Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #925
conemark

Drives: Boost Coupe Stewie formerly '01 Z28
This past weekend we ran at NNJR with a Sam Strano advised course. Our first time out on Yokohama A052's (275/35R19 all around), which produced the fastest raw (albeit dirty) D-Street class time, ultimately landing in P2.

Feedback, comments, etc. for your viewing pleasure - https://vimeo.com/705229775
conemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #926
thothtp

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
What does everyone think is the tire setup for FS on unsealed asphalt?

I ran 305 square RE71s when I first got the car, and didn't love them - the car felt very unresponsive with the pinched front, and had some weird behaviors. Those were finished right before the end of the season so I put the stock goodyears back on - and immediately did way better.

Since then I have run both 19 and 20 goodyears, and really liked them on our surface, but I think it is time to try something again now that new tires are around.

I run in the Finger Lakes Region in NY at Seneca Army Depot, so 95% of my running is on the unsealed asphalt runway, with a single section of concrete, with reasonably cool temps (though it still gets hot in the middle of summer.) Have a codriver maybe half the time.

Are Falkens my ticket for this? I have seen a bunch of mixed opinions here, are 305/30r19 315/30r19 the right size, or should I go narrower? Anyone done some more testing?

Last edited by thothtp; 05-07-2022 at 07:13 PM.
thothtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:23 PM   #927
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothtp View Post
Are Falkens my ticket for this? I have seen a bunch of mixed opinions here, are 305/30r19 315/30r19 the right size, or should I go narrower? Anyone done some more testing?
That's odd that you went faster on GYs than RE71Rs. But if responsiveness is your priority, I think the Falken wins out over the Nankangs, and Yokohama doesn't really have a great size for our cars. Everything else right is somewhat slower.

The Falkens offer two options to you: 305/315 or 275/305. I've been running the smaller option, but everyone nationally seems to have settled on the 305/315 options. That's what I'm mounting up now. However, I think the 275/305 might give you more responsiveness due to the shorter sidewalls and stretched section widths. They may be a toss-up on times: I haven't seen anyone test them back to back on the same course/car/day. The concern with the small option is that they might overheat or wear out fast. I haven't seen it. I have put 146 runs on mine and there is plenty of tread left! I'm replacing them because they are getting to that "heat-cycled-out" phase where they need more and more runs to get hot enough to "switch on." In your cooler climate, there'd be even less worry. So if responsiveness is your love, then consider that option.

FWIW, it's worth mentioning that Sam Strano loves the GYs. I think he said they might be as fast for him as the Falkens or Nankgangs. My own experience is that they need heat to start working and somehow they wore out a lot faster than my Falkens (possibly pushing them too hard when not hot enough, and therefore scrubbing them off quickly?). Horses for courses and all of that. They are great track day tires for me, though.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:07 PM   #928
thothtp

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
That's odd that you went faster on GYs than RE71Rs.
I can't really explain it. Sam was the one that convinced me to try it - either it was coincidence and I just happen to finally figure out the car at that moment, or they just work on this car being made for them, or they just work really well at Seneca, or all of the above. Or most likely, they are better than the RE-71s, like Sam thought. That being said, with typically one driver and cooler temperatures I have felt left behind recently with the Falkens everyone else is running, going to give them a try. Still have the goodyears on my 20s to fall back on.

I ended up going with the 305/315s. I saw there were only 2 315s left, with restock in August, so I grabbed them. Plan to use them at the tour, we will see how it goes!

What are people running for hot temperatures on the Falkens? On the Goodyears I was running 28 front 26 rear typically. Sometimes 29/27.
thothtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:46 AM   #929
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I can't really explain it. Sam was the one that convinced me to try it - either it was coincidence and I just happen to finally figure out the car at that moment, or they just work on this car being made for them, or they just work really well at Seneca, or all of the above. Or most likely, they are better than the RE-71s, like Sam thought. That being said, with typically one driver and cooler temperatures I have felt left behind recently with the Falkens everyone else is running, going to give them a try. Still have the goodyears on my 20s to fall back on.

I ended up going with the 305/315s. I saw there were only 2 315s left, with restock in August, so I grabbed them. Plan to use them at the tour, we will see how it goes!

