Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-27-2022, 08:00 AM   #953
bavarian3

Drives: BMW
Is the recommended setup still staggered 285/305 or is anyone running 305 all around in FS.
bavarian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:21 AM   #954
IntegraR0064

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian3 View Post
Is the recommended setup still staggered 285/305 or is anyone running 305 all around in FS.
I'm running 295 yoks all around in FS on stock wheels, which is similar to 305 width in any other tire. It's solid. Honestly I feel like most of the time it's actually a little pushy if anything, but I do tend to prefer a looser car than most. I have stock sway bars so maybe that's why people need staggered.

Actually yesterday's local event there were some very tight turnarounds and the car felt very pushy. Part of that was the fronts would get overworked though and it was really hot, so probably not the norm.

I kinda wanted to ask, what are people running for sway bars? Given what I just said I'm almost tempted to run a bigger rear one but I'm pretty sure people are mainly running bigger front ones or stock.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #955
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
It's really down to what sizes are available in the tires you prefer. For a while, everyone was running 305/30/19 "squared" RE71Rs on these cars, even with the staggered wheel widths. Seems like now most people (including me) are running Falken RT660 305/315 fitment. The Yoks don't come in those sizes, ergo the 295/30/20 recommendation if you want to run those tires. I don't think there is any nationally competitive tire that comes in OE sizes: the stock Goodyear SC3s are not too far off, but they are not as fast as the Yoks or Falkens.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #956
bavarian3

Drives: BMW
Quote:
I'm running 295 yoks all around in FS on stock wheels, which is similar to 305 width in any other tire. It's solid. Honestly I feel like most of the time it's actually a little pushy if anything, but I do tend to prefer a looser car than most. I have stock sway bars so maybe that's why people need staggered.
TY.

Quote:
It's really down to what sizes are available in the tires you prefer. For a while, everyone was running 305/30/19 "squared" RE71Rs on these cars, even with the staggered wheel widths. Seems like now most people (including me) are running Falken RT660 305/315 fitment. The Yoks don't come in those sizes, ergo the 295/30/20 recommendation if you want to run those tires. I don't think there is any nationally competitive tire that comes in OE sizes: the stock Goodyear SC3s are not too far off, but they are not as fast as the Yoks or Falkens.
TY.

I didn't happen to see any official BS or FS setups here (maybe need to improve my search terms). Looking to get into FS (did a stint in STX with a 128i) as I was told that the M3 is no longer a viable option due to 1LE/Mach1s.... looking to see how many in nats are going to be signed up for this class too as I heard previously it was dwindling.
bavarian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #957
clyde

Drives: broken
Not a lot of choice on tires right now. The 295 Yoks aren't available in 19" or 20" sizes (unless the ebay guy in Italy still has some) and Tire Rack shows late July availability for the 315 Falken. Not sure what availability is like, but Nankang has a 305 19" tire that you could run square and they have 305/30 and 325/30 20" tires that might work if the rear isn't so wide that it tears up the fender liner and driver side wiring harness (which you could relocate to avoid damage).

Re: sway bars... I'm on the stock bars. My car is generally neutral-to-loose with the balance being very sensitive/responsive to rear pressure adjustments. I don't get the impression that a bar would make the car much (any?) quicker, but a bar may help some drivers get more out of the car more consistently. Whether it's a front or rear bar depends on the driver.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #958
IntegraR0064

Quote:
TY.

I didn't happen to see any official BS or FS setups here (maybe need to improve my search terms). Looking to get into FS (did a stint in STX with a 128i) as I was told that the M3 is no longer a viable option due to 1LE/Mach1s.... looking to see how many in nats are going to be signed up for this class too as I heard previously it was dwindling.
I think it should be a pretty solidly attended class. I'll probably be in FS although I am getting bad thoughts of running something else at the moment.

And yeah the M3 isn't super far off but I'd be surprised to see M3's in the trophies at nats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Re: sway bars... I'm on the stock bars. My car is generally neutral-to-loose with the balance being very sensitive/responsive to rear pressure adjustments. I don't get the impression that a bar would make the car much (any?) quicker, but a bar may help some drivers get more out of the car more consistently. Whether it's a front or rear bar depends on the driver.
Thanks clyde, I've also noticed it's really sensitive to rear tire pressure. But it still wasn't enough for me to get it to stop pushing yesterday.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:26 PM   #959
21LE

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
IntegraR0064 do you mind posting some pictures of the fitment of the yoks on the fronts? I was thinking about this setup as well but thought the front would be a bit too pinched with how wide the they measure for the 10” wheel.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:55 PM   #960
IntegraR0064

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21LE View Post
IntegraR0064 do you mind posting some pictures of the fitment of the yoks on the fronts? I was thinking about this setup as well but thought the front would be a bit too pinched with how wide the they measure for the 10” wheel.
No problem. It's very much not an issue. Here are pics.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2022, 04:21 PM   #961
21LE

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraR0064 View Post
No problem. It's very much not an issue. Here are pics.
Thank you!!
Old 06-27-2022, 05:32 PM   #962
clyde

Quote:
I think it should be a pretty solidly attended class. I'll probably be in FS although I am getting bad thoughts of running something else at the moment.

