Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 02-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Continental dws06 review

Bought some dws06's for winter here in Toledo. Overall a decent tire. Good in the snow and we've had a lot of it! Wet traction is good as well.

HOWEVER, there is nothing high performance about this tire in the dry. I don't know if it's the salt on the road or what. But if I give it even a little gas in track mode they just spin until the flashing stabilitrak light stops flashing. Tap the gas even a little around a corner, and sideways ya go. I know they are all seasons, and I know I bought them for winter. Just disappointed since I spent more for a performance all season. Im hoping it's just the salt on the road but I can't imagine it making a huge difference. Anyway, if it were me doing it over, I'd just buy regular all seasons.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
What kind of temps are we talking here?
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I would say salt/sand and the cold.
Some good reviews on that tire related to performance driving....generally in warmer temps.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
RyanR623

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I would say salt/sand and the cold.
Some good reviews on that tire related to performance driving....generally in warmer temps.
19 degrees today. Hoping for better performance without salt on the road and higher temps. Just weird that the eagle f1s gripped better in similar temps. But without the salt. I'll update as time goes on. Maybe salt on the road has that much effect on grip. But I haven't found an article one way or the other
Old 02-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Salt acts as a lubricant on roads if you push your limits.

I have BFG A/S and they are not great snow tires. IMHO if you drive in snow get real snow tires.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
Bought some dws06's for winter here in Toledo. Overall a decent tire. Good in the snow and we've had a lot of it! Wet traction is good as well.

HOWEVER, there is nothing high performance about this tire in the dry. I don't know if it's the salt on the road or what. But if I give it even a little gas in track mode they just spin until the flashing stabilitrak light stops flashing. Tap the gas even a little around a corner, and sideways ya go. I know they are all seasons, and I know I bought them for winter. Just disappointed since I spent more for a performance all season. Im hoping it's just the salt on the road but I can't imagine it making a huge difference. Anyway, if it were me doing it over, I'd just buy regular all seasons.
RyanR623
I'm here in cleveland. I bought these dws06's for the summer to replace the stock summer tires as they are horrible in the rain. I have no problem with these dws06's in the rain, spring or summer...HOWEVER, you bought these for winter? Big mistake.. I use dedicated blizzaks 18" for the winter with no issues. You don't buy all season tires for the winter in ohio, they are
useless...NO worries cause I didn't know either. But before I bought them i searched this forum for information for what to use and what to expect for all season tires, summer tires and winter tires. So i was armed and ready with knowledge prior to going to tirerack.com and buying them..
Don't mean to be harsh just trying to help out..

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
RyanR623

Ok. Update. It was warmer than usual here today, and the melting snow washed the heavy salt off the road. The dws06's hooked up great. Not near as good as the eagle f1's but I was pleasantly surprised. I had no idea salt on the road could have such an impact on traction.

Zack46... dws stands for dry, wet, snow. They plowed thru 4 inches of snow on the road multiple times. Absolutely great. And I don't chew them up like winter tires. Sorry but if you're using these as summer tires you are losing a ton of performance and grip. They are all season tires. P4S. Do your self a favor and research them. I had to try and make them break loose in the rain, and they are sticky as hell in the dry.

Last edited by RyanR623; 02-02-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
Kromer

Drives: Camaro 17 2SS
Ryan, I have a similar opinion about the Continental dws06. I use them as a winter option in NYC instead of the 2ss OEM's because of the recommended 40+ F for the Goodyears. I do not plan to drive in snow per se, but I do drive in cold weather. Good wet traction especially compared to the OEM's but not as good of a traction in the sunny weather. Usually cold weather half pedal is slight wheel spin, 3/4 pedal is already wheel spin with 0 movement. Compare this to the OEM: half pedal full grip, 3/4 pedal slight wheel noise and full pedal wheel spin but some movement.

Still very happy with the Continental dws06. I might try to keep them going into July to see how they perform in the sunny weather. Also worth mentioning way less tire noise than the Goodyears.
Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #9
RyanR623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
Ryan, I have a similar opinion about the Continental dws06. I use them as a winter option in NYC instead of the 2ss OEM's because of the recommended 40+ F for the Goodyears. I do not plan to drive in snow per se, but I do drive in cold weather. Good wet traction especially compared to the OEM's but not as good of a traction in the sunny weather. Usually cold weather half pedal is slight wheel spin, 3/4 pedal is already wheel spin with 0 movement. Compare this to the OEM: half pedal full grip, 3/4 pedal slight wheel noise and full pedal wheel spin but some movement.

Still very happy with the Continental dws06. I might try to keep them going into July to see how they perform in the sunny weather. Also worth mentioning way less tire noise than the Goodyears.
I was really happy with the road noise. They are comfortable as well. When the salt washed off grip wasn't AWFUL seeing as they are all seasons. I'll keep em around for next winter.

Thanks for the response!
Old 02-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromer View Post

Agreed, based on my VERY limited experience with both tires.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:23 AM   #11
Silverado57

Warmer weather is here and I'm thinking about switching back to the stock Goodyear F1 runflats.
I'm curious what kind of tire mileage I can expect from the DWS06 vs the Goodyear F1s?
Old 04-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #12
HackSaw

One thing i noticed was the continentals dont throw road debris against the paint near as bad as the stock goodyears do
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #13
Yanniz

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Just ordered a set but I only have a V6, only street driving.

Couldn’t bring myself to put Grand Touring tires on this car.

Will see how the Dws06 does 👍
Yanniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #14
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I have ran the DWS06 tires on the wife's 16 Audi SQ5 with near 500hp for 3 years now. They are an excellent tire if someone wants a performance all season tire.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote