to oil issues.

Then we have to examine the LGX engines PCV system. In order to slow the rate and severity of the intake valve coking issues all GDI engines experience as well, GM deleted the "positive" function of the PCV system so only passive venting takes place and no real evacuation, so much of the constantly entering damage and wear causing substances the are contained in the blow-by are left IN the crankcase to mix with the oil and accelerate wear and damage over time, the engine oil has to work extra hard to protect even for daily driving much less track abuse.

I bring attention back to us covering all of this when the Gen6 V8's and V6's were just released for 2016 and we warned of this and of course got flak as "The Engineers at GM surely know more about this" and of course we all saw the rate of engine failures running the thin oils during track events. Rod bearing failures being the most common. And of course GM then released the supplements on using a 0w50-5w50, but of course they cannot specify this for street use as that would disqualify their CAFE certs, so they only specify for track use even though your engine will last longer.

Hope that helps, and remember, our Patented E2-X system design addresses all of this as well on the LGX by adding IM vacuum back in for proper removal of these substances before they can settle and mix.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #5
Xyebo

Thank you, all. I will try Mobil1 0w-40 ESP. Damn this oil is pricey though.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #6
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
This is what my 2019 Track Preparation guide says, so yes, you should be fine running 0W-40 or 5W-40 dexos2 on the track. I am not sure if you could copy the V8 guideline and leave it in for DDing, though.

As for running 15W-50 for DDing, I am not so sure about that. Modern engines have pretty tight tolerances nowadays and while you might want a thicker oil on the track due to the oil getting hot and thinning out, it may not be too friendly for parts when you are DDing where oil temperature doesn't go past water's boiling point. So many nooks and crannies in the engines nowadays, and things like VVT are pretty sensitive to the type of oil you are using. Realistically, no one drives hard enough on the streets for 5W-30 to be an issue in a 2.0T or V6.

If you are concerned, send some oil in for UOA and let that decide things for you.
Attached Images

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #7
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I would suggest if you have a non 1LE car not to over fill your engine with oil. There are no mentions in any owners manual or the performance manuals of any year on the Gen 6 for track modes for the LGX Non 1LE model. All the recommendations are for the standard ZL1, SS LT1/1LE, LGX 1LE, or Turbo 1LE. I image overfilling the engine by one quart is due to the oil coolers on the 1LE models. I would also suggest sticking with the 5w30 full syn unless you plan on changing out after tracking. I would suggest following the hours suggested fluid changes on the trans and rear end though.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
Xyebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_xmas View Post
The 2018 owner's manual doesn't have the note to use 0W-40 Dexos2 in the LGX but the performance supplement that comes with the 1LE models for 2018 does. There is also a note to overfill the V6 by 1qt for track use and to remove the extra quart before leaving the track which is a hassle and best done with a fluid extraction pump. I did this for my first 3 track days but now just check the oil throughout the day and it stays at max fill since my engine uses no oil.

Yes, I track and daily on 0W-40 Mobil1 ESP in my V6. The benefit is not changing oil back and forth for track days which probably ends up cheaper in the long run. I do increase the change intervals based on a balance of recommended track time in the performance supplement and the oil health monitor.

Did you notice any fuel consumption changes on the street?
Old 07-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #9
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
I would suggest if you have a non 1LE car not to over fill your engine with oil. There are no mentions in any owners manual or the performance manuals of any year on the Gen 6 for track modes for the LGX Non 1LE model. All the recommendations are for the standard ZL1, SS LT1/1LE, LGX 1LE, or Turbo 1LE. I image overfilling the engine by one quart is due to the oil coolers on the 1LE models. I would also suggest sticking with the 5w30 full syn unless you plan on changing out after tracking. I would suggest following the hours suggested fluid changes on the trans and rear end though.

My understanding is that the overfill for track use is because the car is wet sump, not because it has an added oil cooler. Thus, my inference is that a non-1LE car would enjoy the same benefit from overfill as a 1LE car. I would bet it isn't mentioned in manuals for the non-1LE cars because so few of them go to the track, and even fewer go frequently enough to the point that these precautions are needed to prevent oil-related failures within the warranty period.

The OP is in Los Angeles, so the car will likely not be operated under 30 degrees. I seriously doubt that a 5W40 or 0W40 oil will be any kind of a problem for year-round use. I am in San Diego and have been running this slightly heavier oil full time in my LS 1LE. I mostly follow the oil change schedule recommended by the car, and my Blackstone oil analysis results have been excellent.

Last edited by Roostie; 07-07-2021 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Quote:

Only a very professional analysis, in highly controlled conditions, would be able to detect a difference in efficiency between 5W30 and 0W40 or 5W40. There are at least several other variables - such as traffic, weather, summer/winter fuel blends, minor changes in driving style, payload in the car, and tires - that each have greater impact on mpg than a small change in the oil viscosity range.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:02 PM   #11
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
My lifetime average mpg in this car is about 17 so I don't know if I am the best source, lol. I can say with 295 width 200TW tires and 0W-40 and the factory aero with the SS brake ducts (scoops on control arm) I get about 25mpg at the best on the highway. I don't know how much of the decrease is related to the oil viscosity but probably less than 1 mpg.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
dpevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post
My understanding is that the overfill for track use is because the car is wet sump, not because it has an added oil cooler. Thus, my inference is that a non-1LE car would enjoy the same benefit from overfill as a 1LE car. I would bet it isn't mentioned in manuals for the non-1LE cars because so few of them go to the track, and even fewer go frequently enough to the point that these precautions are needed to prevent oil-related failures within the warranty period.

The OP is in Los Angeles, so the car will likely not be operated under 30 degrees. I seriously doubt that a 5W40 or 0W40 oil will be any kind of a problem for year-round use. I am in San Diego and have been running this slightly heavier oil full time in my LS 1LE. I mostly follow the oil change schedule recommended by the car, and my Blackstone oil analysis results have been excellent.
I would think if the engineers at GM wanted non1LE LGX cars to add a quart of oil prior to tracking they would have included it in the manual. I couldn't see how they would miss it in these days of CYA. Will keep an eye on the oil pressure when I hit the track Monday.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #13
dpevans

Just a follow up, after a hard day of track driving at Gingerman I had zero issues with oil pressure or oil consumption. I would assume the extra quart of oil is for cars that are designed to exceed 1.0g in the corners and could suffer oil starvation on the pick up. I pushed hard, the car is rated for .87g and I hit .9 a couple times and never lost oil pressure.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #14
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post
The OP is in Los Angeles, so the car will likely not be operated under 30 degrees. I seriously doubt that a 5W40 or 0W40 oil will be any kind of a problem for year-round use.
In cold weather, a 5w40 would be just as good as 5w30 in cold-start situations, and 0w40 would be even better. Once the oil is warm, the outside ambient temps don't matter anymore.