And yeah the M3 isn't super far off but I'd be surprised to see M3's in the trophies at nats.
I think an M3 (ore more) could trophy this year in FS, but it depends on who shows up in what and how many trophy spots there are.

Quote:
Thanks clyde, I've also noticed it's really sensitive to rear tire pressure. But it still wasn't enough for me to get it to stop pushing yesterday.
It didn't look like Ken and Labbancz had any rotation in their videos from yesterday, so at least it wasn't just you.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:31 AM   #963
IntegraR0064

Quote:
It didn't look like Ken and Labbancz had any rotation in their videos from yesterday, so at least it wasn't just you.
They were waaaaay better off than me though. My gopro bricked itself sunday so I don't have video but can clearly see it in the data. This car as it is doesn't really turn on throttle. I think for most national level courses can drive around it especially since we have power but it was rough on that tight stuff.

I probably could have pumped up the rear pressures a bit more, and I was overdriving which made it worse, but still.

My last run I downshifted to first in every sweeper and that was entertaining, this car is a rocket ship in first lol.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:46 AM   #964
clyde

Quote:
They were waaaaay better off than me though. My gopro bricked itself sunday so I don't have video but can clearly see it in the data. This car as it is doesn't really turn on throttle. I think for most national level courses can drive around it especially since we have power but it was rough on that tight stuff.

I probably could have pumped up the rear pressures a bit more, and I was overdriving which made it worse, but still.

My last run I downshifted to first in every sweeper and that was entertaining, this car is a rocket ship in first lol.
There's kind of a Jeckyll and Hyde aspect to the car. It works so beautifully in fast stuff but it needs so much patience in slow stuff to the point I play mind games on myself to minimize overdriving some of the slow parts.

Based on those videos, my comments above were just saying that it looked like the course may have been way over towards the worst case scenario side of the scale. Low speed, tight, not a whole lot of flow.

It wasn't a course that would make me want to fix the car, but having a little adjustablity beyond tire pressures to make a course like that a little less painful would be nice, for sure. A bar is probably the only option there. Maybe you could do something with shocks if shock controllers were legal, but they're not.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:15 AM   #965
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Quote:

I kinda wanted to ask, what are people running for sway bars? Given what I just said I'm almost tempted to run a bigger rear one but I'm pretty sure people are mainly running bigger front ones or stock.
So I am on 305/315 falken setup. really happy with it and i am lucky enough to where i purchased two new sets at the start of this year. That said 305square depending on availability would also be decent, its what i rand back when i had RE71R's.

I only speak for falkens as i have not run yokos.

As for a sway bar i have a front hotchkis bar, set to medium or full stiff depending on how the car is feeling. The start of this year the blue pill was stuffer and pushier than i wanted it to be so i backed it off to the medium setup. works for me, may not work for others.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #966
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
There's kind of a Jeckyll and Hyde aspect to the car. It works so beautifully in fast stuff but it needs so much patience in slow stuff to the point I play mind games on myself to minimize overdriving some of the slow parts.

Based on those videos, my comments above were just saying that it looked like the course may have been way over towards the worst case scenario side of the scale. Low speed, tight, not a whole lot of flow.

It wasn't a course that would make me want to fix the car, but having a little adjustablity beyond tire pressures to make a course like that a little less painful would be nice, for sure. A bar is probably the only option there. Maybe you could do something with shocks if shock controllers were legal, but they're not.
Glad I am not the only one feeling this way on the cars personality. Great fast but yes a bit challenging in tight stuff. I have a good alignment and my last set of re71 305/30/19 tires. All else stock. We get some tight chicanes and tight slaloms and when you think you are coming in just right, your not and need to be slower. Our courses tend to be road course type so you are doing a good clip right before those elements so , yeah a bit tricky. Car responds well with sq tires and 30/28 psi for grip but response could be faster and more precise. And part of the problem for my group is a very old no grip surface.

In regards to surface grip, that does have an affect on setup as well. So take that into account. After a year on the hotchkiss front bar, and as others have found where I am , stiff bar doesn’t help. All it does is push more and in tight stuff forget it, it doesn’t turn in and you hit cones unless you slow way down, on big sweepers you are restricted as it understeers to much and the car just plows out. Just as you would expect from a front bar only change. All it does is why we add the bar for a sq setup, it puts weight to the rear to help the EDiff oversteer, or any oversteer from the sq setup. I don’t have that issue mostly with the psi I use , full gas tank and toe in I use. And that’s on stock front bar now. Now on a grippy surface it seems to work just fine according to a scca friend of mine. For years I ran a modded fifth gen Camaro built so it was similar to a zle, it worked well on grippy tarmac, but on the lots we use now, it was to stiff. Softer is better it seems,
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote