Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
Sl1ckC4m4ro

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro SS
2018 Camaro SS / Headers Question??

So i recently have been working on my camaro and i want to get the Borla Performance Headers, but i still want it to be "Legal" but all i care about is passing the emissions test i don't want to be taking it off and putting it back on every year, so i was wondering if anyone has any experience with this here to help me out.

Also i was wondering if anyone knows what the size of the Stock headers outlet is, Before connecting to the CAT?

I also hear that the 2nd CAT is just there to be there and doesn't do anything is this true?
Sl1ckC4m4ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The only headers that will pass inspection and smog are shorty headers and to be honest they are not worth the time or effort.

If you go the long tube route you will not pas smog or inspection more than likely, plus every longtube header out there moves the primary cat which affects how fast the cat will light off.

As for your questions on the secondary cats, they are not monitored so you can remove them, but again depending on your state it can cause you to fail the visual inspection. GM used to make 2 versions of each vehicle, a 49 state that didnt use the secondary cat and the CA compliant version that has the secondary cat. GM also advertised a 5hp difference with the vehicles having the secondary cat being 5hp less than the other version.

The secondary cat does help in cleaning up the emissions but it is mainly there because the C.A.R.B. requires them to be in place and GM now only makes 1 model that is 50 state compliant.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
Sl1ckC4m4ro

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro SS
Thank you for your help!!! Really appreciated.
What all can I do to increase horsepower then since i was going to go with the headers
Sl1ckC4m4ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
you guys have smog shit in florida like cali? lol that sucks!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
Anthony2SS.RS

Drives: 2018 1ss
If you don't have smog check, headers are fine. If it's just visual and emissions as long as you still have a cat you should be ok. Best thing to do is find a shop that does the inspection and ask. What can it hurt? I know in PA we have emissions and visual, but a lot of cars run with headers and a tune to get rid of the check engine from moving the cat.
Anthony2SS.RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl1ckC4m4ro View Post
Thank you for your help!!! Really appreciated.
What all can I do to increase horsepower then since i was going to go with the headers

ported stock intake manifold and throttle body are about all I've seen for easy bolt on performance gains. And if you're not worried about warranty, the tune you can do to maximize those mods can get you some decent numbers. Check out Pray Performance on these forums. I've been fighting the same battle, but I cannot do the tune due to warranty considerations, so I am minimally improving performance.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kropscamaro16