What are people running for hot temperatures on the Falkens? On the Goodyears I was running 28 front 26 rear typically. Sometimes 29/27.
Once the GYs warmed up they could almost keep up with REs, ime. My results using GYs closely followed the weather, lol... it had to be a hot sunny day for them to work, otherwise I'm not even close. However, I was on OEM tires which may not be exactly the same as other SC3s, from all accounts I believe that's the case and the non-OEM tires must be softer and warm up faster. I do like the way the car handles with the GY SC3s, REs or 660s are much different, but I think 660s are closer to SC3 and they're more forgiving at the limit vs REs. I was running 30/28 psi on 315/19 660s, but I have no idea if this is ideal, lol.

It also sucks it's going to be 4+ months backorder on 660s, I had to get a set now because my current tires may not last until they're restocked, and had to settle for 305s instead of 315s. Probably won't make much of a difference...

---

Also, the Hotchkis ft bar + ZLE rear bar make for a big change. With that + a more aggressive alignment the GMPP rear diff tune is also feeling a lot better, less abrupt now that it has the traction to manage what it's doing. With OEM bars and track alignment + square tire setup the rear diff tune could at times contribute to excess oversteer. Fun, but not as fast as it is now. It also slaloms faster and tighter, the rear end doesn't step out and hit cones like it used to. With new tires, now I feel I have nothing to blame but the driver if I'm not competitive.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:43 AM   #930
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
The concern with the small option is that they might overheat or wear out fast. I haven't seen it. I have put 146 runs on mine and there is plenty of tread left! I'm replacing them because they are getting to that "heat-cycled-out" phase where they need more and more runs to get hot enough to "switch on."
146 Runs

Mine have exactly 50 runs and definitely seem to be past the 50% wear mark.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:13 PM   #931
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
did my best to sync the videos

day one was wet and just was going nowhere but sidewise.

day 2 was a lot better. this car felt a little more pushy than the green one felt but could just be first events back in the car.

honestly ill probably not use PDR for autocross.. the quality and view just isn't worth it to me.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:41 PM   #932
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
this car felt a little more pushy than the green one felt but could just be first events back in the car.
Aligned the same? And if you had a bar in the old one (I can't remember), is that in, too?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:05 PM   #933
clyde

Drives: broken
Ran the NJ Pro this past weekend in a stock 1LE and placed 3rd of 17 in CAM. I ran in CAM instead of FS after seeing all the FS cars get beat down by the SS cars in Charlotte. NJ was another story. I think we wound up learning this weekend that under ideal conditions (good weather, high grip surface, and a "normal" starting straight length), S3 is balanced and the FS cars can compete with the mid- and rear-engined SS cars. OTOH, Charlotte taught us that a long start and low/medium grip surface make it possibly unclimbable hill for the FS cars to compete with those SS cars.

I'm registered for CAM in Lincoln later this week and S3 in Bristol, but I don't think I'll decide about Lincoln until techistration on Thursday.

My NJ vids:

Left side (if you don't like four letter words, you may not want to watch the end)

Right side
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:06 AM   #934
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Aligned the same? And if you had a bar in the old one (I can't remember), is that in, too?
Yep! front got a little less camber than the last time we did the green one but most likely cause its not really broken in yet.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #935
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Quote:
Or most likely, they are better than the RE-71s, like Sam thought. That being said, with typically one driver and cooler temperatures I have felt left behind recently with the Falkens everyone else is running, going to give them a try.

Definitely more pressure than SC3. I have settled on 35/33 on the 275/305 (smaller) setup. Based on observations of a couple of the top drivers in our region, non-SC3 tires only lowered times slightly (on the order of 10ths). For lesser drivers like myself, switching from SC3 to 660 was a significant boost.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:40 PM   #936
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
RT660s like higher starting pressures. I start at 34/32. This is 305/305.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #937
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
RE71R - 28 Rear, 27 Front 305 square setup. Seeing as I may need to replace 2 tires soon, good to know that RT600 like a higher pressure.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:47 AM   #938
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
RE71R - 28 Rear, 27 Front 305 square setup. Seeing as I may need to replace 2 tires soon, good to know that RT600 like a higher pressure.
Yeah I start at 29/27 on my 305 sq re71s. Third autocross lap at 30/31 and 28/29 rear is where she is fastest.

Friends run 35/33 on 660s on their zle’s with 305 sq. Another uses 35/35 but has a hotchkiss front bar set in middle

Last edited by VR Baron; 06-01-2022 at 10:54 AM.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote