Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #15
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Unless you plan to track, if you're only switching to all season tires for the winter I recommend just swapping the tires out it's only $80-$100 to do that but a good set of new wheels is at least $2k-$3k. Find a tire shop you trust and if they know what they're doing they wont damage wheels or tires. I've swapped at least 15 times in last 2 years for many HPDE track events, drifting on skidpad at Willow Springs, etc with no issues.

I track often so I have a second set of 18" wheels, which is the way to go IMO for track so you can use take-off slicks. They're much cheaper and stick like the SC 3Rs.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #16
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
Always get a second set of wheels. Heavy track use will beat the crap out of your wheels.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #17
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
Always get a second set of wheels. Heavy track use will beat the crap out of your wheels.
Are you saying to get the 2nd set so you don't use your OEM wheels for track?

I got the second set so I have 2 sets at track, OEM 19s which I run with GY SC 3R or Hoosier take-offs and drive to track on, and 18s which I run with Pirelli DH and I can fit in my ZLE and bring to track for later sessions.

With 2-3 day track events this is especially important, for better performance as well as having a backup if there is a wheel/tire issue.

I don't preserve my OEM wheels, if they get bent or chipped with gravel I have places that can easily repair for ~$100/wheel.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #18
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
second set of wheels?

i own 3+ the factory set. car is not a dd and doesn't get driven in the winter.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #19
Chippy
BanHamWatch

Drives: 21 ZL1 1LE
Apex SM10’s here with super car 3’s track duty factory rims with Continental much nicer ride and civilian for street use.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #20
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Are you saying to get the 2nd set so you don't use your OEM wheels for track?

I got the second set so I have 2 sets at track, OEM 19s which I run with GY SC 3R or Hoosier take-offs and drive to track on, and 18s which I run with Pirelli DH and I can fit in my ZLE and bring to track for later sessions.

With 2-3 day track events this is especially important, for better performance as well as having a backup if there is a wheel/tire issue.

I don't preserve my OEM wheels, if they get bent or chipped with gravel I have places that can easily repair for ~$100/wheel.
For my C7, I had 5 sets of wheels. 2 for street, 3 for track. I'm still slowly accumulating wheels for the Camaro, but I'll probably end up with 3-4 sets of wheels. But for most people, 2 sets are enough. 1 set for street driving and another set for track.

I don't like driving around town with beat to shit wheels looking like I'm poverty so I keep 1-2 sets that I will only allow certain shops to change. The track sets I could give a **** less about so Sam's Club/Costco/Discount Tire mounts tires on those.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #21
Chippy
BanHamWatch

Drives: 21 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
For my C7, I had 5 sets of wheels. 2 for street, 3 for track. I'm still slowly accumulating wheels for the Camaro, but I'll probably end up with 3-4 sets of wheels. But for most people, 2 sets are enough. 1 set for street driving and another set for track.

I don't like driving around town with beat to shit wheels looking like I'm poverty so I keep 1-2 sets that I will only allow certain shops to change. The track sets I could give a **** less about so Sam's Club/Costco/Discount Tire mounts tires on those.
Amen brother!
Old 12-04-2021, 05:08 PM   #22
Big Surprise

Drives: NONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCKgoFAST View Post
I just put a 2nd set of wheels and tires on my 1LE for the street and am saving the OEM set up for the track

Glad you like them
Big Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:09 PM   #23
SFV1LE

Quote:

That makes sense... I like having 2 sets of 18" track wheels and 1 OEM. That way I can bring 2 sets of Pirelli slicks to a track weekend and swap depending on how they perform or heat cycle out.

I don't agree with not worrying about who mounts my track tires, I would approach opposite way... I care about who mounts track tires and less about street. A cheap shop might not take care with mount/dismount and I often remove slicks to flip them or replace with fresher tire (I'll treat w/Hot Lap VL2 and remount the slick later). If they aren't careful shops can damage the bead, I'm much more worried about tire damage than rim damage.

Rim damage from tire shop is easily fixed 100% for ~$100 at later date, damaged tire bead can't be fixed, that's my $0.02 :-)
Old 12-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #24
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Surprise View Post
Glad you like them
I have the same Signature wheels but in 18" ZLE sizes as track wheels, in a glossy 2 shade black. They're already chipped up from gravel, I may repaint in matte before selling.

I love these wheels, yes the weight is great for performance and also when removing/mounting at track. OEM 19s are heavy.
Attached Images

Last edited by SFV1LE; 12-06-2021 at 12:23 PM.